Thread: Reload default Gnome3 desktop?

Default Reload default Gnome3 desktop?

I was playing with a theme (Atolm-GS) and followed the install instructions which stated to back up the /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme directory, and replace it with the one from the theme. I did this, logged off, logged on, got my wallpaper for a second, then the Oh No Screen. I logged off, logged in to IceWM, replaced the theme folder with the original, logged back in to Gnome3 and same thing. Alt+F4 does not get rid of the OH No screen.
    My ~/.xsessions-errors file contains the following:

/etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
    sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
    INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
    Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_US.UTF-8 ...
    There is no default input method for the current locale.
    Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by default)
    gnome-session[4649]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /etc/xdg/autostart/ksmolt-autostart.desktop: Invalid key name: X-KDE-autostart-condition[$e]
    gnome-session[4649]: WARNING: could not read /etc/xdg/autostart/ksmolt-autostart.desktop

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4733): WARNING **: Ignoring unknown module 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.gconf'
    GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-m36Sg0
    GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-m36Sg0/gpg:0:1
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-m36Sg0/ssh
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-m36Sg0/ssh

(gnome-settings-daemon:4733): PackageKit-WARNING **: failed to set proxy: failed to obtain auth

(gnome-settings-daemon:4733): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to set proxies: failed to obtain auth
    Initializing tracker-store...
    Tracker-Message: Checking XDG_DATA_HOME is writable and exists
    Tracker-Message: XDG_DATA_HOME is '(null)'
    Tracker-Message: Path is OK
    Tracker-Message: XDG_DATA_HOME set to '/home/mike/.local/share'
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/mike/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
    Tracker-Message: Loading defaults into GKeyFile...
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/mike/.config/tracker/tracker-db.cfg'
    Tracker-Message: Log verbosity is set to 0, disabling D-Bus client lookup
    Starting log:
    File:'/home/mike/.local/share/tracker/tracker-store.log'
    Initializing tracker-miner-fs...
    Tracker-Message: Checking XDG_DATA_HOME is writable and exists
    Tracker-Message: XDG_DATA_HOME is '(null)'
    Tracker-Message: XDG_DATA_HOME set to '/home/mike/.local/share'
    Tracker-Message: Setting process priority
    Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/mike/.config/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.cfg'
    liblazy (liblazy_dbus_send_method_call:97): Received error reply: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
    liblazy (liblazy_hal_get_strlist_manager:122): Error while sending method FindDeviceByCapability to HAL
    ERROR (gd_dbus_get_dock:36) Error looking for dock device
    INFO (main:38) No docking station detected, exiting...

Failed to play sound: File or data not found
    Starting Dropbox...
    (gnome-settings-daemon:4733): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to open directory: Error opening directory '/run/udev/firmware-missing': No such file or directory
    lpstat: No destinations added.
    Starting log:
    File:'/home/mike/.local/share/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.log'
    JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings
    JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!! fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!! stack = '("FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings")@gjs_throw:0
    ()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js:72
    ()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js:61
    Indicator()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js:41
    ()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js:1051
    start()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:204
    @<main>:1
    '
    JS ERROR: !!! message = 'FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings'
    Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings

(nm-applet:4787): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy
    gnome-shell-calendar-server[4839]: Got HUP on stdin - exiting
    Dropbox isn't running!
    Done!
    JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings
    JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!! fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!! stack = '("FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings")@gjs_throw:0
    ()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js:72
    ()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js:61
    Indicator()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org/extension.js:41
    ()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js:1051
    start()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:204
    @<main>:1
    '
    JS ERROR: !!! message = 'FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings'
    Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: FIXME: Only supporting null-terminated arrays of strings
    ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.50:/org/freedesktop/Notifications: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
    gnome-session[4649]: WARNING: App 'gnome-shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
    gnome-shell-calendar-server[4936]: Got HUP on stdin - exiting

Any ideas on how to fix or go back to default theme? I already tried reinstalling Gnome3 stuff and no change.
    Thank you in advance

Blog Entries

Default Re: Reload default Gnome3 desktop?

Hi
    Remove the xrandr extension, one of the supporting files is still broken.

Press Alt+F1 at the login (GDM) GUI and login as root user;
    Code:
    init 3
    zypper rm gnome-shell-extension-xrandr-indicator
    init 5 && exit
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Awesome, it worked!
    Thanks for the quick response...

Hi,

I use the Atolm theme exclusively on both my machines and it looks amazing. An easier to do this would be to install the gnome-tweak-tool, and simply install themes from there.

You can simply compress the "gnome-shell" themes folders as .zips from Nautilus itself. Very handy little feature, just thought I'd pass on some help

Oh, if you want to try different window borders, just download the themes and place them in her "/home/you/.themes", create the directory if it doesn't exist, and they show up in gnome tweak tool for easy change as well
    Desktop: OpenSUSE 11.4 | Dell Optiplex GX620 | 3GB RAM | Pentium D 820 2.8 Ghz | 40GB Internal, 250GB External | nVidia GeForce G210

Netbook: OpenSUSE 11.4 | HP Mini 5101 1366x768 model | Intel Atom N280 | 2GB RAM | 250GB Internal | Intel GMA950

I am using the Atolm theme as well, but it is only theming the shell elements. I have several themes placed in that directory, but when I use the tweak tool, the only themes that show are Metacity themes. Could I be missing a theme engine? Do you know all of the prerequisites to run the other themes? I am pretty sure I have all the correct GTK stuff installed.