Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop Packagekit update applet using command line

Default Stop Packagekit update applet using command line

I have a few PCs that are used by average joe's and whenever updates are available the update applet apears indicating there are updates. I usually update all these machines at the same time using zypper so in order to remove additional confusion how can I disable this? I've read in the forum how to stop it from starting up by going to Control Center | Startup Applications and unchecking Packagekit Update Applet. Is there a way to do this using the command line? I'm sure there is, after all this is Linux, I just need to know how. Reason being is I'll be ssh'ing into these machines to disable the update applet and don't want to touch all the machines and click my way to stop it at startup. Figure there has to be an easier way.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stop Packagekit update applet using command line

I'm unsure about this.

If I look at the file "$HOME/.kde4/share/config/kdedrc" then I see the lines:
    Code:
    [Module-kpackagekitd]
    autoload=false
    I am guessing that in a newly installed system, that says "autoload=true", and that it says "false" for me because I have turned off the automatic startup of KPackageKit.

It should be easy enough for you to check whether the current value is "true", change to "false" with an editor, then login to that system and see if that prevents KPackageKit from starting.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

like nrickert, i don't use kpackagekit at all so the actual location of the entry that starts it for a session is not something i can help with... however, if it is located in kdedrc there is a simple tool to change it from the command line courteously provided by the kde devs :

console login as the user to change, then

#kwriteconfig --file kdedrc --group Module-kpackagekitd --key autoload --type bool false

if the previously mentioned location/key is the right place, then this should accomplish what you are seeking.

more info about this type of edit can be gotten by

#kwriteconfig --help-all

good luck.

I guess I left out an important piece of information...I am running gnome.

I guess another option would be to set the Software Update Preference to check for updates to never. Is there a way to do that via the command line in gnome?

I am sure this is possible but I don't know what to do. The things I try don't remove the panel updater.

I HATE it so always just uninstall the kpackage rpm. If you are doing the updates anyway there is no need to keep it.

I don't run KDE, I am running Gnome. Is it safe to just uninstall Packagekit? Nothing will break?

Am at a slight disadvantage here as I don't use gnome but certainly from a kde point of view the kpackage rpm just provides an icon on the bottom right of the taskbar and the annoying checking for updates (at always the wrong time for me) and jamming up of yast. Removing kpackage (which is just the front end) doesn't cause any problem in doing updates.

On 2011-06-22 20:36, D8TA wrote:
    >
    > I have a few PCs that are used by average joe's and whenever updates are
    > available the update applet apears indicating there are updates. I
    > usually update all these machines at the same time using zypper so in
    > order to remove additional confusion how can I disable this?

Just remove the daemon. Delete it, uninstall it. There is no other safe method.

Remove the daemon, remove all the pk applets for both gnome and kde. Taboo
    them so they are not reinstalled.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast