Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing updates fails.

  1. #1

    Default Installing updates fails.

    I've had openSUSE 11.4 installed for about a week. I'm having some issues with installing updates. The first time I tried to run the updater, I eventually killed it because I assumed it had crashed because nothing happened for about five minutes. The second time was the same thing again, but this time I realised that it was asking for the root password and the popup box was behind the main window where I couldn't see it.

    With the password in, a few packages seem to get installed, and then the process stops due to "an unexpected error". The report log (from clicking 'Details') says that the user has cancelled the process - but I never touched it!

    When I shut the machine down, I get a message saying that KPolicykit has crashed.

    I've tried a few times now and get the same result every time.

    Prior to this, I had an issue with Firefox not starting ("could not load XPCOM"), so I removed it and reinstalled it via Yast. That did not complete either, but Firefox worked properly afterwards.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Installing updates fails.

    On 06/20/2011 09:06 AM, Carl H wrote:
    >
    > I've had openSUSE 11.4 installed for about a week. I'm having some
    > issues with installing updates. The first time I tried to run the
    > updater, I eventually killed it because I assumed it had crashed because
    > nothing happened for about five minutes. The second time was the same
    > thing again, but this time I realised that it was asking for the root
    > password and the popup box was behind the main window where I couldn't
    > see it.
    >
    > With the password in, a few packages seem to get installed, and then
    > the process stops due to "an unexpected error". The report log (from
    > clicking 'Details') says that the user has cancelled the process - but I
    > never touched it!
    >
    > When I shut the machine down, I get a message saying that KPolicykit
    > has crashed.
    >
    > I've tried a few times now and get the same result every time.
    >
    > Prior to this, I had an issue with Firefox not starting ("could not
    > load XPCOM"), so I removed it and reinstalled it via Yast. That did not
    > complete either, but Firefox worked properly afterwards.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    >


    have you adjusted your policyKit details, either directly or via YaST?
    if you have, good luck...i once locked myself out of my computer (even
    knowing the root password)...the default is just fine...leave it alone,
    if you changed it, i'd suggest you un-change it.

    you don't mention which desktop environment you use, so i assume the
    same as mine (KDE), and:

    i advise you to right click the kpackagekit icon and select configure
    and set it to never do anything...just ignore it until it is fixed..

    until then do all updates using YaST > Online Update, and do all
    application installs via YaST > Software Management..

    so, try and let us know if you still have errors..

    finally: when doing updates or installs/uninstalls with YaST you _must_
    have some patience....there is a LOT of stuff going on..

    going on between your machine and several servers somewhere on the
    net...most of which are freely providing some level of bandwidth to you,
    and the openSUSE community--many are on government or university servers
    and the owners of those servers *restrict* the data flow rate as they
    wish to make sure enough power is available for their own users...so,
    sometimes (often times) stuff moves slow..

    i recommend you not abort any YaST operation, ever...if at all
    possible...just sit on your hands, or go for a walk...if you don't have
    ten minutes spare time available to receive *free* software, then don't
    begin the process..

    ymmv

    --
    dd
    http://is.gd/bpoMD

  3. #3

    Default Re: Installing updates fails.

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    have you adjusted your policyKit details, either directly or via YaST?
    No. Not intentionally, anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    you don't mention which desktop environment you use, so i assume the
    same as mine (KDE),
    Yes, it's KDE. I'm not familiar with it at all. I've just switched from Gnome/Ubuntu. (As it seems have quite a few other users on here).

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    i advise you to right click the kpackagekit icon and select configure
    and set it to never do anything...just ignore it until it is fixed..

    until then do all updates using YaST > Online Update, and do all
    application installs via YaST > Software Management..

    so, try and let us know if you still have errors..
    Will do. Thank you.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Installing updates fails.

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    i advise you to right click the kpackagekit icon and select configure
    and set it to never do anything...just ignore it until it is fixed..

    until then do all updates using YaST > Online Update,
    Caveat
    When doing Online Update, I get this :-
    Code:
    Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from dbcursor->c_put: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: error(-30977) storing record 4.0-1 into Requireversion
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: error(-30977) getting "3.0.4-1" records from Requireversion index
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: error(-30977) getting "4.4.6-1" records from Requireversion index
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Provideversion index using db3 -  (-30977)
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Installtid index using db3 -  (-30977)
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Sigmd5 index using db3 -  (-30977)
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Sha1header index using db3 -  (-30977)
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Filedigests index using db3 -  (-30977)
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db3 error(-30977) from dbenv->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    This looks scarey!

    What should I do?

    Does this look like a corrupt installation? Would I be better reinstalling from scratch?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Installing updates fails.

    Carl H wrote:

    > This looks scarey!
    >
    > What should I do?
    >
    > Does this look like a corrupt installation? Would I be better
    > reinstalling from scratch?
    >

    Try to do what it asks for before you reinstall from scratch, you have
    nothing to loose, rebuild your rpm database
    Code:
    su -
    rpm --rebuilddb
    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.4 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.4 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Installing updates fails.

    On 2011-06-21 19:54, martin_helm wrote:

    > Try to do what it asks for before you reinstall from scratch, you have
    > nothing to loose, rebuild your rpm database


    And then, forget packagekit, use Yast only. One of the updates will be for
    the broken PK.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Installing updates fails.

    On 2011-06-20 11:06, Carl H wrote:
    > Yes, it's KDE. I'm not familiar with it at all. I've just switched from
    > Gnome/Ubuntu. (As it seems have quite a few other users on here).


    You can install both gnome and kde, and more, and use any of them when you
    have the itch.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •