Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making a launcher in taskbar

Default making a launcher in taskbar

Hi i want to add a application launcher in taskbar.but not using quickiaunch.

eg:i want to replace the firefox icon with chromium which is in my taskbar.

Default Re: making a launcher in taskbar

Hello vike4,

Quote Originally Posted by vike4
    Hi i want to add a application launcher in taskbar.but not using quickiaunch.

eg:i want to replace the firefox icon with chromium which is in my taskbar.
    I guess that there are others ways of doing this, but I think this is the easiest one.

Create an icon on your desktop, make sure that the widgets are unlocked.
    And simply drag the icon in the panel.

Good luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

I know it will work but i want the icon too.

Hello vike4,

I know it will work but i want the icon too.
    That's simple, give the launcher an icon before dragging it into the panel.

Or rightclick on it afterwards and select "Icon Settings".
    A window will appear, click on the icon and you can select the icon you want.

Good luck!

sorry for taking long time Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_Iii View Post
    Create an icon on your desktop, make sure that the widgets are unlocked.
    And simply drag the icon in the panel.
    what do you mean by icon?is it desktop shortcut?

That's simple, give the launcher an icon before dragging it into the panel.

Or rightclick on it afterwards and select "Icon Settings".
    A window will appear, click on the icon and you can select the icon you want.
    what is launcher?i think you are talking about the same desktop shortcut.isn't it?when i right clicked that there is only remove launcher and task manager settings only there.what to do?

Hello vike4,

sorry for taking long time Edward
    No problem, I'm happy to help.

what do you mean by icon?is it desktop shortcut?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's indeed a shortcut.
    You can make them by right-clicking on a "Folder View" widgets and selecting "Create new..."->Link to application.

But I just realized that there's an even easier way to achieve this.
    Open your launcher menu (green icon in the left-bottom corner) and navigate to the application you want to add in your panel.
    Now drag that icon to the panel, this way you don't need to make a shortcut yourself.

what is launcher?i think you are talking about the same desktop shortcut.isn't it?when i right clicked that there is only remove launcher and task manager settings only there.what to do?
    I recommend that you try the method mentioned above.
    Somehow I couldn't reproduce the same options you get.

Best of luck!

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's indeed a shortcut.
    You can make them by right-clicking on a "Folder View" widgets and selecting "Create new..."->Link to application.
    i used to create a desktop by drag and drop the application(from the openSUSE launcher)to my desktop folder.i will choose link here there after.Now i knew that's not a proper way to create a desktop shortcut.can you tell how to create a desktop shortcut in proper way?

But I just realized that there's an even easier way to achieve this.
    Open your launcher menu (green icon in the left-bottom corner) and navigate to the application you want to add in your panel.
    Now drag that icon to the panel, this way you don't need to make a shortcut yourself.
    Great it is working.but i am not satisfied by that icon's size.is there any way to increase that icon size?Thank you.

Hello vike4,

i used to create a desktop by drag and drop the application(from the openSUSE launcher)to my desktop folder.i will choose link here there after.Now i knew that's not a proper way to create a desktop shortcut.can you tell how to create a desktop shortcut in proper way?
    Well, it's a proper way.
    See it like this, when you install an application an icon will be made and placed in your openSUSE launcher.
    When you drag and place it, it will make a copy.

The only problem with this method is that the program you want a shortcut for must be in your openSUSE launcher.
    When making such launcher manual you can assign any command to it.

Great it is working.but i am not satisfied by that icon's size.is there any way to increase that icon size?Thank you.
    If you want them bigger, it means the panel must become higher too.
    To do this make sure widgets are unlocked, click on the cashew of your panel.
    You'll see the option height somewhere above the middle of your panel.

If the panel grows but the icons stay the same size, then you need to configure the icon size through System Settings.
    Start System Settings->Application Appearance->Icons and click on the tab Advanced.
    Select panel in the list and on your right you can configure the desired size.

Good luck!

Hello vike4,
    Well, it's a proper way.
    See it like this, when you install an application an icon will be made and placed in your openSUSE launcher.
    When you drag and place it, it will make a copy.
    i know i can make a desktop icon by that way.i want to create a desktop icon by right clicking the folder view and link to application.coz i can't see that desktop icon in gnome.(yes i am using both gnome and kde.so please tell me how to create a application shortcut in desktop by that way?

The only problem with this method is that the program you want a shortcut for must be in your openSUSE launcher.
    When making such launcher manual you can assign any command to it.

If you want them bigger, it means the panel must become higher too.
    To do this make sure widgets are unlocked, click on the cashew of your panel.
    You'll see the option height somewhere above the middle of your panel.

If the panel grows but the icons stay the same size, then you need to configure the icon size through System Settings.
    Start System Settings->Application Appearance->Icons and click on the tab Advanced.
    it is not working.it's okay.i increased the height of the panel but it is also not working.the icon stays with it's size.

Hello vike4,

i know i can make a desktop icon by that way.i want to create a desktop icon by right clicking the folder view and link to application.coz i can't see that desktop icon in gnome.(yes i am using both gnome and kde.so please tell me how to create a application shortcut in desktop by that way?
    So you have both KDE and GNOME, and you want to have the same icons?
    May I ask which version of GNOME you run?

I'm afraid that this way won't work either, because it does almost the same thing as dragging one from the openSUSE launcher.
    But it's worth a try.

To create a shortcut right click->Create New...->Link to application.
    A new window will appear, fill in the name the shortcut should have.
    Go to the Application tab and fill in the command you want to run, this is the command you use when running the program from terminal.
    This is all you need to enter, the rest is optional.

Click Ok, if you want to assign a icon to the shortcut right click on it and select properties.
    Here you can click on the icon to choose a new one.

it is not working.it's okay.i increased the height of the panel but it is also not working.the icon stays with it's size.
    When you increase the height of the panel, the icons will grow, but not further than there limit.
    You can configure the limit as I described in my previous post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_Iii
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast