How to install Eclipse in openSUSE 11.4

What is the best way to install Eclipse in openSUSE 11.4? I can’t find it in the official repositories. Not sure why its not in Oss.

Eclipse - The Eclipse Foundation open source community website. has packages for linux but I’m not sure which version (Helios, Galileo, Ganymede) will work best with openSUSE.

Are there any plans to add eclipse to the official repositories?

It is in:
Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss/suse
(ugh…which is 11.3). For 11.4:
Index of /repositories/home:/decriptor:/eclipse/openSUSE_11.4

don’t know why it has become less official from 11.3 to 11.4

Hello chrisdude,

Strange, I always thought that eclipse was in the Oss repository.
And somehow I can vaguely remember installing it under 11.4 through the repositories.:sarcastic:

Anyway, I recommend you to install eclipse with a package from their site.

Every version should run fine, I’m running Helios here without any problems.

Good luck!:wink:

Eclipse programmers prefer to install the packages provided on the Eclipse website (not from distros repos). Helios is the latest version, works fine with openSUSE. A newer version called ‘Indigo’ is scheduled to be released in one or two weeks.

Hi,

The best way to install Eclipse is from the repositories.

But Eclipse, like any Java application, is very very simple to install an use in your own home folder.
Just go to the Eclipse project web site and download the version you want and the one that fits better with your intended purpose and use pattern (J2EE, C, embedded development etc).

After that just use Dolphin or any other file manager to unzip the downloaded file to your home dir ( say for example /home/<user>/eclipse).

Then just simply go to the that folder and start Eclipse … simple.
There is really nothing to it.
Of course you must have Java installed in your OpenSuSE 11.4 pc.
(Do that in Yast, Software management)

In case you like it you can also place an applications launcher icon on the desktop, or on the startup panel, make a plasmoid, a keyboard shortcut … well … KDE 4 allows you to launch that stuff anyway you want.

In my case I have 4 different Eclipse versions installed. (I usually only use 2 though)
Eclipse 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 and SpringSource Tools Suite (wich is Eclipse from SpringSource customized and up-marketed with the Spring Tools)

I also have several different workspaces as they relate do different Eclipse versions and very different projects.

Regards

Thanks for the advice guys. I will get Eclipse from the Eclipse website.

Hi, just to clearify and set the record straight eclipse was dropped because it was an old version and the newer version required packages that required maven to build. For anyone unfamiliar with maven its just about impossible to package. As a result eclipse stayed on an old version and was eventually dropped. I’ve spent some time trying to package maven and a newer eclipses.

That is where home:decriptor:eclipse comes in. What I need to do is get it into better shape and submit it to Java:packages and then openSUSE:Factory. If I have time maybe I’ll try and get it into Factory in time for 12.1. NO promises though :slight_smile:

Hi,

Relax decriptor !
I think in the case of Eclipse the development platform is used in so many different ways that a distribution support is virtually impossible, regardless of maven.
Just a quick look at the Eclipse.org site shows a tremendous amount of base installation depending on the use case of every developer.
It is just not the issue of the extend of the Eclipse project.
It is also a problem that too many customizations are available and likely all developers will use some form of customization depending on their particular project …
I would say that a base Java Eclipse would be ok for the users to add plugins as necessary … and extend the platform as needed …

Also and because it is a Java installation is so straightforward and simple that anyone can install Eclipse with no problem …

Regards.

decriptor, perhaps it might be simpler to package an installer that fetches the official eclipse instead of replicating all of eclipse’s packaging and update mechanisms in RPM.

Good idea.