Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new desktop.

Smile Buying a new desktop.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new desktop in next 1-2-3 months, and have zeroed in on DELL XPS 8300.
    What I am going to do with desktop: Normal day to day things. Email, browsing, watching HD movies, listening to songs. I am also going to use the monitor as a TV, so included TV tuner card. I am not into gaming but prefer to have a desktop which does not stop me from playing sometimes if I wish to.

On top of that, I am going to do a lot of hacking with opensource software. I will use it as a file server(ftp, samba, etc) at my home and as web server for my personal use.

The specs of the system I have configured are:
    Code:
    Module                          Description
    Base                            XPS 8300 Direct Base - White
    Operating System                Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit (English)
    Processor                       Intel® Core™ i5-2310 Processor (2.9GHz, 6MB Cache)
    Memory                          4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
    Keyboard                        Dell™ Studio™ Multimedia Keyboard Black
    Monitor                         Dell ST2420L 61cm (24") HD Widescreen Monitor with WLED
    Video Card                      1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT420
    Hard Drive                      1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
    Mouse                           Dell™ Laser Mouse
    Optical Drive                   Single Drive:16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write
    Sound Card                      Integrated high definition 7.1 channel audio
    Speakers                        Dell™ AX210 USB Stereo Speakers
    Wireless Solution               Dell™ 1501 Wireless-N Mini PCI Card (802.11 b/g/n compliant)
    Bundle                          U240518IN8-XPS Desktop 8300
    Software                        Microsoft® Office Starter 2010: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No. PowerPoint or Outlook.
    Dell Services:                  Hardware Maintenance    1-year XPS Premier Service with 1-year CompleteCover
    WinRE                           Dell™ PC-Restore
    Packaging                       Packaging Info mod
    Cooling Solution                Standard Fan and Heatsink(95W)
    Resource DVD                    XPS 8300 Resource DVD
    Data Local                      DataSafe Local 2.2 Basic
    Dell Services: Remarks          Dell's Terms and Conditions apply
    Chassis Options                 XPS 8300 White chassis
    Item included in the system     Chipset Intel® H67
    Item included in the system     Built-in 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Item included in the system     Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Networking
    Item included in the system     English Accessories Kit
    Item included in the system     THX® TruStudio PC™
    Item included in the system     Adobe Reader X
    Item included in the system     Windows Live Software
    Item included in the system     Ebay-webslice
    Item included in the system     SKYPE™
    Security Software               McAfee® SecurityCenter™ (Multi Language) - 15 months
    Windows® 7 Media Options        Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit DVD Media (Multi-language)
    TV Tuner                        Hauppauge® WinTV-HVR-1200 Hybrid Analog/Digital TV Tuner
    Stage Software                  Stage Software Media Kit - Non Touch
    Stage Software                  Stage Software - Framework
    Stage Software                  Stage Software - MusicStage
    Stage Software                  Stage Software - PhotoStage
    Stage Software                  Stage Software - VideoStage
    Microsoft OS Labels             Windows 7® Label
    I am not going to use Windows 7 at all, but do not have a choice as it ships by default with Dell. My primary OS which I am going to use is openSUSE and may keep experimenting with others(Linux).

Does anything in this system has any problems with Linux. This system is going to cost me around 57000 INR(approx $1270), so I do not want to get it and then find something does not work with Linux or has some problems with Linux.
    Please let me know about your opinion about this system
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 8GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE Leap 42.1
    +Plasma 5, Kernel 4.1.20-11-default x86_64

Default Re: Buying a new desktop.

I don't see anything critical except for the preinstalled operating system, but then again this list is partly not very precise.

Edit: the analog part of your TV-Card is not supported yet, but digital TV works.

Thanks gropiuskalle , I talked to Dell guy and he said the OS comes as defualt.. so can not do much about it . I got the list which is displayed at the end after you configure on Dell website(At the cart). I remove few things, like Dell's warranty and etc...but nothing regarding configuration.
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 8GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE Leap 42.1

Well, hardcoded operating systems are hard to bypass when buying a complete setup. Some shops do offer machines without any operating system and I heard Dell will be offering Laptops (or Netbooks?) with Ubuntu preinstalled some time soon (might be a rumour, though), but in general a preinstalled Windows is default. Either you look around a bit more (dunno about webshops in India) or simply accept it. I personally would look around a bit more in case you'd have the same headache when having to pay for a Windows that I'd have. :-)

Either way, this PC looks okay for me (a tad too pricey maybe...).

Hardware for Linux - Home

The one you're looking at doesn't seem to be there though.
    It looks too expensive to me.

Dell XPS 8300 Details | Dell India

Pricey.. yes.. in India computers/laptops/electronics cost approx $200-$250 more than that will cost in US. Just to give an idea, Apple iphone 16 GB costs $199 in US. In India, it is sold for more than INR 30000 (Approx $670).

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    Either you look around a bit more (dunno about webshops in India) or simply accept it. I personally would look around a bit more in case you'd
    have the same headache when having to pay for a Windows that I'd have. :-)
    In India, I think only Dell sells through webshops. Normally we go to the computer shop and get what we want. But, for Dell we can only order online. I have choice of getting an assembled system, which will be cheaper, but if something breaks or stops functioning then repairing or replacing it would be headache for me as I will have to run after the vendors.
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

I would suggest that if you can hold off on the final decision for a short period of time, you should. AMD is just going through a period of product announcements (Llano just released, Bulldozer up soon) and, if history is any guide, Intel tends to make competitive readjustments (read -reduce prices, or increase performance for the same price) when this happens.

Now, you may not want Llano (targeted at the value end of the performance spectrum, but with relatively good on-chip graphics) or Bulldozer (more targeted at the performance end of the spectrum - it looks as if the release dates for the server part and the desktop have been switched, so the server part is up first and the desktop follows in roughly a quarter, unfortunately) but, even so, prices of competing parts do tend to re-align.

Hi, Sounds like a nice computer!

If you want to get around paying Microsoft for an OS you won't use, a good bet can be building your own. It's a bit more work, and I'm not certain how many sites would willingly ship to India, but you save money on both the OS and the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by pzakharov View Post
    Hi, Sounds like a nice computer!

If you want to get around paying Microsoft for an OS you won't use, a good bet can be building your own. It's a bit more work, and I'm not certain how many sites would willingly ship to India, but you save money on both the OS and the assembly.
    Hmm... Building a computer is not extremely difficult ... and not as dirty as fixing a car. But I'm not sure I would advice 'anyone' to do it. You might have fun ... or not.

@markone.. I am definetly not going to buy new system in June. It will around July, so hope prices do re-align till then Somewhere I read AMD is releasing Llano and Bulldozer around 20th June.

@pzakharov.. I am not a hardware guy.. I do not have the slightest idea of what hardware fits with what hardware. I am just a beginner , that is why I have to have faith in someone in providing me a decent working machine.. and it is Dell as of now. Right now I dream that someday I will be able to assemble my own system
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast