Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Odd network issue with incoming connections.

  1. #1

    Default Odd network issue with incoming connections.

    I just setup a new opensuse 11.4 server.
    It handles any connection it initiates just fine. It can ping anything on the network, browse to any websites, etc.

    However, it refuses any incoming connection, EVEN with the firewall turned off.
    Pings get no response.
    Can't VNC in, can't SSH in.
    Its intended to be used as a server very soon, so this is a problem.
    Is there an additional step I need to take?
    A .conf file I need to edit/delete?

    If not, does anyone have any suggestions on the approach to take in troubleshooting the problem?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Odd network issue with incoming connections.

    nhoot wrote:
    > I just setup a new opensuse 11.4 server.
    > It handles any connection it initiates just fine. It can ping anything
    > on the network, browse to any websites, etc.
    >
    > However, it refuses any incoming connection, EVEN with the firewall
    > turned off.
    > Pings get no response.
    > Can't VNC in, can't SSH in.


    Are the services you're trying to use actually running? (sshd etc)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Odd network issue with incoming connections.

    On 06/14/2011 04:06 PM, nhoot wrote:
    >
    > I just setup a new opensuse 11.4 server . . . does anyone have any
    > suggestions on the approach to take in troubleshooting the problem?


    you call it a server yet since you say it can browse to any website, it
    sounds more like a desktop.. (servers don't need either X nor browsers)

    what kind of server is it: web, news, mail, file, print, DHCP/DNS, LDAP,
    etc?

    what server software did you install and setup?

    --
    dd
    http://is.gd/bpoMD

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Odd network issue with incoming connections.

    Is there any router in between the vast internet and your server blocking ports?
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

  5. #5

    Default Re: Odd network issue with incoming connections.

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 06/14/2011 04:06 PM, nhoot wrote:
    >
    > I just setup a new opensuse 11.4 server . . . does anyone have any
    > suggestions on the approach to take in troubleshooting the problem?


    you call it a server yet since you say it can browse to any website, it
    sounds more like a desktop.. (servers don't need either X nor browsers)

    what kind of server is it: web, news, mail, file, print, DHCP/DNS, LDAP,
    etc?

    what server software did you install and setup?

    --
    dd
    Caveat
    Its a test system, the production system wont have or need X, or browsers, or other niceties. But I find its handy in our environment to have them in test.
    the problem is resolved. I feel silly now. It was an IPv6 issue. Our operating environment does not support IPv6.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Odd network issue with incoming connections.

    On 06/14/2011 05:06 PM, nhoot wrote:
    >
    > It was an IPv6 issue. Our operating environment does not support IPv6.


    interesting, but confusing....hmmmmm...do you mind telling us what it
    was about openSUSE 11.4's default IPv6 set up which had to be changed to
    allow pings and VNC or SSH in?

    i ask because i've not seen this symptom before...(and, i expect more
    IPv6 problems as we go forward..)

    --
    dd
    http://is.gd/bpoMD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •