Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: System Tray does not hide ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    234

    Default System Tray does not hide ?

    Hi,


    I have a strange problem about the system tray that I hope someone else solved ...
    I have 11.4 64bit with all the new up-dates installed and sometimes the system tray Stops hiding.
    I have the option to hide the system tray and it just stays there.
    I noticed this sometimes happens when the show plasma dashboard or show desktop widgets are used.
    Is there a "cure" for this? Does someone have the same problem ?

    Another issue is that I in my install the /home mount point was mounted on top of an older install of Opensuse.
    Maybe this is the cause of my problems ... maybe not ...

    Regards.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,734
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    You can't hide the sys tray. You can choose which widgets it contains will auto hide.
    Or are you meaning the panel ? Which can also be set to auto hide.

    Re: /home
    If you mean it was used for a previous install and not formatted, yes it could be an issue. Especially if the username is the same and you mean a version that didn't use kde4?
    You could create a new user account and try logging in with that to see if it's better. At least it will help us see where the problems are.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    Sorry folks ...

    It was just a blip ...

    The problem just disappeared when i closed Eclipse 3.6 ... I opened it again and it is ok now. The system tray hides.
    It is also one of my profound hatred towards KDE4 ...


    Regards.



    Quote Originally Posted by keyb_user View Post
    Hi,


    I have a strange problem about the system tray that I hope someone else solved ...
    I have 11.4 64bit with all the new up-dates installed and sometimes the system tray Stops hiding.
    I have the option to hide the system tray and it just stays there.
    I noticed this sometimes happens when the show plasma dashboard or show desktop widgets are used.
    Is there a "cure" for this? Does someone have the same problem ?

    Another issue is that I in my install the /home mount point was mounted on top of an older install of Opensuse.
    Maybe this is the cause of my problems ... maybe not ...

    Regards.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    No prob Caf!

    Yes, I was refering to the panel ...
    It is ok now.
    Also is there a way to install KDE 3.5 on Opensuse 11.4 ?

    Regards.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    On 06/14/2011 03:06 PM, keyb user wrote:
    >
    > I have the option to hide the system tray and it just stays there.


    are you talking about the KDE4 panel? (isn't 'system tray' last
    century's nomenclature?)

    my panel is set to auto-hide...some times it does not...have no idea
    why...i've not looked to see if there has been a bug logged, maybe you
    will, here: http://tinyurl.com/nzhq7j

    ps: 4.6.0

    --
    dd
    http://is.gd/bpoMD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,734
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    Yes you can
    But I wouldn't, such a move backwards is not wise IMO.
    There is a repo for it here
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.4

    Do it if you like, but don't blame me if your system is all Jeffed up

    See this also
    HOW-TO: KDE 3.5 on 11.4
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    Hi,

    I know caf ... not a very wise move but I really have this utter dislike over KDE 4 ...

    Very pretty desktop all very good graphics and the like ... but I happen to program and actually make some work and I can not stand a alt+tab windows on Eclipse that takes 2 seconds ... with no effects on the desktop whatsoever ...
    Also some effects do not work, some applications are much "poorer" in kde4.
    Well there are a lot of things wrong on KDE 4.

    So I will give a try with KDE 3.5. ... I also do not like Gnome a lot ...


    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Yes you can
    But I wouldn't, such a move backwards is not wise IMO.
    There is a repo for it here
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.4

    Do it if you like, but don't blame me if your system is all Jeffed up

    See this also
    HOW-TO: KDE 3.5 on 11.4
    Regards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,734
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    For the record
    I have a panel to the side (left) for quick launch, set to auto-hide, never had a issue with it.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    On 06/14/2011 05:36 PM, caf4926 wrote:
    >
    > For the record
    > I have a panel to the side (left) for quick launch, set to auto-hide,
    > never had a issue with it.


    i also have an auto-hide panel on the left....occasionally it (or the
    one at the bottom, also auto-hide) will 'stick' out un-hidden, i have
    been unable to figure out what variables have to be met to cause it..

    --
    dd
    http://is.gd/bpoMD

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: System Tray does not hide ?

    Hi,



    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 06/14/2011 03:06 PM, keyb user wrote:
    >
    > I have the option to hide the system tray and it just stays there.


    are you talking about the KDE4 panel? (isn't 'system tray' last
    century's nomenclature?)

    Actually ... I was born last Century ...


    my panel is set to auto-hide...some times it does not...have no idea
    why...i've not looked to see if there has been a bug logged, maybe you
    will, here: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE

    ps: 4.6.0

    --
    dd
    Caveat
    I think I know what the problem is ...
    It is really not a bug .. it is just another annoying KDE4 bloat ...

    When a window displays an event, just like in kde3.5, the window icon on the panel usually gets highlighted.
    I think that is the issue, I had a same "panel blocked not hidden" with Opera and the panel was again not hiding, blocking the full-sized open windows.

    When I went to the Opera window showing an alert the thing returned to normal ...
    Unfortunately this happens without being possible to identify the "alerting window" ... because the highlighted panel icon show the exact same color and contrast as the other icons (did not happen in kde3.5 btw ... ) ... therefore it is not possible to distinguish what exact program window is requesting attention.

    Oh, and my Eclipse is running faster now and switching alt+tab in a decent manner ...


    Regards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •