Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrygavigan View Post
    There is one thing missing (I think) a clear guide to clearing out Nvidia and replacing it with nouveau. For all but hardened gamers, nouveau on 11.4 delivers. It also removes one more barrier to what I think is the intended goad of Tumbleweed.
    The problem IMHO is not that there are no clear guides. The problem is there are too many.

    No sooner does one person do a guide (that is clear) and someone else who does not like some point writes another guide that they think is more clear (but in fact is less clear in other aspects). And this goes on ad infinitum. IMHO we have too many guides - many of which are sufficient clear ... but the VAST number only serves to confuse users more.

    Having typed that, IMHO this is NOT a Tumbleweed specific issue, but its MUCH WIDER in scope and hence does not belong as a discussion in this Tumbleweed thread.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Απ: Re: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    The problem IMHO is not that there are no clear guides. The problem is there are too many.

    No sooner does one person do a guide (that is clear) and someone else who does not like some point writes another guide...
    Reading this and the rest of the post, my is just an involuntary reflex. IMHO? No, it's a fact and never was there a truer posting as that response, and I don't have an Nvidia!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Απ: Re: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Having typed that, IMHO this is NOT a Tumbleweed specific issue, but its MUCH WIDER in scope and hence does not belong as a discussion in this Tumbleweed thread.
    Two things really:

    the first one is that I have failed to find any guide discussing the details of replacing nvidia with nouveau, my problem but if my google skills are not up to it I'd be pleased if someone could offer a clue

    the second, is that I didn't realise that my post was so impolite that it required both SHOUTING and a FOAD so I apologise.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Απ: Re: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrygavigan View Post
    Two things really:

    the first one is that I have failed to find any guide discussing the details of replacing nvidia with nouveau, my problem but if my google skills are not up to it I'd be pleased if someone could offer a clue

    the second, is that I didn't realise that my post was so impolite that it required both SHOUTING and a FOAD so I apologise.
    I am going to create a separate thread and move this post of yours (and your previous) to a that new thread. It does not belong here. I guess I failed to make my previous point, despite the upper case and despite the characters in bold.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

    This discussion as to "How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver " was inappropriately brought up in this Tumbleweed thread (as it is applicable to all openSUSE versions and not just Tumbleweed):
    HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed - Page 4

    I am going to move selective contents of that thread here shortly (I need to wait some time first to allow the posts of that thread to propagate out on NNTP).

    For NNTP users, I will post once this new thread in hardware is populated.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

    The post that started this discussion is quoted below:

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrygavigan View Post
    When you say "new users" I assume you mean new installers/administrators?

    There is one thing missing (I think) a clear guide to clearing out Nvidia and replacing it with nouveau. For all but hardened gamers, nouveau on 11.4 delivers. It also removes one more barrier to what I think is the intended goad of Tumbleweed.

    A particular desktop machine I support has the entire family on separate accounts (five) and it never upgrades the in the same way or as easily as my single user account machine i.e., each time I upgrade, since 2001, something (else) goes wrong.

    I consider this family to be a real world test case on the usabilty of openSUSE/Linux as none of them are particularly interested in what goes on behind the screen but do understand why they're using it and enjoy using it.

    Tumbleweed looks like something that (eventually?) enables gentle upgrading (a sloping change rather than a step change) and sounds like a great idea in these circumstances

    So, having fallen foul of the nvidia 260/kde thing on their machine I decided to risk the upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4 using online repositories, with nouveau, and then switch them to Tumbleweed (note, the only person that does the upgrading is me) to quietly make my life easier in the future.

    Obviously there were a few things I had to lookout for such as making sure virtualbox wasn't installed during the upgrade.

    However, the real bugbear was the failure to cleanly remove all traces of Nvidia and it was impossible to start X, I wasn't prepared for that, down grading from Tumbleweed and installing the 270 driver cured the issue and left a gleaming 11.4 install.

    However it doesn't solve my upgrade problem...

    I think it would be helpful to include information/guidance on getting nouveau properly installed, from a scripts to check perspective, to help when things go wrong.

    For better or for worse I'm new to nouveau and while adding nomodeset on menu.lst is well within my capabilities, X has a reputation for being a bit tricky and I've always stayed away from it.

    FWIW, etc., thank you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

    Note the posts in this thread have mostly been moved from the thread "HowTo : upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed".

    Note that removal of the nVidia driver and replacing with the nouveau driver is NOT part of upgrading to Tumbleweed, but rather it is part of maintaining tuning one's Tumbleweed. Adding such posts to that thread makes an already long thread almost unreadaable. Whether the solution is Tumbleweed specific, or more openSUSE generic is not as relevant as the fact that if we put everything in one thread, our forum would be pure chaos. Its part of the responsibily of our moderators to try to add some logic to the chaos, and I ask that our membership have some understanding in this area.

    Thankyou for your patience.

    If in the course of the discussions on this thread it turns out that there is a Tumbleweed specific solution that is significantly different from any nominal openSUSE solution (for removing nvidia and replacing with nouveau) then by all means open a NEW THREAD on Tumbleweed. Please do not tag on to an already too long massive thread on a different Tumbleweed subject.

    Again, thankyou for your patience in this matter.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

    Tumbleweed is geared for more advanced users and administrators. Is you are in that category, uninstalling an Nvidia driver should be very easy
    and removing the last line "blacklist nouveau" from /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf also an easy task.
    My Linux Box
    OS:
    openSUSE 52.2 - Plasma 5.18.9
    OS:
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.22
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

    There is some discussion of the blacklisting process and the blocking / allowing of nouveau here: openSUSE Forums - Nvidia with Tumbleweed (AKA Install Nvidia the Hard Way)
    That's written for Tumbleweed but is 100% relevant for 11.4 standard (and 12.1 I suppose).

    An interesting point is that installing the community RPMs for Nvidia in 11.4 creates a blacklist file independent of file /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf, and without any action by the user, so the use of that file is a bad thing in 11.4+ because it interferes with the current automatic process. Further, if a user who installs Nvidia drivers from the community RPMs (and thus automatically blacklists nouveau), if that user subsequently uninstalls those RPMs, the blacklist is automatically removed. That's another reason why it's now wrong to involve the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf.

    Anyone using 11.4+ who has entered a nouveau blacklist in 50-blacklist.conf should remove it to allow the processes created by the developers to dominate.
    Last edited by swerdna; 18-Jun-2011 at 22:43.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to clear proprietary nVidia driver and replace with nouveau driver

    @gerrygavigan, if you're still around, can you please restate your original problem.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •