Apache server issues

I’m trying to setup an Apache server on my computer which will allow browsing of files in a specific directory and subdirectories, without needing any sort of authentication.

I’ve got the Apache2 server up and running through yast, and everything works fine as long as I try to point it to the /www/htdocs folder. However, I want to point it at another folder, which is on another partition. This partition is formatted as NTFS, if that matters at all (here’s some background on some permissions issues I had with the NTFS partitions recently).

When I change the “Directory” setting in the Yast http server configuration utility to the directory on the NTFS partition I wish to use, attempting to access the server results in the following error:

Access Forbidden: You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected. If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
Mon Jun 13 23:43:29 2011
Apache/2.2.17 (Linux/SUSE) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post here what you get from this command:

cat /etc/apache2/default-server.conf

and this command:

ls -l /etc/apache2/vhosts.d

These commands will allow to look at config files that set the root directory.

And where in the filesystem is the (NTFS) root directory for the apache server? Give the absolute/full path.

Then we can look at Linux file permissions after that.

Could be that the NTFS file system is mounted with the wrong options (not defaults) and thus it’s mimicing of ownership does not fit wwwrun:www.

What is the entry for it in /etc/fstab?
And what does it show when you do an *ls -l *of the mountpoint?

Nevermind, I figured it out.

swerdna, when looking at the config file using the first command you gave me, I noticed that it wasn’t changing the “Document Root” value when I edited it using Yast, I’d change it to where I wanted it, but then the value would still be the default folder after the server restarted, but it was giving me a warning message saying the default server name would be used if I didn’t enter one. I clicked ok figuring it didn’t matter…but as soon as I put in a server name, it wrote the changes to the “Document Root” to the config file, and now I see what I should see.

Thanks for the help guys!

I was pretty sure it was either the server naming or the doc root, my money was on the latter – well done.