Cannot Use Evolution because of Keyring Password in gnome.

Any ideas? Internet search has not helped me solve the problem. I cannot log on to my server because of the pop up window that asks for a password to unlock the keyring. I have tried to just hit cancel, but that does not help. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve this problem.

Warning - I am very unsure of this.

It is my understanding that in a typical gnome install, the keyring password is initialized to be the same as your login password. When you login to gnome, a PAM module is supposed to use your password to unlock the keyring automatically. I think you have to be using gdm for that to work.

Back when I was a gnome user, that seemed to work quite well. But now that I am a KDE user, if I do anything that requires access to the gnome keyring, I am prompted for a password. Incidently, I do know what that password is, because I was asked to create it on the first use.

If what you are doing worked in the past, then the keyring password is probably your login password as it was at the time that you last successfully used evolution.

If all else fails, you can probably delete $HOME/.gnome/keyrings and then start over. You would lose saved data in the keyring, but should retain your other evolution data and settings. And you should then be prompted for a keyring password on the first use.

jdcart15 wrote:

>
> Any ideas? Internet search has not helped me solve the problem. I
> cannot log on to my server because of the pop up window that asks for a
> password to unlock the keyring. I have tried to just hit cancel, but
> that does not help. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve
> this problem.
>
Sounds like you need to reset your keyring password. In the folder
~/.gnome2/keyrings/ you can delete default, but be warned that after that
you lost all stored keyring passwords and have to set them again.

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

MH. Thanks for your reply. I have already tried to find the directory or file named .genome/keyrings I do not have that directory. It does not exist, unless I am doing something wrong to find it. I used the Unix find file command from the root directory. I am fairly new at using Unix but based upon little I know, I do not think that that directory exists on my system.

jdcart15 wrote:
> or file named .genome/keyrings I do not have that directory. It does
It is ~/.gnome2/keyrings/ not .genome/keyrings, did you try that from a
terminal or in a file browser?
If you use a file browser like nautilus or dolphin you need change the view
to show hidden files. All files which start with a dot are hidden.

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

Martin, I appreciate your help. Problem solved. I feel so stupid!!