Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opensuse 11.4 No X as user, only root

Default opensuse 11.4 No X as user, only root

Hi,

I always boot to run level 3.

Two days ago I upgraded from 11.2 to 11.4 via zypper -dup (first to 11.3, then to 11.4). Until earlier today everything ran fine. Then I rebooted. When I tried to run startx I received an error which said that /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_vieux_dri.so was missing (sorry, no longer have the X log). I reinstalled the nouveau and Mesa-3D drivers. Now the error message is 'Failed to load module " nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)'. I have the Xorg.0.log but cannot add it to the post because it is too long. Here are the error lines:

Code:
    [  1698.989] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
    [  1699.226] (EE) [drm] failed to open device

When I run as root, X works fine, so I assume it is a permission issue, but I cannot find where.

The nvidia driver is not installed. I do not want to install it. But I tried just to see what happens. The error message is different, but it also works when I run as root.

I have read this thread: openSUSE 11.4 no X and followed all the advice but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: opensuse 11.4 No X as user, only root

I would read through the following thread. You will find out some interesting facts about startx there:

Cannot startx unless Superuser

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: opensuse 11.4 No X as user, only root

James, thanks.

I still do not see how to solve this. I have already tried setuid on Xorg based on what I read in the thread I linked to. Both manually and via /etc/permissions.local.

To see what happend I tried to login via kdm by running 'sudo init 5'. kdm comes up, I enter my user name and password, it flashed "Login successful" and drops right back to kdm. I cannot loging as a normal user. Logging in as root works.

Blog Entries

James, thanks.

I still do not see how to solve this. I have already tried setuid on Xorg based on what I read in the thread I linked to. Both manually and via /etc/permissions.local.

To see what happend I tried to login via kdm by running 'sudo init 5'. kdm comes up, I enter my user name and password, it flashed "Login successful" and drops right back to kdm. I cannot loging as a normal user. Logging in as root works.
    Most often when you get into a Jam like this is is the result of two problems, blending in as one. Step one then might be to install the most recent nVIDIA driver as it seems you have an nVIDIA video card, right? I suggest you, download the most recent video drive from nVIDIA here:

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

I then suggest you read the following info on install the video driver the hard way:

SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE

Before you get ready to load the driver, undo anything you have done so far for video that you talked about before.

I even have a bash script file that can be used to install the nVIDIA driver the hard way here:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Page 2

Don't forget to add in the kernel load option nomodeset into your Grub menu option used to start openSUSE and then get back with the results you have.

Thank You,

James,

Thanks. Unfortunately the nVidia driver will not even compile. It runs for a few mintues and then throws some errors. This is from the tail of the log:

Code:
     /tmp/selfgz6759/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.14-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c: At top level
       :
       /tmp/selfgz6759/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.14-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:325:5: error:
       unknown field ‘ioctl’ specified in initializer
       /tmp/selfgz6759/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.14-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:325:5: warnin
       g: initialization from incompatible pointer type
       make[4]: *** [/tmp/selfgz6759/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.14-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.o
       ] Error 1
       make[3]: *** [_module_/tmp/selfgz6759/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.14-pkg1/usr/src
       /nv] Error 2
       make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
       NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
       nvidia.ko failed to build!
       make[1]: *** [module] Error 1
       make: *** [module] Error 2
    -> Error.
    ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
    ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
           '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
           on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
           driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    I have downloaded the driver twice, in case there was some corruption the first time. Same result. I also installed the kernel sources in case kernel-devel was not enough. No difference.

I think I am looking at a full reinstall of 11.4 or restoring my system to 11.2. Any other suggestions?

Once again, thanks for you help, I really appreciate it.

Folding wrote:
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > /tmp/selfgz6759/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.14-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c: At top

Do you really need that old driver, which nvidia card do you have, maybe a
    newer supported driver will work for you. Sholud be at least 96.xx.xx to be
    able to compile it on a newer openSUSE.

--
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

According to nVidia that is the driver for the card I have installed. It is very old. lspci reports it as GeForce 256 DDR.

I do not actually want to use the nVidia drivers. I'd be perfectly happy with vesa as this is a backup/test machine, but nothing works, except as root. As root I can use the nVidia drivers (from the nVidia repository), the nouveau drivers and the vesa drivers. I need to do this as a normal user.

Blog Entries

According to nVidia that is the driver for the card I have installed. It is very old. lspci reports it as GeForce 256 DDR.

I do not actually want to use the nVidia drivers. I'd be perfectly happy with vesa as this is a backup/test machine, but nothing works, except as root. As root I can use the nVidia drivers (from the nVidia repository), the nouveau drivers and the vesa drivers. I need to do this as a normal user.
    After looking up this video card it appears that the driver no longer works with openSUSE version 11.4 and that you would need to drop back to version 11.3 (or 11.2) and that you may be stuck there until you can get a newer video card. It appears that this video chipset is now over 10 years old, is that correct?

Thank You,

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    After looking up this video card it appears that the driver no longer works with openSUSE version 11.4 and that you would need to drop back to version 11.3 (or 11.2) and that you may be stuck there until you can get a newer video card. It appears that this video chipset is now over 10 years old, is that correct?
    Yes the card is over 10yrs old. When logged in as root it works with the nouveau driver. I need to figure out how to get it to work when I am logged in as a normal user. WIth an open source driver

I think what I need to do is restore back to 11.2, then update to 11.3 and see what happens. If that is good I will update the main machine and then see about moving this box to 11.4. Perhaps with a different video card.

What I would really like to discover is why everything works as root, but not as a regualr user.

Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

Yes the card is over 10yrs old. When logged in as root it works with the nouveau driver. I need to figure out how to get it to work when I am logged in as a normal user. WIth an open source driver

I think what I need to do is restore back to 11.2, then update to 11.3 and see what happens. If that is good I will update the main machine and then see about moving this box to 11.4. Perhaps with a different video card.

What I would really like to discover is why everything works as root, but not as a regualr user.

Thanks for your help.
    I can only say good luck. While I understand it is a permissions thing, I just have no experience with such an old video card under openSUSE. In the end, a newer video card is the answer, but in what computer will be the question. Please keep us up to date on how things are going for you and again I wish you good luck.

Thank You,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast