Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mcelog fails: And ATI Graphics Issue after dual boot installation?

Question mcelog fails: And ATI Graphics Issue after dual boot installation?

I am totally new to the whole linux OS thing. I decided I wanted to dual boot opensuse along with my windows 7. I have a 1tb hard drive and I made a 200gb partion that I was going to use for opensuse. I then downloaded the install DVD and burned it to a disk. I booted from it just fine and went through the installer choosing the gnome desktop. When it set up the partions it automatically found my 200gb partion and I left it with the default settings, I got some error message saying I should keep it at like 128gb below or something, I ignored it. I then installed it with all the default stuff and at the end of the installation I got a blue screen that said like my graphics card is not supported or something and I had a text based installed that just went on its own. At the end my computer rebooted and then I got a black backgrund with white text poping up and it showed all these processes and all them said success or whatever in green text except one called "mcelog" failed and it gave me a log in still in the black background and white text then I logged in and it just stayed at that black background and white text. I don't know what to do, I probably did the installation wrong or something, if I did how do I uninstall and start over? I have a quad core i5 2500k with an ati raedeon hd 6870 1gb graphics card. Please help explain to me what I have to do to successfully install this as a dual boot along side my current windows 7 installation.

Blog Entries

Default re: mcelog fails: And ATI Graphics Issue after dual boot installation?

I can help you thru
    Do you have access to another computer at the same time?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Yes, I do.

Blog Entries

So the install completed and it did a partial reboot?
    Or have you done a hard shutdown / reboot?
    Have you seen the grub boot menu yet?
    Are you logged in now, as your chosen username?
    Tumbleweed_KDE

It appears as if it completed and then that is when it went to the blue screen and seemed to do some sort of post installation setup/hardware configuration stuff is my guess. And then I logged into it successfully on the text interface. I then sat there confused as to what I'm supposed to do with just text typing, so I did a hard reboot, I got a screen that let me choose if I wanted to boot windows or opensuse, I choose opensuse and then the same thing happend. I dont know what the grub boot menu is to be honest.

Blog Entries

The grub menu is the green screen menu where you choose to boot suse or windows

Please reboot and use the down arrow at that menu to select the failsafe option
    Does that get you to a desktop of some kind?
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Blog Entries

I have to leave my computer shortly, so I'm adding info in advance.

If you don't get a desktop, try adding 'nomodest' to the default suse boot
    File:Nomodeset-example.jpg - openSUSE

Some reading:
    SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE
    openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

I'll be back shortly (30mins)
    Tumbleweed_KDE

alright thanks for that i will try it now. Sorry I was away from my computer but now I will be here all night I'm going too try it in fail safe then try the second thing you suggested.

I tried it in fail safe and it booted up to the desktop just fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobbert4ever View Post
    I tried it in fail safe and it booted up to the desktop just fine.
    First thing I would do is run
    Yast > Software > Online Update
    reboot

Now just install the ATI drivers
    SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

See my sig for more guides
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast