Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Output to StarTech USB audio

Default No Output to StarTech USB audio

Greetings All,

I have a StarTech USB audio adapter which I have been unable to get output from in Suse.

Pavucontrol allows me to adjust the output to this device, and even shows some signal when playing media. However, no output makes it to the headset/speaker jack of the USB device.
    There does not appear to be any issues with playing media to the internal sound card & speakers of the computer.

I booted up a Live Ubuntu disk, the device was recognized, and output made it with no problem.
    This leads me to discount a hardware problem.

I'm running Suse 11.4 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T420s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Rich

Blog Entries

Default Re: No Output to StarTech USB audio

Quote Originally Posted by richardrosa View Post
    I have a StarTech USB audio adapter which I have been unable to get output from in Suse.

Pavucontrol allows me to adjust the output to this device, and even shows some signal when playing media. However, no output makes it to the headset/speaker jack of the USB device.
    There does not appear to be any issues with playing media to the internal sound card & speakers of the computer.
    Can you do a screen print of each of the pavucontrol screens (while playing a song or video with a media player) so we can see what settings you have applied. ie configuration, output devices, playback.

I'm trying to help a user in a different thread who is trying to get sound playback out of BOTH his headsets at the same time (USB and regular) : Sound to multiple output devices with pulse? ... you should NOT need a sink for a simple USB headset playback.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Can you do a screen print of each of the pavucontrol screens (while playing a song or video with a media player) so we can see what settings you have applied. ie configuration, output devices, playback.

I'm trying to help a user in a different thread who is trying to get sound playback out of BOTH his headsets at the same time (USB and regular) : Sound to multiple output devices with pulse? ... you should NOT need a sink for a simple USB headset playback.

Try again with the right links:

By richardrosa at 2011-06-10

Rich

Blog Entries

In your the pavucontrol Playback Tab, instead of selecting "Simultaneous .... " try selecting only the "USB PnP Sound Device Analog Stereo".

Also, in case we are missing anything, in the "playback tab" for 'show' select 'all streams'.

In your the pavucontrol Playback Tab, instead of selecting "Simultaneous .... " try selecting only the "USB PnP Sound Device Analog Stereo".

Also, in case we are missing anything, in the "playback tab" for 'show' select 'all streams'.
    Selecting the USB in the ALSA control mutes the internal speakers, but no output on USB device. However, VU indicator on the Output devices panel shows output to the device. Donno where this output is going to, but it probably is not the StarTech...

Rich

Blog Entries

Selecting the USB in the ALSA control mutes the internal speakers, but no output on USB device. However, VU indicator on the Output devices panel shows output to the device. Donno where this output is going to, but it probably is not the StarTech...
    You still have "simultaneous ... " selected in the application from which you are playing a multimedia file.

You still have "simultaneous ... " selected in the application from which you are playing a multimedia file.

The picture was taken before changing playback device.

Here is the Output Devices tab after selecting USB only:

Rich

Blog Entries

The picture was taken before changing playback device.
    hmm ... its hard to give good advice when the pix are wrong.

You have extra devices that are confusing to me.

With your USB headset plugged in, please run the following diagnostic script and provide the output. DO NOT change your configuration from which you had in the above, as if you do then running the script is pointless as the configuration has changed and that makes this harder.
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    run that with your pc connected to the internet. Select the SHARE/UPLOAD option. Post here the URL/web address that it give you when the script finishes. Do NOT post the script content here. Just post the website/URL address where the script is located.

Please also provide output of:
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*alsa*'
    rpm -qa '*pulse*'
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

Blog Entries

Something else is puzzling me ... which is the presence of the "simultaneous ... " options. DID you do an edits to ANY sound configuration / pulse configuration files? If so please advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast