Thread: Unable to boot into opensuse 11.4

Default Unable to boot into opensuse 11.4

OK so here is the story. I have Ubuntu 10.04.2 installed root on sda1 and home on sdb1. I've been using Ubuntu since 9.10. Anyways I thought I would give Opensuse a try, I had it in a virtual machine just to check it out. But I thought that I would install it next to Ubuntu 10.04.2.

So I created 2 more partitions and installed opensuse root on sda3 and home on sdb3, and did the option to not install bootloader since I felt that it would not have my ubuntu boot show up and would only show opensuse. Which i'm sure i'm correct in this. So after installation i loaded up ubuntu did a sudo update-grub and restarted my pc. Opensuse 11.4 shows up in the boot menu

So first I get it to load everything seems to be fine except opensuse did not have my wireless usb working out of the box like ubuntu does. anyways besides that everything is fine. Well this morning when I restarted my pc I select the Opensuse boot option and this screen comes up. It reverts back to command line.

Anyways any help would be appreciated. Really want to try this OS out.

Default Re : Unable to boot into opensuse 11.4

Hi,

Wich graphic card you have ? Boot with the kernel paramaters nomodeset as in this picture to see if you get to the desktop : File:Nomodeset-example.jpg - openSUSE

Default Re: Unable to boot into opensuse 11.4

Daax,
    I don't think this is an X error, I think it is a "cannot read from fd:0" error. I don't think fd has anything to do with X. X hasn't been started yet.

polardude1983, could you please post your /etc/init.d/rc.local ?
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

Run level 5 is the start of X and the GUI and it shows a incomplete message. Looks like a video problem to me. So humor us and telluse about your graphics.

fd is the floppy drive. You have one?

This is what I get from lspci

So here is my graphics card: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

No I do not have a floppy drive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by polardude1983 View Post
    This is what I get from lspci

So here is my graphics card: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
    My wife has this hardware and it works fine with nouveau and nvida proprietary driver. It would (IMHO) be unusual if this is an X problem with that hardware in openSUSE-11.4.

Can you post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log to
    susepaste.org ?

Check the messages that begin (EE) for issues.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM