Tutorial to install Suse 11.4 on ssd

Hello, is there a tutorial on how to install suse 11.4 on an SSD, to achieve optimal installation?

Thank you and good day.

While waiting for someone to point you to a tutorial, you could skim through the following thread which may have some useful information: Chat forum thread - Please share experience with SD card ‘drive’ use in Linux and if no one points to a tutorial, maybe then you could create one.

Hi
This may offer some info…
SDB:SSD discard (trim) support - openSUSE

Hello, thank you for your post. I am looking for a tutorial specific to suse because all distributions seem to have their peculiarities … I found a few general hints, but nothing concrete for suse, I could not do much. I do not have the necessary knowledge to create a tutorial . I’m new to linux. I kindly bring my contribution to the building too, maybe one day if God wills it:) Have a nice day

On 06/09/2011 03:06 PM, phil995511 wrote:
>
> Hello, thank you for your post. I am looking for a tutorial specific to
> suse because all distributions seem to have their peculiarities … I
> found a few general hints, but nothing concrete for suse,

someone, in the last couple of weeks was writing about he had just
installed to ssd…but, he didn’t mention anything special…use the
advanced search function to fine all posts mentioning ssd in the last
two weeks (to a month, maybe) and read his thread, and then maybe PM him
… . .

dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
via NNTP openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10
Acer Aspire One D255, 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, Intel Pineview graphics

• When your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction! *

Good evening, version 2.6.33 supports Trim, I work in 2.6.39. I have not installed swap (only “/” and “/ home”) I put the firefox cache to 0 MB. I’d like to redirect the temp files / log in RAM of my system, limit writing to a minimum.

I haven’t played around with suse for a while on ssd, but I installed it normally without a problem.
To limit the write, rather use ext2 and turn journalling off.
No swap is fine if you have enough RAM.
I wouldn’t worry about the rest.

I do have an ubuntu ssd that I run regulary (purely because it boots on most systems without having to change the setup) with ext4 partitions and it’s not given any problems.

If you look on the debian site, there is detailed description for debian on ssd. It should work for openSuse as well.

I also have a thread on the subject of SSD’s here where I would welcome any new comments on the subject.

Using a SSD Hard Drive with openSUSE and the TRIM Command

Thank You,

That could be a reference to me and this thread:
New SSD: disappointing boot time
It’s actually quite straightforward, apart from my “problem” which had nothing to do with the SSD. If it helps, here’s what I got in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1            /                    ext4       defaults,noatime,discard,errors=remount-ro,acl,user_xattr 0 1

Don’t listen to suggestions to use ext2, ext4 will be fine with the noatime option. SSD’s have improved since the first “netbooks” when the ext2 advice might have made some sense. And don’t put swap on the SSD: it will rarely be used anyway under normal circumstances so there’s no speed gain involved.