Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

  1. #1

    Default Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    Due to some nasty bugs in Windows 7, I'm switching to using OpenSUSE on my work laptop. I'm an experienced SUSE from the days before OpenSUSE, but I can't seem to customize 11.4 to work more like some older versions I was used to. Here a list of my problems. Any help would be welcome.

    1) I'm using two monitors. The laptop is placed on the left side with 1366x768 resolution. A monitor connected via VGA cable is placed to the right with 1280x1024 resolution. Laptop panel is the main display. Everything looks and works all right, except that my task manager panel doesn't fill up the whole width of the laptop panel. The desktop and the windows do, but the panel seems constricted to 1280, the width of the narrower display. Is there any way to fix this?

    2) Another problem with two monitors. When I maximize a window on the main display (the laptop panel), its right edge overflows into the monitor to the right. It's just a pixel or two, but it's annoying nevertheless.

    3) I've managed to change the default application for opening rpm files from KPackageKit to YaST. How can I change the update applet to YOU? Is it a good idea to do this? KPackageKit reported an update, but when I opened YOU it didn't find the same update. Is there any way to switch to YOU and make it report the same updates as KPackageKit?

    4) Is there a way to change the appearance of task manager panel without changing the theme for the whole desktop? The most important change I would like is to have task manager tasks fill up more of the height of the panel. I'm using Air OpenSUSE theme with Oxygen widgets and right now there is simply too much space on the panel above and below the task items, a space on which you can click and nothing happens.

    5) I'm trying to get rid of the annoying broken green default splash that pops up everywhere it can. The first time I saw it I though something was wrong with my video card driver. I've managed to change the KDE splash, the GRUB splash and the login screen, but what about other screens? For example, there is also a splash screen when I'm shutting down the computer.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    One more question:

    6) How do I add an icon to task manager panel next to the Kickoff button? I can find an application in Kickoff, right-click it, click 'Add to panel' but it adds it next to the systray widget. For example, I've deleted Firefox and Dolphin icons and would like to replace them with Google Chrome and Krusader, but I have no idea how to place them where I want. Drag and drop doesn't work at all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,620

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_One View Post
    Due to some nasty bugs in Windows 7, I'm switching to using OpenSUSE on my work laptop. I'm an experienced SUSE from the days before OpenSUSE, but I can't seem to customize 11.4 to work more like some older versions I was used to. Here a list of my problems. Any help would be welcome.

    1) I'm using two monitors. The laptop is placed on the left side with 1366x768 resolution. A monitor connected via VGA cable is placed to the right with 1280x1024 resolution. Laptop panel is the main display. Everything looks and works all right, except that my task manager panel doesn't fill up the whole width of the laptop panel. The desktop and the windows do, but the panel seems constricted to 1280, the width of the narrower display. Is there any way to fix this?
    Not that I know; if you are using KDE, the default behaviour is to reduce everything to the resolution of the smaller monitor. Other users may be able to offer you a solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_One View Post
    2) Another problem with two monitors. When I maximize a window on the main display (the laptop panel), its right edge overflows into the monitor to the right. It's just a pixel or two, but it's annoying nevertheless.
    Sounds like a consequence of KDE's default behaviour if you are using KDE.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_One View Post
    4) Is there a way to change the appearance of task manager panel without changing the theme for the whole desktop? The most important change I would like is to have task manager tasks fill up more of the height of the panel. I'm using Air OpenSUSE theme with Oxygen widgets and right now there is simply too much space on the panel above and below the task items, a space on which you can click and nothing happens.
    Not encountered this but, if you are using KDE, openSUSE has a height option if you open the panel. Try experimenting with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_One View Post
    5) I'm trying to get rid of the annoying broken green default splash that pops up everywhere it can. The first time I saw it I though something was wrong with my video card driver. I've managed to change the KDE splash, the GRUB splash and the login screen, but what about other screens? For example, there is also a splash screen when I'm shutting down the computer.
    There was an update some time ago which fixed this. Have you rejected some updates?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,620

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_One View Post
    One more question:

    6) How do I add an icon to task manager panel next to the Kickoff button? I can find an application in Kickoff, right-click it, click 'Add to panel' but it adds it next to the systray widget. For example, I've deleted Firefox and Dolphin icons and would like to replace them with Google Chrome and Krusader, but I have no idea how to place them where I want. Drag and drop doesn't work at all.
    Click on the cashew at the end of the panel; unlick widgets and you can move the icons around to your hearts content (unless they are in the system tray).

    (Also the way to adjust the height of the panel.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    Right click with your mouse on the name of the application from the menu and select:


    • Add to panel


    That's it!


    Remember to have fun!

    Romanator
    My Linux Box
    OS:
    openSUSE 52.2 - Plasma 5.18.9
    OS:
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.22
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BMore City
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    KDE is kind of broken right now. Submit detailed bug reports. Sorry about the bad news.

    The launcher panel isn't really configurable. You'll be wanting to know that when it gets corrupted you should right click over the calender & delete the panel. Then right click on the backgroud -> Add panel -> Default panel. This gets you back your original panel. That panel isn't configurable and keeps corrupting itself.

    As far as task manager filling up the height of your panel, you can change the height of your panel under panel settings and select more than one row for the task manager under Task Manger settings -> Max Rows.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    On 06/05/2011 08:06 AM, X61 usr wrote:
    >
    > KDE is kind of broken right now. Submit detailed bug reports. Sorry
    > about the bad news.


    horse hockey!
    there are a few glitches, but mostly KDE4.6.0 works..

    > The launcher panel isn't really configurable.


    it is here! just unlock widgets, single left click the cashew on the
    panel (or, single right click on the panel and select "Panel Settings")
    and lots of configuration is available...

    > You'll be wanting to
    > know that when it gets corrupted you should right click over the
    > calender& delete the panel.


    mine has not been "corrupted"..


    > Then right click on the backgroud -> Add
    > panel -> Default panel. This gets you back your original panel. That
    > panel isn't configurable and keeps corrupting itself.


    no, it does not corrupt itself here, and it is configurable here--you
    system is very ill!!


    > As far as task manager filling up the height of your panel, you can
    > change the height of your panel under panel settings and select more
    > than one row for the task manager under Task Manger settings -> Max
    > Rows.


    WAIT, are you _configuring_ the height of your non-configurable,
    self-corrupting panel???

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    via NNTP openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10
    Acer Aspire One D255, 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, Intel Pineview graphics
    * When your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction! *

  8. #8

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    4) I was looking for a way to remove the padding from the panel, but I guess larger height is a decent solution as well. Thanks. btw, the panel does crash often while resizing, but I managed to get it to the height that looks good.

    5) I haven't rejected any updates. I have a problem with updates as well. Look at 3). Another problem is that KPackageKit and YOU seem to be reporting different updates. When I installed the system, I installed all updates from YaST. Some time after that, KPackageKit reported an OpenSUSE release update which I installed, but the update was not shown by YOU. Now KPackageKit is reporting that update for Google Chrome is available and YOU doesn't see it, and YOU is reporting that Gimp update is available, but KPackageKit doesn't see it. It is as if the two are using totally different repositories.

    6) My widgets are unlocked. I find the icon I want to add in Kickoff, right-click it and select Add to Panel. It gets added next to the systray. I try to drag it but it doesn't move. Note that my widgets are still unlocked. The default panel has Firefox and Dolphin icons next to the Kickoff widget, so it has to be possible, but I have no idea how. Is there a file that defines the panel which I can edit? I read somewhere that KDE4 has a Generic Icon widget that lets you add an 'empty' icon (either to panel or desktop) which you can then configure, but it seems to have been removed from OpenSUSE. Any idea how to add it back?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    An update about updates

    I think I might have solved the problem with my online update applet. I installed the yast2-online-update-configuration package which gave me a new YaST2 module which let me turn on it's automatic updates. I also turned off automatic updates in KPackageKit. I hope it works. I'll see next time one of the two reports or doesn't report an update

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Please help with setting up a laptop with OpenSUSE 11.4

    next time and every time, just ONE problem per thread opener, WITH a
    descriptive title, PLEASE!!

    On 06/06/2011 12:06 PM, Nameless One wrote:
    >


    > 5) I haven't rejected any updates. I have a problem with updates as
    > well. Look at 3). Another problem is that KPackageKit and YOU seem to be
    > reporting different updates. When I installed the system, I installed
    > all updates from YaST. Some time after that, KPackageKit reported an
    > OpenSUSE release update which I installed, but the update was not shown
    > by YOU. Now KPackageKit is reporting that update for Google Chrome is
    > available and YOU doesn't see it, and YOU is reporting that Gimp update
    > is available, but KPackageKit doesn't see it. It is as if the two are
    > using totally different repositories.


    packagekit is not ready for the prime time..

    see, for example: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460773

    and, numerous other problems documented in these fora..

    i advise to make all updates using YaST Online Updater *only*, and
    nothing else..

    i have set my packagekit to check for updates daily, never automatically
    install, and notify when updates are available..

    so, i let it signal me, and nothing more...

    when it signals, i open YaST Online Updater (YOU), look at what is
    presented there and decide if i want it or not...like sometimes it wants
    to update (say) Samba and i know i never use Samba and have deleted it!

    after YOU is finished i open packagekit and click reset, which unchecks
    all boxes it wants to install..

    other folks have other opinions, ymmv!

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    via NNTP openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10
    Acer Aspire One D255, 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, Intel Pineview graphics
    * When your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction! *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •