Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiboot opensuse and windows 7 with windows bootloader.

Default Multiboot opensuse and windows 7 with windows bootloader.

I installed opensuse in my laptop in which I already installed opensuse.
    Now the grub shows first, on boot up. I want to set windows bootloader in front.
    In order to do that, I did the following,

1. unmount all devices "umount /windows/*"
    2. my hard disk partition:- see the link cfdisk /dev/sda | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    3. mount the C drive (where win 7 is installed)
    "ntfs-3g /dev/sda3 /mnt/windows -o force "
    4. dd if=/dev/sda8 of=/mnt/windows/suse.bin bs=512 count=1
    5. kwrite /mnt/windows/boot.ini and write the following,

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)c: \suse.bin
    [operating systems]
    c: \suse.bin="openSUSE"

6. change the boot to sda3 using "sudo /sbin/cfdisk /dev/sda"

Problem is,

now windows bootloader shows when boot up, showing two options,
    windows
    openSUSE

windows option works normally; but openSUSE option doesn't work.

Did I do something wrong while configuring it.

Default Re: Multiboot opensuse and windows 7 with windows bootloader.

If grub shows fisrt, it can not come from sda8 (at least the one you see at start). It might have been installed in the extended partition (usually sda4). So you should either dd the bootsector of sd4 or install Grub in sda8 first and then dd its bootsector to file.

actually, I'm new to linux. How can I find where the grub is installed; I mean how did you say it is in sda4?

Quote Originally Posted by rahulcvv View Post
    actually, I'm new to linux. How can I find where the grub is installed; I mean how did you say it is in sda4?
    Because only the 4 primary partitions can boot directly: sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4. So if you see the Grub menu at boot, the Grub bootloader has to be either in the MBR (first sector of the HD) or in the bootsector of one of these partitions. As Windows 7 most of the time already uses 3 primary partitions, I guessed that the Grub bootloader was installed in the 4th. one, the extended partition. From the partition table point of view, the extended partition is just another primary partition. Grub has two parts: stage1 and stage2. stage1 (the bootsector, 512 bytes) is installed in sda4 - I guess, in your case - and stage2, as you mentionned is installed in sda8. But using the bootsector of sda8 is not going to help you booting Linux ... unless you install Grub stage1 in the bootsector of this partition, which is perfectly possible. You can install Grub stage1 in several locations.

To find out where Grub is installed you can use the script findgrub ... James knows the link better than I do ...

In order to start with grub, I set sda9's flag as boot; see the figure cfdisk /dev/sda | Flickr - Photo Sharing!.
    " To find out where Grub is installed you can use the script findgrub"
    There is no such commad in my system. When I press findgrub, it show error saying command nnnot found.
    by the way who is james? I'm new to this post.
    Won't there be any problem if there is two grub (the one already in sda4 and the one I'm going to install in sda8).

Setting the bootflag of a logical parition is useless. Doing that with cfdisk is even dangerous. You can put yourself in a 'no boot' situation. Please do not reboot now! Give me 5 minutes.

findgrub is a script I wrote. It is also part of updatgegrub. The easiest way to install it is to install updategrub, so it will be already in your path.
    updategrub/findgrub installation is described here: updategrub for openSUSE Legacy Grub (not update-grub!)
    Can you please post the output of fdisk -l to make sure that cfdisk didn't remove the bootflag from your extended partition (usually it does that, unlike fdisk).

Blog Entries

I'm not sure our friend can even boot openSUSE?
    This whole install is a Dog's Breakfast
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Where does this cfdisk come from?

In any case, you have to set the bootflag either on your Windows partition (sda3) or on the extended one (sd4) if it contains Grub (which I assume) if you want to be able to boot anything ... unless you have Grub in MBR (which I doubt). If you have a generic boot code and none of sda3 or sda4 has the bootflag, you are in trouble. According to the picture you posted, I assume that your Windows bootable partition is sda3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast