Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE4 notifications duration

Default KDE4 notifications duration

Is it possible to set how quickly the notifications in KDE4's notifications widget will disappear? They stick around a couple of seconds too long for my taste.

Default Re: KDE4 notifications duration

I also want the same. Hope some KDE devs also read this forum.

Funny how I tried GNOME a couple of months back and concluded that it is great for basic users but not good for advanced users because it is too difficult to customize the DE. I still find KDE4 better but it's alarming that they've gone in the same direction and that you can't customize half the features in KDE 4.6. I hope those issues have been addressed in 4.7.

Hi,

unfortunately, it seems you can't change the duration - see here :

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198331

Lenwolf

In fact I wonder why this notification thing is is there at all. It withdraws me from my work and never says anything useful.
    Henk van Velden

Lucky you, hcw, you can remove the widget. I just want them to go away faster. I don't need 5 seconds to understand what happened. If I do need more time in some cases I can always click the widget to review the notifications.

On 06/08/2011 12:36 PM, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > In fact I wonder why this notification thing is is there at all. It
    > withdraws me from my work and never says anything useful.
    >
    >

turn them off if you don't want them..

Personal Settings - Configure Desktop > Application & System
    Notifications > Manage Notifications > Applications, spin "Event
    source:" to "KDE Workspace" (or whatever it is that is making noise or
    pop-ups and have a ball..

every sound and pop-up can be turned off (or on)...you can even change
    the sounds if you wish (there are several MUCH longer than others...so,
    pick some short ones, if you want)

when you have what you want (or what you no longer want) press "Accept"..

easy-peasy

--
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    via NNTP openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10
    Acer Aspire One D255, 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, Intel Pineview graphics
    * When your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction! *

Any idea how to disabled Copying and Moving notifications? Krusader triggers them when opening and saving a remote file respectively.

OK, ok, I do understand that you can switch on/off a lot of things. But I can not remember I had this sort of myriads of useless notifications plopping up in 10.2. Then why is it that after an upgrade I have to be annoyed by them, learn where to find the configuration and then learn how to switch them off?

I remember that loading a web page with Konqureor did popup a notification (though not allways to make it more magicaly) that the page was "downloaded". Well I could see it was there in my Konqui window. One of the reason I am using FF now more and more.

My post above was more to get some information about what usefull notifictions others value because I can not remember one. But forget it, I guess it is off topic.
    Henk van Velden

Notifications that occur rarely are the notifications you want to see. You want to know when you removable drive is ready for access. You want to know if you accidentally plug off a usb device. You want to know when your NetworkManager finally managed to connect to a wireless network.

What I don't want is notifications for thing that I do all the time. If I do something all the time, I'm quite sure I know that it is happening and I'm quite ok with it. For example, as a web developer, I often get to work with files on ftp and I save without thinking after each change I make in a file. Having 5 Moving [Finished] notifications stack atop each other and slowly disappearing one by one is not desirable in my case. So far, I haven't been able to find settings for this kind of notification in either KDE settings or Krusader. (now I see a 'Why do you use Krusader to edit remote files!?' question coming from emacs or vi fans.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast