KDE4 Screen Edge Actions with two displays

Are KDE4 Screen Edge Actions supposed to not work in multi-display setup? I have two displays and Screen Edge Actions define and nothing happens when I move the pointer to an edge or a corner of the main display.

Hello Nameless_One,

They are supposed to work with multi-display desktops AFAIK.
Could you tell a bit more about your setup, resolutions, graphics card, openSUSE and KDE versions?

Make sure that you’ve got desktop effects enabled since most of the actions require desktop effects.
And remember that the edges are located on the far ends of the desktop, not the displays!

Best of luck!:wink:

Disabled Desktop Effects might be the cause of my problem. I have a 1366x768 laptop panel and a 1280x1024 monitor on ATI HD 4250 integrated graphics card. Is it ok to turn on Desktop Effects on a card like this?

You probably have to install the proprietary ATI drivers. Check out SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE.

Hello Nameless_One,

It mostly depends on which action you try to achieve, AFAIK “Lock Screen”, “Show Desktop” and “Show Dashboard” should work with desktop effects disabled.

I’m afraid that when you enable Desktop Effects the performance would be terrible.
Especially when you have the opensource drivers, but it’s worth trying.

I think the proprietary drivers probably will do the job.

Best of luck!:wink:

I have dual displays in KDE 4.6.3 and the screen edge actions only work with 3D effects enabled - at least the three I use: show windows, show desktops and cube. If I disable 3D with ALT+SHIFT+F12 none work. I’m running the proprietary nvidia driver.

Note that, regardless of how many displays you have, you only get the 8 hotspots around the combined virtual screen area.