Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Gnome vs kde

  1. #1

    Default Gnome vs kde

    Is there a way to toggle between a gnome and KDE desktops?
    Travis

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    You can choose between them when you login, but not switch during a session.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    You can choose between them when you login, but not switch during a session.
    Hi
    That's not quite true, you can have multiple monitors and start different Desktops on them from runlevel 3 One of the regulars on usenet alt.os.linux.suse does it from memory... will ping him for more information.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    Well strictly speaking that's two different sessions. So as I said, you can't switch within a session because it's the desktop manager that heads the session.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    Well strictly speaking that's two different sessions. So as I said, you can't switch within a session because it's the desktop manager that heads the session.
    I stand corrected.... I've asked on usenet for posterity....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    BTW I don't doubt that it can be done as you have described, if you run a separate X server for each monitor.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    You can type metacity --replace in KDE ... and get the worst of both worlds ... or export KDEWM in your environment to use another wm in KDE (like metacity or openbox).

  8. #8

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    That's not quite true, you can have multiple monitors and start different Desktops on them from runlevel 3 One of the regulars on usenet alt.os.linux.suse does it from memory... will ping him for more information.
    Or you can have two sessions running on different screens on a single monitor and switch between them with CTRL-ALT-F7, CTRL-ALT-F8 (I'm doing it right now).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    On 2011-06-08 01:36, ken yap wrote:
    >
    > BTW I don't doubt that it can be done as you have described, if you run
    > a separate X server for each monitor.


    Even on the same monitor.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Gnome vs kde

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Or you can have two sessions running on different screens on a single monitor and switch between them with CTRL-ALT-F7, CTRL-ALT-F8 (I'm doing it right now).
    Hi
    Sounds like you need to write an article about how it's done
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •