Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wired router, want to transfer files between local computers

Default Wired router, want to transfer files between local computers

Hello List, Moderators,

Should I be able to transfer files between computers wired to the same router?

Is the router bridging function used to transfer data between wired computers?

I just got DSL and I'm new to networking. I have openSuse 11.4 on two computers plugged into a Belkin router. The internet connection to my ISP works from either computer.

If I ping $HOSTNAME from either computer, the hostnames are different, but the IP address is the same which is that of my ISP.

I only have the one router, but it has a bridging option. I don't know if it can do both bridging and routing simultaneously.

If this post fits the charter here, I would appreciate some guidance on this subject.
    Heboland

Default Re: Wired router, want to transfer files between local computers

As $HOSTAME gives you the name of the system where you execute the command, the result is that you ping to the system itself. That is on systemA you in fact say:
    Code:
    ping systemA
    which is probably not what you wat.
    On systemA you want to try if you have connection to systemB by doing
    Code:
    ping systemB
    When you want to know which IP addresses both systems have, then do
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    on each of the systems.

And it is normal that systems can communicate when they are on the same LAN (as your systems seem to be). File transfer can be done then in a myriad of ways.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

In a box like that, normally the Ethernet ports are all on the same LAN segment, no different from a switch. The router function only refers to between the Internet and the LAN. If you put it into bridging mode (which you normally wouldn't) this is between the Internet and one device on the LAN side. So even if the router were unplugged from the phone line, the computers would still be able to communicate with each other. You will normally see that they get addresses in same subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.2 and .3. The computers can then communicate in a number of ways as hcvv said. The traffic doesn't go through the router function of the hardware; it's as if they were connected to the same Ethernet switch.

Thanks ken_yap, hew!

Running ifconfig -a on each machine does show it's IP address assigned by the router. I can ping either address IP address from either computer.

Also I can ping systemB from systemA and viceversa. The ping of systemB from systemA still shows only the ISPs address.

Now that I have the unique IP address of each computer, I will experiment with methods to transfer files. The remote copy (rcp) is gone, but I understand it's been replace by ssh. Alternately I can set up an ftp server on one machine.

Heboland

Hello again! I'm replying to myself in hopes of getting some help with a port question.

Ssh looks to be the simplest approach to copy between local machines. It looks to me like the openSuse 11.4 DVD installer loaded the ssh server on both machines. Yast2 doesn't show any ssh server packages that aren't installed.

My problem is now with port 22. Do I need to enable this in the router, the firewall, or in some config file?

Running ssh on this computer's IP address I get this:
    ssh 192.168.3.3
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.3.3 port 22: Connection refused

Using instead localhost I get this:
    ssh localhost
    ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Network is unreachable

Running ssh on the other local computer's IP address hangs, and viseversa. I've tried both as myself and as root. I have an account with the same account name on each computer.

Since the scope of my copying is just these two local machines, it may be more secure to the outside world to use a different port than 22.

If I'm right about that, what would be a good alternative port to use, and what and where is required to open that port? Heboland

Blog Entries

It's nothing to do with the Ethernet switch. Check your firewall settings on the machines, that you have allowed ssh.

Blog Entries

@heboland: If you're using a graphical desktop like Gnome or KDE, why don't you try using a file manager with 'sftp://'

Code:
    sftp://<ip address>/<path>
    Dolphin or konqueror (KDE), or Nautilus (Gnome) all have this capability.

Some simple guides for you

Secure File Transfer in Nautilus with SFTP | Tux Tweaks

Concepts networking - openSUSE

Thanks again deano_ferrari, ken_yap,

Deano, yes I have kde/dolphin on one computer and lxde on the other. Both have browsers with networking features. your suggestion is excellent, but I can't get the beans out of the can!

All three of the dolphin networking icons are empty. I tried adding a network folder which brings up a menu of blanks to be filled in. Here I chose ssh out of four choices. I used the IP address of the other computer as the server. The result is "Unable to connect to the server"

So maybe the default ssh 11.4 installation didn't install an ssh server. Both of my boxes may be ssh clients only. How would I know if an ssh server was installed?

Setting the ssh port in the firewall is another overwhelming experience. I added ssh service. The advanced button has port settings: TCP, UPC, RPC, and IP Procols. Wow!

So I tried setting a TCP port, the same one on each box. No change in ssh behavior!

The ssh firewall service is allowed, but it doesn't put a service into the Network Services icon in the Dolphin Network choices. Possibly the magic for this choice is in the yast network services menu.

There's nothing in that menu I recognize like smb or ssh. Maybe that's because I don't actually have an ssh server installed. These choices look like daemons related to networking. There's a couple dozen to choose from.

It wouldn't take a guru setting in this seat very long to get all these toys working, but I think the gap is too large for me to get this working on this forum.

Let me snipe away at this at my leisure. Installing an ftp server may shed more light on the subject. At least I'll know I have a server installed.

Meanwhile there is the "sneaker net". If that term isn't in the common vernacular, it's using tennis shoes to move a thumb drive back and forth between computers!

Heboland

Blog Entries

Go into YaST and check that the ssh server is running. If not start it, and set it to start at boot.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    Go into YaST and check that the ssh server is running. If not start it, and set it to start at boot.
    Exdactly the OP never told he started sshd.
    Go to YaST > System > System services (runlevel) look for sshd and switch it on. YaST will not only do it, but also configure it to be started on boot (and also configure the Firewall IIRC).
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast