hp mini 110-3000 mic not working

Ok, so I am complete newbie when it comes to linux. I’ve managed to install openSuse 11.4, and have also managed to get the sound working properly, but the mic doesn’t seem to be working. Could any one help me with this ?

My system is a hp mini 110 3000 netbook which came pre installed with windows 7. I’d install ubuntu on this before switching to openSuse, and in ubuntu the mic was working.

Also, I can’t get bluetooth and the sd card reader working. I’ve got the ath9k driver installed, and WLAN works perfectly on that, but bluetooth doesn’t.

I’d appreciated if some would help me solve these issues.

Cheers
hdtown

I recommend you install the application ‘pavucontrol’ and then run ‘pavucontrol’ and use it to configure your input audio device and your recording.

When testing your mic, I recommend you run as a regular user from a terminal the following command:

arecord -vv -f cd test.wav

and record for 30 seconds or so, check the pavucontrol controls for the recording (it should be known as ‘alsa’ application for recording), and abort the recording by pressing in the terminal and then play back test.wav in a media player to see if the recording was successful.

If that does not work, then I need more information (per the multimedia stickie) to understand better the hardware and software configuration on your HP Mini 110 3000 netbook: Welcome to multimedia sub-area and I’ll quote the relevant section from that:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL/website-address that gives. Just the URL/website-address. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
Note if for some reason that gives you no website/url/address then run it with the no-upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

and post the file /etc/alsa-info.txt it creates to Pastebin.comand press SUBMIT on that site and again post here the URL/website-address it provides.

… some clarification on running the script “alsa-info.sh” … when you run:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

you should get something like this (if it asks for an update, select NO):
http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/9280/a5973e92794041.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (select the SHARE/UPLOAD option):
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/9280/5e84f992794044.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (its quickest if you simply select ‘NO’ to seeing the output - you will see it on the web page) :
http://thumbnails32.imagebam.com/9280/214da092794048.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (where in RED is the URL).
http://thumbnails23.imagebam.com/9280/d9858092794051.jpg](ImageBam)

Just post the URL you get (similar to the RED URL in my example, but yours will be different).

Again, if you can not get that, then run this with the no upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload
which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt. Copy that file and paste it on [Pastebin.com](http://pastebin.com) and press submit. That will give you a URL address. Please post that URL here.

Also provide the following:

• in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or newer, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

Please start separate new threads for your bluetooth and sd card reader problems.

Ok, so I installed pavucontrol, but when I tried recording, the pavucontrol program wasn’t able to pick up any sound, but when I play music, the pavucontrol input shows that it is receiving sound, but when I speak something (using the command you wrote down earlier), though pavucontrol lists the application that is recording sound as ‘ALSA’, it doesn’t seem to pick up any sound at all. In the terminal too, the last line stays at 00 % .

Here is my alsa log :

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5f255fa87619de8e492417adbed990c82b53ce60

linux-nnhp:~> sudo rpm -qa ‘alsa
root’s password:
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-6.1.i586
alsa-firmware-1.0.24.1-3.1.noarch
alsa-1.0.24.1-3.1.i586
alsa-plugins-1.0.24-6.1.i586
alsa-oss-1.0.17-32.1.i586
alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-3.1.i586

linux-nnhp:~> sudo rpm -qa ‘pulse
libpulse-browse0-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-6.1.i586
pulseaudio-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
libpulse0-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
libxine1-pulse-1.1.19-4.4.i586
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.22-6.9.1.i586

linux-nnhp:~> sudo rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.24.1-3.1.i586

linux-nnhp:~> sudo uname -a
Linux linux-nnhp.site 2.6.37.1-1.2-default #1 SMP 2011-02-21 10:34:10 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

linux-nnhp:~> sudo cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.Kd3VUUVAEMF:82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

OK, thanks. I note a 32-bit openSUSE-11.4 running on your HP Mini 110-3000 with the old 2.6.37.1-1.2-default kernel. Is there any reason why you have not accepted the nominal kernel security update for 11.4 (as that also has sound device fixes incorporated) ?

I note the alsa sound driver is version 1.0.23 (and its utilities version 1.0.24.2). The hardware audio codec of your HP Mini 110-3000 is identified as an IDT (Stac) 92HD88B1. Searching the alsa driver website suggests support for the 92HD88B1 was added as of alsa version 1.0.2.3.

For recording devices I note:

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
**card 0**: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/2
  Subdevice **#0**: subdevice #0
  Subdevice **#1**: subdevice #1

which suggests your hardware record device is hw:0,0 and hw:0,1.

It appears you “MAY” have capture muted in pavucontrol dependent on which input record method you are using ? Are using an internal integrated mic in your record attempts ? Or have you plugged in an external Mic and trying to use that in your record attempts How many input jacks for a Mic are there are your HP Mini ?

ie ‘internal’ or ‘external’ ? Which are you trying to use ?

When I look at the mixer settings I note:

**!!Amixer output**
!!-------------

**!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Intel]**

**Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0x54200000 irq 43'**
  Mixer name	: 'IDT 92HD88B1'
**Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0**
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -48.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -48.00dB] [on]
**Simple mixer control 'PCM',0**
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -51.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -51.00dB]
**Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Jack Mode',0**
  Items: 'Mic In' 'Line In'
  Item0: **'Mic In'**
**Simple mixer control 'Mic',0**
  Front Left: Capture 1 **[33%]** [10.00dB]
  Front Right: Capture 1 **[33%]** [10.00dB]
**Simple mixer control 'Capture',0**
  Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
**Simple mixer control 'Capture',1**
  Front Left: Capture 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Capture 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB] **[off]**

You need to figure out if the record hardware you are using (internal integrated mic or external mic) is capture 0 or capture 1. Clearly you have capture 1 muted (at 0% capture and OFF). In addition your mini’s mixer has capture at 33% which IMHO is too low. Move it up to 66% or higher for testing.

Dependant on your mic, you could also try testing with these 3 different arecord commands, where this is likely the best command (together with pavucontrol):

and where one has the following two commands direct to the alsa device to record:

For device-0 :

arecord -D hw:0,0 -vv -f cd test0.wav

and for device-1 :

arecord -D hw:1,0 -vv -f cd test1.wav

and play back with a multimedia application to see if there is sound. Note you will hear NO SOUND with PCM at 0% and speaker at 0%.

Please ensure your pulse audio Configuration tabs and Input tabs are setup correctly !

A screen shot of those (when attempting to record) would be handy.

AND a reminder, your volume controls make no sense. You have PCM volume at 0% and you have speaker volume at 0%. I don’t know how you can get any audio output with those settings. So even if you record with the arecord command, you will hear nothing with those playback settings.

How do I update ?

I note the alsa sound driver is version 1.0.23 (and its utilities version 1.0.24.2). The hardware audio codec of your HP Mini 110-3000 is identified as an IDT (Stac) 92HD88B1. Searching the alsa driver website suggests support for the 92HD88B1 was added as of alsa version 1.0.2.3.

For recording devices I note:

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
**card 0**: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/2
  Subdevice **#0**: subdevice #0
  Subdevice **#1**: subdevice #1

which suggests your hardware record device is hw:0,0 and hw:0,1.

It appears you "MAY" have capture muted in pavucontrol dependent on which input record method you are using ?  Are using an internal integrated mic in your record attempts ?  Or have you plugged in an external Mic and trying to use that in your record attempts How many input jacks for a Mic are there are your HP Mini ?

ie 'internal' or 'external' ? Which are you trying to use ?

It is an internal mic, there is no input jack for an external mic

When I look at the mixer settings I note:

**!!Amixer output**
!!-------------

**!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Intel]**

**Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0x54200000 irq 43'**
  Mixer name	: 'IDT 92HD88B1'
**Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0**
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -48.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -48.00dB] [on]
**Simple mixer control 'PCM',0**
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -51.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -51.00dB]
**Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Jack Mode',0**
  Items: 'Mic In' 'Line In'
  Item0: **'Mic In'**
**Simple mixer control 'Mic',0**
  Front Left: Capture 1 **[33%]** [10.00dB]
  Front Right: Capture 1 **[33%]** [10.00dB]
**Simple mixer control 'Capture',0**
  Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
**Simple mixer control 'Capture',1**
  Front Left: Capture 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Capture 0 **[0%]** [0.00dB] **[off]**

You need to figure out if the record hardware you are using (internal integrated mic or external mic) is capture 0 or capture 1. Clearly you have capture 1 muted (at 0% capture and OFF).  In addition your mini's mixer has capture at 33% which IMHO is too low. Move it up to 66% or higher for ....

How do I unmute it ?
How do how I move up the capture % ?

Dependant on your mic, you could also try testing with these 3 different arecord commands, where this is likely the best command (together with pavucontrol):

and where one has the following two commands direct to the alsa device to record:

For device-0 : 

and for device-1 :

arecord -D hw:1,0 -vv -f cd test1.wav

and play back with a multimedia application to see if there is sound. Note you will hear NO SOUND with PCM at 0% and speaker at 0%.

Please ensure your pulse audio Configuration tabs and Input tabs are setup correctly !  

A screen shot of those (when attempting to record) would be handy.

AND a reminder, your volume controls make no sense. You have PCM volume at 0% and you have speaker volume at 0%.  I don't know how you can get any audio output with those settings. So even if you record with the arecord command, you will hear nothing with those playback settings.

I think I know whats happening, when I shout into the laptop, the slider moves a little and terminal shows 2 %, and when I play music at the highest possible volume it moves to 15 % . I do not know about the volume controls, I can hear music perfectly, and youtube videos too have perfect audio.

When I tried capturing via capturing via :

linux-nnhp:~> sudo arecord -D hw:1,0 -vv -f cd test1.wav
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
arecord: main:660: audio open error: No such file or directory

Attached Images :

Do NOT use sudo. Please! You do NOT need root permissions to do this. If you had needed root permissions, I would have done my best to advise you.

PLEASE do this as a regular user.

Now having typed that - I’m bad ! Try instead:

sudo arecord -D hw:0,1 -vv -f cd test1.wav

Are you certain ?? Quite often in netbooks it is a SHARED jack.

I note this from the manual for the HP Mini 110:

http://thumbnails11.imagebam.com/13528/895acd135276650.jpg](ImageBam)
[click on image for larger view]

and a closer view:
http://thumbnails38.imagebam.com/13528/67cefe135276652.jpg](ImageBam)

and also:
http://thumbnails11.imagebam.com/13528/9d3da9135276654.jpg](ImageBam)

Now I do NOT normally take the time to look at someone else’s user manual, but it is VERY RARE that there is NOT an input record jack, hence I wanted to be sure as best I could before I contracted what you noted.

This IS IMPORTANT as to understand the script diagnostic output I need to understand your hardware. Its also important you understand the same.

One way is to update via YaST > Software > Software Maintenance.

You need to look at the ‘pavucontrol’ configuration tab and input device tab. And then be VERY careful as to what you select in the drop down menu options.

MOST important is to understand your hardware as you likely have MORE THAN ONE record device.

I am not able to see anything like Software Maintenance, though Software Management exists.

All I see in the configuration tab is :

http://i.imgur.com/u2O5O.png

I am sorry, yes that is a shared jack, I’d used it in the past with my iPod’s headset. So, I plugged it in and this is what is got :

http://i.imgur.com/ntAra.png

Even if I speak softly, it goes upto 99 %

~Double post removed~

I believe with only one hardware sound device (which is not the same as the subdevice representing your internal mic) that is expected and consistent with the diagnostic script you ran. What other ‘profile’ selections do you have in that ‘configuration’ menu tab ?

What does the ‘input devices’ tab look like ? What selection did you chose there? What are the options for choosing there ? THAT is more critical for setting up your mic.

the other profile selections in the configuration tab are :

analog stereo output
analog stereo input
off

as for the input tab. here is a screenshot :

from the dropdown i can select :

all input devices ( only adds a monitor )
all except monitors
hardware input devices ( same result as screenshot )
virtual input devices ( no virtual input device )
monitors

OK, some simple things.

Do NOT filter what you want me to see.

You are filtering that in pavucontrol in the “Input Devices” tab by selecting “Show: All except monitors”. There may be a reason for filtering, but when setting up, do not filter! Instead select “Show: All Input Devices” and then give me the “Input Devices” screen print again.

The same is true under the RECORDING tab. PLEASE do not filter what you think I want to see. Please instead select “Show: All input streams”. And try to record and again give me a print screen (you should see a recording stream).

Its difficult to help configure pulse when those filters are applied. Whether they are default settings or not, please configure them to show the maximum information here! Thanks!

This is while I’ve the recording command in the terminal as follows :

Off-topic, but you seem to be the one man army of the multimedia section, don’t you get tired of fixing problems day in and day out ?

ok … please also try:

arecord -D hw:0,1 -vv -f cd test0.wav     

and try the generic

arecord -vv -f cd test0.wav     

I’m a bit surprised you have no drop down selections under ‘input’ devices.

Its possible the selection “Analog Stereo Duplex” is NOT the correct setting in the Configuration Tab and you need to try something else ? I don’t know the exact setting for your hardware … possibly it is “Analog Stereo Output” ? There are also likely other choices.

Yes, I probably do. I think I get grumpy (far far far too grumpy) and not as polite/understanding as I should be at times, and that is a sure sign to me that I need to go away for away for a while and come back when my attitude is fixed.

Thanks a lot, I got it sorted out. This is what I did, I plugged in my iPhone’s headset, set the config to the duplex option, and in the recording tab, I set the “capture from” to internal analog stereo, seems like it was stuck on monitor of internal analog stereo for some reason.

Thanks a lot once again.

PS. Do I open a thread in the multimedia section for my bluetooth and sd card issues ? or do I do so in some other section ?

I recommend the ‘hardware’ subforum area.