how to get to login console from grub

without x or gdm, as i have neither. is this possible? tried adding “3” to boot options for desktop and failsafe to no avail. 11.4 opensuse with gnome 3
thanks in advance

without x or gdm, as i have neither. is this possible? tried adding “3” to boot options for desktop and failsafe to no avail. 11.4 opensuse with gnome 3
thanks in advance
So you just installed openSUSE 11.4 and your screen goes blank before you get to login in. Is that correct? Instead of using the option 3, which should send you to the terminal problem, where you could login, why not try the kernel load option of nomodeset? We need to know a little more about the installation, has it even worked and what kind of computer hardware are you using? Is this a dual boot system with Windows and Windows still works OK?

Thank You,

i’ve been using it for a week or two actually but recently changed video cards due to poor legacy ati driver performance. i didn’t want to get into too many details as i’ve been messing with this all day and wouldn’t know where to start. the reason i asked that specific question is because i need to install proprietary nvidia driver i downloaded(the correct one this time) but the screen goes black after grub. x was working but i changed xorg config using terminal command found in nvidia settings dialog that basically changed the driver referenced in xorg.conf to nv instead of NVIDIA or the other way around(i don’t remember) thinking this would make it to where i would have a console login instead of gdm login because that’s what happened last time i tried to reconfig x to use nvidia driver, but it didn’t work. now i have neither gdm nor console login and i need console login to install driver. i was wondering if someone new how to use grub commands to get to console login if this is even possible. or another way to get to console login. i’ve tried nomodeset. i assume it’s trying to go into runlevel 5 and i need runlevel 3 as this worked earlier today but i set that from gui. i have a possible hardware workaround but i was trying to avoid that as it complicates matters and i wanted to learn how to get to console login from grub with no x available. tried with live cd but didn’t know how to get root control over mounted suse filesystem to change runlevel/xorg.config or anything else. by the way it’s a fx 5700le. thanks again

On 06/04/2011 06:06 AM, cleatus wrote:
>
> the screen goes black

see here to smile: http://tinyurl.com/23mgej6

dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

thanks i hadn’t seen that tutorial. i was using nomodeset on the wrong kernel because yast reconfigured kernels when i changed around some xserver packages earlier in the day and i didn’t realize it needed to be the top kernel. seems obvious that it would be but…now maybe i can get to runlevel 3 and get the correct driver installed

For anyone using an nVIDIA video card I suggest loading the driver the hard way and to that end here is some info on doing that. Here is the Link to loading it the hard way:

SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE

I happen to have written a bash script useful in loading the driver the hard way you can find here:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Page 2

Thank You,

On 06/04/2011 02:36 PM, cleatus wrote:
>
> thanks i hadn’t seen that tutorial. … …now maybe i can get
> to runlevel 3 and get the correct driver installed

welcome…i think that page either walks you though that, or points to
another page which will…there is even a “1-Click” somewhere, which
worked for me (on another machine, with nvidia)

[NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
Acer Aspire One D255

ok…i had my install so screwed up i reinstalled. init 3 does not seem to work at all with my hardware. furthermore i have no console login shutdown option that i can find anywhere. where is it supposed to be?

does your bash script initiate runlevel 3 or does it work after already in runlevel 3?

ok…i had my install so screwed up i reinstalled. init 3 does not seem to work at all with my hardware. furthermore i have no console login shutdown option that i can find anywhere. where is it supposed to be?

does your bash script initiate runlevel 3 or does it work after already in runlevel 3?
Here is the actions I take to install the nVIDIA driver the hard way:

1. Download driver from nVIDIA listed for your video card to your Downloads folder.
  2. Download and install the lnvhw bash script file as described in my message thread.
  3. Restart openSUSE
  4. In the Grub Menu enter just the number 3 and then press the enter key on the standard openSUSE startup line.
  5. Allow the kernel to load and finally when prompted, log in as root with the root password.
  6. Type in the command lnvhw and following the bash file prompts.
  7. As the nVIDIA driver loads, select the correct prompts. I normally load the 32 bit openGL driver as well.
  8. Once loaded I type in the command reboot.

Thank You,

i appreciate it but unless i’m missing something following your directions assumes i can successfully enter run level 3. alas, i have so far been unsuccessful. any ideas as to why init 3 from root terminal inside gnome or pressing 3 at grub doesn’t get me to a console login? or why i don’t have a console login option included with shutdown options either within gnome or at gdm?

hold the phone…conf.d still has radeon listed as the home partition wasn’t overwritten during install. probably should have just formatted that

On 06/04/2011 05:36 PM, cleatus wrote:
>
> ok…i had my install so screwed up i reinstalled. init 3 does not seem
> to work at all with my hardware. furthermore i have no console login
> shutdown option that i can find anywhere. where is it supposed to be?

lets go back to basics:

Did you do this http://tinyurl.com/2ebcf27 before install attempt? (if
not, please, boot from the install media, do it now and report results)

Was it installed from media downloaded from software.opensuse.org, or
some other place? Where?

describe your hardware, please…

is there any other operating system on this machine, what?

is it a super computer, just your average rack mount or maybe home
desktop or laptop…

it is running on bare metal, or in a VM? if a VM what is the host?

does the machine meet minimums for the system you are tying to install?
by the way, WHAT is the system you are trying to install??

is this an “upgrade” from a preexisting Linux install? which?

via NNTP openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10
on Acer Aspire One D255, 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, Intel Pineview graphics

i’ll get back with you. after selecting “check installation media” i lost video. does the live cd change drivers at that point? if not there may be a hardware problem. going to let the pc/card cool down and see if it works then. thanks for the help

On 06/04/2011 09:06 PM, cleatus wrote:
>
> i’ll get back with you. after selecting “check installation media” i
> lost video. does the live cd change drivers at that point?

as i recall it drops to a terminal like display…the output is text…

> going to let the pc/card cool down and see if it works then.

why is it so hot it needs to cool? have you dumped out the chicken bones
lately???

on Acer Aspire One D255, 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, Intel Pineview graphics

no i didn’t really suspect it was hot but i was tired of messing with it and wanted to rule it out. cd checked out ok. had to put in vesa mode for it to display the text though. yes i got it from software.opensuse.org. i would give you the smolt profile but you know… amd athlon 64, msi motherboard. sata 500GB hd set to run at 150mb’s as required by non forward compatable via sata chip. 3GB of ram running at 400mhz. nvidia fx 5700le . yes there’s a non functioning windows partition. couldn’t get the previous video card working right. but grub works fine minus the runlevel 3 issue. bare metal desktop. no vm. clean install minus the fact that i didn’t have the installer format the separate home partition. opensuse 11.4 64bit. fully updated.

any ideas as to why init 3 from root terminal inside gnome or pressing 3 at grub doesn’t get me to a console login? or why i don’t have a console login option included with shutdown options either within gnome or at gdm?

ok my monitor resolution was out of range. changed monitor to old school crt 1024x768. found out how to change video mode at grub. i.e. changed vga=0x348 to vga=1024x768 wich of course was not how to do it but showed dialog with acceptable video modes including vesa which were known to work. so…changed vga-0x348 to vesa=0x305 and it booted to gdm. restarted. changed vga=0x348 to vesa=0x305 3 and it booted to console login. thanks for the help everyone. got me thinking about the hardware i was certain wasn’t the issue, but kinda was!

On 06/04/2011 11:36 PM, cleatus wrote:
>
> ok my monitor resolution was out of range. . . got me thinking about the hardware
> i was certain wasn’t the issue, but kinda was!

good to hear you sorted it, at last…

(yep, it is not always possible to select the path to ‘fixed’ if one
rules out hardware…or software…or user setup…or or or or . . .)

Acer Aspire One D255, 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, Intel Pineview graphics

• When your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction! *