WPA Device, WPA2 Router

Hi there,
I am sorry if this is not the right place to post. I have some devices, Wii, Blueray player, and such that have WPA encryption. My router DI-624 has WPA, and WPA2. Can I use the WPA2 security and have the other devices connect to this or am I going to have to use WPA?

If you have some devices that are only WPA compatible, then I think they cannot handle WPA2. If they could handle WPA2, it is likely that the manufacturer would have mentioned that on the spec sheet.

I am currently using WPA2/AES. But, until recently, I was using WPA (with TKIP). I did not have any concerns about security. However, I do recommend that you use a longish key (say 20 chars or more).

mich04 wrote:

>
> Hi there,
> I am sorry if this is not the right place to post. I have some devices,
> Wii, Blueray player, and such that have WPA encryption. My router DI-624
> has WPA, and WPA2. Can I use the WPA2 security and have the other
> devices connect to this or am I going to have to use WPA?

My router/DSL modem is perfectly fine with any of the enabled security
methods and quite happily mixes them. The old router/modem handled only WEP
and WPA (PSK or TKIP). Without changing the laptops in any way, the new one
uses WPA2 with the two that support it in the laptop adapter but it has no
problem handling the one which only has WPA1 available. Apparently, it is
part of the negotiation - which only makes sense - for the highest level
mutually supported and uses the same key for both just adjusting the
encryption method. That would appear to be a hole in the setup as
recovering the WPA1 key is fairly well understood which would in turn give
access to WPA2 traffic but what is, is.

I can’t speak to WEP as I don’t use it or have it enabled.

Will Honea

If you have some devices that are only WPA compatible, then I think they cannot handle WPA2. If they could handle WPA2, it is likely that the manufacturer would have mentioned that on the spec sheet.
I am currently using WPA2/AES. But, until recently, I was using WPA (with TKIP). I did not have any concerns about security. However, I do recommend that you use a longish key (say 20 chars or more). 

I do understand that WPA can not compute WPA2 Keys, It just seems silly to have 3 WPA2 capable devices and 1 WPA device and have that one device inhibit having enhanced security. The DI-624 does not allow me to use more than one security type. I guess I will just use WPA thanks.

Some devices do not have support for AES encryption, and that pretty much forces the use of TKIP.

Broadcast packets have to be readable by all devices.