How to uninstall Totem in 11.4

I have 11.4 in a kiosk environment and only want VLC as my video plug-in. Since 11.4 FireFox crashes whenever it tries to using the application/x-VLC player type. I’ve tried disabling Totem, selecting VLC as the application/x-VLC type but nothing works. I’d just like to uninstall the Totem plugins completely but don’t know how… or find a way to make VLC work in 11.4 with Firefox 4. I installed FF 4.0.1 but no change.

Strange because I actually install Totem browser plugin in my KDE installs because it works better, that and gecko-mediaplayer.

The problem lies somewhere else… Totem uses the gstreamer backend while VLC uses it’s own backend, there should be absolutly no conflicts between them as they are using very different chunks of code without any relation between themselves.

Totem is the default player for GNOME, uninstalling it and all the dependies it requires will probably bring additional problems, but like I said earlier, there’s no relation between totem and vlc, your problem isn’t related to totem for sure.

What you can do is to remove the browser plugins from totem and that might be done using the following command:

rpm -e totem-browser-plugin-gmp totem-browser-plugin 

Ok, thanks. I’ll continue checking to see if I can find another reason. On one of my 11.4 machines I got it to work by selecting VLC for the application/x-VLC type but it didn’t work on the other one. I’ll follow your instructions and see what I get.

Thanks