Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: partitions are not being auto mounted on start up

Default Re: partitions are not being auto mounted on start up

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    Are You using KDE or GNOME or some other desktop environment ?
    You can always become root "su -" and than use "vi /etc/fstab" but I'm not sure if You know how to operate vi (it can be tricky at first). Basicaly You can use any text editor with root privilages to edit /etc/fstab so choose your favourite one

Best regards,
    Greg
    i am using gnome and kde for this case i am using kde.my output was
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part8 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part10 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part11 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    ~                                                                               
    "/etc/fstab" 8L, 712C                                         1,1           All
    now the command given by Carl is also working what to do next?Image bam site is not loading full image in my connection so please.

@Henk i will follow your steps also.so you can also continue.

Quote Originally Posted by vike4 View Post
    @Henk i will follow your steps also.so you can also continue.
    Decide on one method and follow it this are basically two ways to do the same thing. Once You follow Henk's method You don't have to follow Carl's and the other way around. What is more it's not a good idea to follow both methods at the same time. Chose the one which You feel more comfortable with and get on with it.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Henk's method is not working for me.i created mount points as he said.but it works only before the next restart.what can i do?tell me how to do Henk's method successfully.or tell me the Carl's method.image bam is not loading the full image so tell me what to do next?

Quote Originally Posted by vike4 View Post
    all okay Henk i replaced the mount points of the partitions to /home/username/xxx(here xxx is the name of the label of my desired partition).but after a restart all falls back to default.i think i should select device path in the fstab options in the following image isn't it?

Sorry, yesterday you were allready slpeeping and today I was off for a trip.
    You shouldn't go for the options window at all (at least not at the moment).
    The YaST method is a bit difficult to see here because a GUI action is difficult to show here in the forums. That is why others prefere the CLI way, they can show easier what to do.

No I do not quiite understand. Can we do please step by step, because I am missing some information here.
    1) what exactly did you fill in the first window you showed above in post #17?
    2) were there any warnings/error displayed when you clicked all the inish buttons?
    3) did you check if the partition was the mounted by e.g. going to the mountpointg with Dolphin and ee if yoyr files show there?
    These are alls tep I told you and I want of ccourse a fail/success for everyone. Remember I am not in Madurai looking over your shoulder, thus you have to explain everything.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Sorry, yesterday you were allready slpeeping and today I was off for a trip.
    You shouldn't go for the options window at all (at least not at the moment).
    The YaST method is a bit difficult to see here because a GUI action is difficult to show here in the forums. That is why others prefere the CLI way, they can show easier what to do.

No I do not quiite understand. Can we do please step by step, because I am missing some information here.
    1) what exactly did you fill in the first window you showed above in post #17?
    2) were there any warnings/error displayed when you clicked all the inish buttons?
    3) did you check if the partition was the mounted by e.g. going to the mountpointg with Dolphin and ee if yoyr files show there?
    These are alls tep I told you and I want of ccourse a fail/success for everyone. Remember I am not in Madurai looking over your shoulder, thus you have to explain everything.
    answers for your questions Henk

1.i edited the mount point like /home/vicky/softwares(yeahh vicky is my username).i did like this for the other 4 partitions.it selects device id by default i clicked on ok.i did nothing

2.no,no warning or error displayed when i did that

3.yes my files are there i did all the things sucessfully.

Henk please understand me i did all the things successfully but after the restart all the things i did was fall back to default it is asking for my root password to mount partitions.after the restart in mount points i can't see my files(only empty folder are there in home).what should i do?

I do understand you. You did it all correct, and they were mounted and usable. But afttr a rebooot tehy were gone again.

Strange. YaST shouuld have put them in /etc/fstab. but the /etc/fstab you show in post #21 does not show them. And when they are not there they will not be mounted at boot.

We will try to go for Carl's and Glistwan's method then. You can edit /etc/fstab as root from KDE by doing Alt-F2. This will open a small window where you can tpe a command. Type;
    Code:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab
    It will ask for the root password and then open a Kwrite window. That is an editor which I hope you know how to use.

Then add a line at the end with the contents:
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part6   /home/vicky/softwares   ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0
    finish the Kwrite session and reboot. See if it works.
    Henk van Velden

Henk it is not working see the following fstab after i edited it

Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part6   /home/vicky/softwares   ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part8 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part10 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part11 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    i can't mount that partition.now also it is asking me the root password.i can't mount that partition on start up.

1) I asked you to put that line at the end of the file. It is now at the beginning. That is not going to work.

2) I forgot to tell you that the directory /home/vicky/softwares must exist (when you use YaST it will create it, but now we must do it ourselfs). Please create this directory as vicky in a way you normaly create new directories/folders/maps (or how you call them). It must exist and be emty.
    Henk van Velden

Thank you thank you so much Henk it is working but it mounted another partition(some technical mistake).anyway my problem is solved.thanks for helping me guys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast