Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get a GUI with 11.4 LiveCD

Default Can't get a GUI with 11.4 LiveCD

I seem to have a knack for having systems built that OpenSuse doesn't like. I remembered this afternoon why I gave up on 11.x - the 11.4 LiveCD doesn't like my setup, at least in terms of booting into a GUI. I have uploaded two photos I took of the bootup screen, in case the provide information that might be helpful. I am sorry about the shakiness, I have CP and the the 2nd one is harder to read because of that, but it says something about "amd radeon hd 6800 series (chip ID 0x6738) requires KMS" among other things.

Even though I'm really rusty in CLI, I'm happy to give it a go, to get this working, if possible. The two screenshots are
    http://maxqnzs.com/boot1.jpg and
    http://maxqnzs.com/boot4.jpg

Any help that can be given will be gratefully accepted.

FWIW, the 11.4 LiveCD also really didn't like the NVIDIA GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M in my old Acer Aspire 5520 either.
    likhaavat - the occasional musings of an owlish male child

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't get a GUI with 11.4 LiveCD

Try booting the liveCD with the boot code 'nomodeset'. One enters this on the options line in the first boot selection menu (grub menu) that appears when booting openSUSE-11.4. Just start typing 'nomodeset' and it will appear in the options line.

For Radeon HD hardware, that will try to force a boot to X window using the "radeonhd" open source graphic driver instead of the "radeon" open source graphic driver. If that works, then it may be possible later (after an install) to modify your installation's config files to use the 'radeon' graphic driver.

For nVidia hardware, that boot code will try to boot to X window using the "nv" open source graphic driver instead of the "nouveau" open source graphic driver.

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I tried that and initally THOUGHT it had worked, as the Suse bootup screen appeared with a graphical progress bar, instead of the verbose listings. But then it shut back down to a CLI screen, as in this shot:
    http://maxqnzs.com/boot6.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxqnz View Post
    Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I tried that and initally THOUGHT it had worked, as the Suse bootup screen appeared with a graphical progress bar, instead of the verbose listings. But then it shut back down to a CLI screen, as in this shot:
    http://maxqnzs.com/boot6.jpg
    I see 2 possibilities:
    1. There is a known bug in the 'radeon' open source video driver for Radeon HD hardware on openSUSE-11.4 liveCD (fixed in later openSUSE-11.4 updates), and that bug possibly coupled with your radeon HD hardware also not being supported by the 'radeonhd' opensource video driver could cause what you experienced .... Did you try booting and press 'F3' and select the 'safesettings' boot ? That should boot your PC to the X window with the open source FBDEV graphic video driver. Or use the boot code 'x11failsafe'.
    2. your downloaded CD is corrupt! Did you compare the md5sum of the downloaded .iso file against the md5sum posted on the download website ? Were they the same ? Did you burn to a high quality CD (+R or -R) media (not an RW) at the SLOWEST speed your burner will allow ? And did you try running the media check on the liveCD to see if that passes ?

I have to confess to have been lazy and not checked the md5 sum before burning, but when I selected "media check" from the boot menu, the end result was "md5 sum OK". I tried pressing F3 on several reboots, just once the first time, then repeatedly, but never got a 'safesettings' mode, so let the normal boot screen come up and typed in 'x11failsafe' - it booted in verbose style and listed bootmode as x11failsafe, but the result was the same, no GUI, as in this shot. http://maxqnzs.com/boot8.jpg

Could the message that comes up at the very start of the of the boot process after the kernel's loaded be relevant? I took screenshots, but in case they were not easy to read, here it is, transcribed as carefully as possible:

address space collision: host bridge window [mem 0x000c8000 0x000dffff] conflicts with Video ROM [mem 0x000c0000 0x000cf9ff]

Blog Entries

Could the message that comes up at the very start of the of the boot process after the kernel's loaded be relevant? I took screenshots, but in case they were not easy to read, here it is, transcribed as carefully as possible:

address space collision: host bridge window [mem 0x000c8000 0x000dffff] conflicts with Video ROM [mem 0x000c0000 0x000cf9ff]
    Possibly important. I read on one site that this error occurs due to the way later 2.6 kernels enumerate adaptor ROMs. Typical symptoms are computers with multiple NICs not starting all adaptors reliably and issues with multi display/adaptor configurations. There is a kernel bug report here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16497

How many graphic devices in your PC ? Is there both a motherboard graphic device AND a PCI-e graphic device card ?

I read that to fix this issue one can try the boot code pci=nocrs.

So try this boot code:
    Code:
    pci=nocrs
    and if that fails, try:
    Code:
    nomodeset pci=nocrs

I shall check that tomorrow. I am very grateful for all your help. I would LOVE to get this sorted as OpenSuse is my preferred distro, even though I'm typing this in rekonq, using Kubuntu 11.04 LiveCD which didn't hiccup at all with any of my hardware.

I'm not sure how to check if I have more than one graphics device, but here's a list of my PCI devices

I've found the specs for my mobo - I am not sure, but they don't appear to include an integrated graphics component:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67 PRO

Blog Entries

I'm not sure how to check if I have more than one graphics device, but here's a list of my PCI devices
    An easy way to check is type from a command line:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    and if the upper case 'VGA' does not work then try lower case:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep vga -A2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast