Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

Default Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

As I have had some problems using kpagager I've used file asociations to set yast as the default.

When I download an rpm the yast icon bounces around for a while and then dies.

I assume this means I need another set of yast launch instructions. Any ideas.

Suppose I could download to a directory and set it as a repo but would rather just have it launch for rpms as it's quicker.

11.4 KDE 4.6.0

IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT PROBLEMS PLEASE SEARCH FOR MY POSTS.

John

Default Απ: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

Maybe you have problems with yast2. But have you tried to download a *.rpm package using terminal?
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

I suppose I could use a terminal but very much prefer never ever going there and would much prefer to use yast as outlined. I suppose I will have to try the the directory, It seems to have no problems with yum types with just rpms in it.

John

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

Do not be afraid, I use terminal so try to install a program through it.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition

Default Re: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

On 2011-04-25 16:36, ajohnw wrote:

> I assume this means I need another set of yast launch instructions. Any
    > ideas.

yast --help

> IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT PROBLEMS PLEASE SEARCH FOR MY POSTS.

Huh, rather the other way: you explain your problems if you want help.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

No it's not fear it's a matter of principle. I do use a terminal when I need to which is often just to compile code. Very very little else. I've used too many others.

John

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    No it's not fear it's a matter of principle. I do use a terminal when I need to which is often just to compile code. Very very little else. I've used too many others.

John
    I want to ask you a question. If terminal solve you this problem?
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

On search my posts - I added that as I do not want help on the problems with Kpackager. Apart from problems it's not suitable for my needs really.

On yast help thanks but this still means that I need the kde launch .desktop file option to pass yast the rpm when it has downloaded or clicked on. One thing though given that info it looks like yast will still install them. Other .desktop files may give me a clue but as I also need the same sort of info for another app I could do with finding the kde doc on .desktop file and their content.

Sorry I wont be trying the console - no time at the moment and it really is a matter of principle with me. I will do almost anything to avoid using the terminal.

John

Default Re: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

On 2011-04-25 18:36, ajohnw wrote:
    > Sorry I wont be trying the console - no time at the moment and it
    > really is a matter of principle with me. I will do almost anything to
    > avoid using the terminal.

However, to learn the appropriate syntax for yast to install an rpm and
    exit, you need to use the command line till you find out how. I gave you
    the necessary hint, but I will not go further. It is you who has to make
    the work.

So, start a terminal, do your jog, find out, then you can create the
    launcher with that information.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Using YAST as default to install rpm downloads

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    On search my posts - I added that as I do not want help on the problems with Kpackager. Apart from problems it's not suitable for my needs really.

On yast help thanks but this still means that I need the kde launch .desktop file option to pass yast the rpm when it has downloaded or clicked on. One thing though given that info it looks like yast will still install them. Other .desktop files may give me a clue but as I also need the same sort of info for another app I could do with finding the kde doc on .desktop file and their content.

Sorry I wont be trying the console - no time at the moment and it really is a matter of principle with me. I will do almost anything to avoid using the terminal.

John
    Linux is not only graphical interface, it has also terminal and commands. @robin_listas is right. Try with terminal, it is not difficult. With terminal and commands you will learn openSUSE and linux.

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw
    This is not a principle to not use terminal && his commands, but it is a depriving of knowledge.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast