Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

  1. #1

    Default Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    I'm looking for an HDMI-capable TV Tuner card (that preferably works with linux). Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    My suggestions is to do an online product search and including Linux Compatible in the search like below:

    Linux Compatable TV Tuner Cards - Google Search

    Normally, unless you have found a combination TV card Video card (ATI used to have such), the HDMI output will come from your video card, not the tuner card. You can use a DVI to HDM cable adapter. Next, you need to know how the audio will be sent. HDMI can contain audio, but if it comes from the video card, no audio may be present. Last, if you are using built-in audio or an add in sound card, the audio will not be sent through the video card. You may find such a thing, but it will not be that common. I will say that normally, I send my video to the TV directly from the video card using a DVI to HDMI connector and I send the audio directly to my receiver using a optical cable, so the two are never connected together. I have a TV card that can pick up digital TV over the air, but I never got it to work in Linux and since it does work with Windows, I did not try to purchase a new one. I would look to see if there is a cable card solution you could buy as it will provide the same service you are paying for from cable if you use cable.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    My suggestions is to do an online product search and including Linux Compatible in the search like below:

    Linux Compatable TV Tuner Cards - Google Search

    Normally, unless you have found a combination TV card Video card (ATI used to have such), the HDMI output will come from your video card, not the tuner card. You can use a DVI to HDM cable adapter. Next, you need to know how the audio will be sent. HDMI can contain audio, but if it comes from the video card, no audio may be present. Last, if you are using built-in audio or an add in sound card, the audio will not be sent through the video card. You may find such a thing, but it will not be that common. I will say that normally, I send my video to the TV directly from the video card using a DVI to HDMI connector and I send the audio directly to my receiver using a optical cable, so the two are never connected together. I have a TV card that can pick up digital TV over the air, but I never got it to work in Linux and since it does work with Windows, I did not try to purchase a new one. I would look to see if there is a cable card solution you could buy as it will provide the same service you are paying for from cable if you use cable.

    Thank You,
    Thanks, that's VERY helpful!

    I had no idea the HDMI could come from the video card instead.

    If I'm hooking from the cable box to the computer, can I send the HDMI straight to the video card? Do I not need a tv tuner?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Hdmi in cards are very expensive over $1k last I checked. Use firewire.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Thanks, that's VERY helpful!

    I had no idea the HDMI could come from the video card instead.

    If I'm hooking from the cable box to the computer, can I send the HDMI straight to the video card? Do I not need a tv tuner?
    So, if you have a cable box, their is no need to send it through the computer to the TV. Think about it. If you want to watch live TV, do not run it through your PC. So then, what are you using the computer for really? A PVR (Personnel Video Recorder) is the most common answer. You can record anything you want to compatible file formats that can be use on any PC or even DVD player. What I do is use a HDMI switch box. I found a four input model for under $50 US and 3 input model for under $30 US and all with little input switcher remote controls. Trust me, if you want to watch live TV, use the cable box through an HDMI switcher to the TV direcly.

    You can use the cable box to feed both the TV and computer though not every possible connection setup might exist, depending on the box. That is why a cable card setup would be a better, but more expensive choice. I ended up with a dual TV tuner, one for analog TV and one for ATSC outside Digital TV. I put up a digital antenna and can get HD recordings for all local programming and analog from cable for everything else. It is a KWorld Hybrid tuner and it was very cheap and works great, with Windows, but not Linux. It is my PVR and it saves me $16 a month verses a cable company supplied HD recorder. I use the Windows program Beyond TV which is a great bargin. It worked fine with XP and it works fine with Win7. But again, it was not a Linux solution.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    What I do is use a HDMI switch box. I found a four input model for under $50 US and 3 input model for under $30 US and all with little input switcher remote controls. Trust me, if you want to watch live TV, use the cable box through an HDMI switcher to the TV direcly.
    Two questions:
    1. Can you post a link to where I can get this?
    2. Does this enable sending it to both at the same time? Or is it only one at a time?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    You can use the cable box to feed both the TV and computer
    This is what I want to do (well, I think it'd actually feed the computer which would then feed the TV so I could use MythTV to either watch live tv or view my recorded stuff). I want to set up MythTV, but I'd like to be able to do it with HD channels as well as non-HD. MythTV, Open Source DVR

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Here is the HDMI switcher that I use:

    IOGEAR GHDMIS4 Video/audio switch - 4 ports

    As for how to connect a cable box to a TV tuner, the only way really is using a video capture card with monitor ability. Otherwise, the only other way is a cable card setup or doing the way I do. I got a hybrid tuner card as stated before and connect the Digital to an outside antenna and the analog connection to Time Warner Cable. It is hard to say how long the latter connection will continue to work. If your cable box offers RF output at channel 3 or 4 as in the old days, you could connect that to your PC Tuner card as well. At some point, you will need a cable card or switch to just ATSC over the air digital broadcasts entirely.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Here is the HDMI switcher that I use:

    IOGEAR GHDMIS4 Video/audio switch - 4 ports

    As for how to connect a cable box to a TV tuner, the only way really is using a video capture card with monitor ability. Otherwise, the only other way is a cable card setup or doing the way I do. I got a hybrid tuner card as stated before and connect the Digital to an outside antenna and the analog connection to Time Warner Cable. It is hard to say how long the latter connection will continue to work. If your cable box offers RF output at channel 3 or 4 as in the old days, you could connect that to your PC Tuner card as well. At some point, you will need a cable card or switch to just ATSC over the air digital broadcasts entirely.

    Thank You,
    Why can't I connect it the same way I do the TV? Or is that because then the MythTV can't control the cable box?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Why can't I connect it the same way I do the TV? Or is that because then the MythTV can't control the cable box?
    For the PVR function to work, you need to be able to select the channel you want to record from your computer. If you can't select the channel from your PC, then it will not be of much value to you no matter what TV program software you are running on your PC.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommendation for HDMI TV Tuner card?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    For the PVR function to work, you need to be able to select the channel you want to record from your computer. If you can't select the channel from your PC, then it will not be of much value to you no matter what TV program software you are running on your PC.

    Thank You,
    Ah, gotcha. One last question on your setup: are you able to record all the HD channels? Or only the network ones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •