Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering ~ ~ Arch or SUSE Tumbleweed ~ ~

Default Considering ~ ~ Arch or SUSE Tumbleweed ~ ~

Hi I've been using openSUSE for 2 years and tired to reformat my laptop every 9mths,looking for some distro that going rolling update,that everything in bleeding edge.
    Found this Tumbleweed interesting,might be the one I'm looking for,kind like Arch Linux,now thinking to switch to Arch.
    Any suggestion? Should I take SUSE Tumbleweed or Arch?
    My laptop is Dell Latitude D620~Intel Core2Duo T5500 1.66Ghz~Intel 945GM integrated graphic~2GB DDR667 RAM.
    Now with openSUSE 11.4 KDE x86-64,I got my wireless Broadcom 4311 work with b43-firmware,would it be a problem if I use Tumbleweed?
    Dell Latitude D620~Intel Core2Duo T2300 1.66GHz~Intel 945GM~DDR2 667 2GB~openSUSE 12.1 KDE x86.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering ~ ~ Arch or SUSE Tumbleweed ~ ~

Hi, the b43 stuff is available for Tumbleweed see below:

Code:
    john@tumbleweed114:~> zypper se -s b43
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Name               | Type       | Version              | Arch   | Repository       
    --+--------------------+------------+----------------------+--------+------------------
      | b43-firmware       | package    | 4.174.64.19-3.pm.3.1 | noarch | TumbleweedPackman
      | b43-firmware       | srcpackage | 4.174.64.19-3.pm.3.1 | noarch | TumbleweedPackman
      | b43-fwcutter       | package    | 012-9.1              | x86_64 | openSUSE-11.4-Oss
      | b43-fwcutter       | package    | 012-9.1              | i586   | openSUSE-11.4-Oss
      | b43legacy-firmware | package    | 3.130.20.0-2.pm.2.1  | noarch | TumbleweedPackman
      | b43legacy-firmware | srcpackage | 3.130.20.0-2.pm.2.1  | noarch | TumbleweedPackman
    You asked:
    Any suggestion? Should I take SUSE Tumbleweed or Arch?
    SUSE Tumbleweed
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Thanks bro,I'm in.
    Dell Latitude D620~Intel Core2Duo T2300 1.66GHz~Intel 945GM~DDR2 667 2GB~openSUSE 12.1 KDE x86.

Just upgraded everything to Tumbleweed,so far so good,glad that those 'stressful' conflict solution during upgrade didn't kill me
    Well the first thing I found after this upgrade is better handling of KDE,and the file transfer speed boost,with usb drive.
    Great job openSUSE & Tumbleweed developer

AFAIK Arch Linux is very different from OpenSUSE.

The "Arch Way" for example prohibits making beginner-friendly configuration tools like YaST.
    They will try to make everything as simple and clean as it can be, but WITHOUT addidional "bloated and buggy" software.
    That means you need to know linux configuration files quite good, no gui and automated one click tools there.
    This distro is therefore not recommended for beginners, but since you have been using Linux for at least 2 years it may be a way to go.

I like this way of thinking, but since its sometimes much simpler just to use YaST and not bother, i like to have choice that OpenSuSE gives.

I think that Arch has less support than OpenSuSE from software developers (just the way OpenSuSE has less support than Ubuntu and its sometimes easier to find ubuntu deb than suse rpm).

On the other hand its very mature rolling distro. Tumbleweed still can make some problems (new kernel for example broke bluetooth support for me, i got to freeze my kernel at 2.6.38). Im sticking to SuSE Tumbleweed though, im very pleased with it after using windows exclusively for almost 15 years.

And GNOME2 reminds me Amiga Workbench days a bit . Im free from M$ again and still ... i can play windows games under wine ... just wonderful

The only thing im very afraid is gnome 3. I dont like it at all. But it its distro-independent problem :/

I've been using arch for about 4 years. And since the release of 11.4 I'm using Tumbleweed as well. IMHO arch is quite beginner friendly because of its wiki, there is almost everything you need to know to properly set up your desktop, but it takes time e.g. setting up KDE desktop takes about 2 hours (without the time to download the packages).
    But arch has at least two advantages:
    1) arch has nvidia driver in one of the repositories
    2) arch has AUR (Arch Linux User Repository) where is a lot of PKGBUILDs (which are similar to spec files in RPM) so even if the package you need is not in repositories and you find it in AUR you can easily build the package using makepkg

And one truly beautiful thing about arch is that everything you install is package e.g. I want to install some package which is available only in binary form, so I download it write simple PKGBUILD and run makepkg... and the result is package which I can install with pacman (arch's package manager)... which is IMHO far better than running sh NVIDIA... and poor zypper has no idea what you installed...

But other than that I think Tumbleweed is good choice.

Hi,

I think it should be emphasised that Tumbleweed is not a true rolling distribution. It is a set of repositories (if you include Packman) which provide more recent and regular updates to the underlying openSUSE distribution.

At release time you still need up upgrade your system (i.e. change repositories and zypper dup) and, more importantly, there are some updates that don't go into Tumbleweed because changed library dependencies would conflict with the underlying distribution libraries.

I really wish that people would stop calling Tumbleweed a "rolling diatribution" it is not - at least in comparison to the likes of Arch and Gentoo.

If you really want a rolling distribution (install once and continually update) then Tumbleweed doesn't technically qualify.

N.B: I have used Gentoo and Arch, for 4 years and 2 years respectively, so I feel adequately qualified to comment on this inaccuracy.

Regards,
    Neil Darlow
    Registered Linux user #122512. Desktop Linux user for 17 years.
    Asus Eee 900: 900MHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 12GB SSD, 915GM, openSUSE-current+Tumbleweed
    Home-built Desktop: Athlon II X2 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB SATA, GeForce G210, openSUSE-12.1-x86_64, KDE-4.7.2

Blog Entries

@neildarlow is right. Tumbleweed is not a rolling distro. It was meant for those that do want to stay up to date, yet don't want the experimental status Factory has.

For those who are looking for long term support, there's also the openSUSE Evergreen project, don't know much about it, but I know it's there.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tm3da View Post
    And one truly beautiful thing about arch is that everything you install is package e.g. I want to install some package which is available only in binary form, so I download it write simple PKGBUILD and run makepkg... and the result is package which I can install with pacman (arch's package manager)...
    I don't use arch so I can not comment on the full functionality of this PKGBUILD you refer to. But I do note it is often EASY for the average openSUSE user to rebuild an rpm for tumbleweed, as long as the basic library/dependency references have not changed from an existing rpm spec file.

One simply downloads (in the case of 11.4 tumbleweed) the openSUSE application.src.rpm file from a previous openSUSE build and run:
    Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild application.src.rpm
    and that will advise of any missing dependencies. Solve the missing dependencies, and run again:
    Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild application.src.rpm
    and if successful it will create an rpm that one can then install with the openSUSE package manager zypper.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neildarlow View Post
    Hi,

I think it should be emphasised that Tumbleweed is not a true rolling distribution. It is a set of repositories (if you include Packman) which provide more recent and regular updates to the underlying openSUSE distribution.

At release time you still need up upgrade your system (i.e. change repositories and zypper dup) and, more importantly, there are some updates that don't go into Tumbleweed because changed library dependencies would conflict with the underlying distribution libraries.

I really wish that people would stop calling Tumbleweed a "rolling diatribution" it is not - at least in comparison to the likes of Arch and Gentoo.

If you really want a rolling distribution (install once and continually update) then Tumbleweed doesn't technically qualify.

N.B: I have used Gentoo and Arch, for 4 years and 2 years respectively, so I feel adequately qualified to comment on this inaccuracy.

Regards,
    Neil Darlow
    You've got a good point there. We could say this about Tumbleweed if we wanted to be more accurate:

openSUSE is a periodically updated distro
    SUSE Tumbleweed is a continuously updated distro

How about that? Closer to the facts?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast