Thread: WebCam - Works in all distros but SUSE

Default WebCam - Works in all distros but SUSE

I have an old web cam Phillips SPC 600NC - This is supposed to be supported in the gspca Driver.
    It works in all other linux Distro's but Suse - I am currently running Suse 11.4 - When I plug the camera in - the dmesg is
    [48246.444056] usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0471, idProduct=0327
    [48246.444059] usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
    [48246.444062] usb 4-1: Product: USB camera
    [48246.447123] gspca: probing 0471:0327
    [48246.452055] sonixj: Sonix chip id: 11
    [48246.476055] sonixj: Unknown sensor 0000 - forced to mi0360
    [48246.478117] input: sonixj as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.1/usb4/4-1/input/input8
    [48246.478224] gspca: video0 created
    Any Idea's - I know the video is working because I have know problems with other webcam

Blog Entries

Default Re: WebCam - Works in all distros but SUSE

Quote Originally Posted by rayrudz View Post
    I have an old web cam Phillips SPC 600NC - This is supposed to be supported in the gspca Driver.
    It works in all other linux Distro's but Suse - I am currently running Suse 11.4 - When I plug the camera in - the dmesg is
    [48246.444056] usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0471, idProduct=0327
    [48246.478224] gspca: video0 created
    Any Idea's - I know the video is working because I have know problems with other webcam
    If gspca driver then there is a wiki on this !

The gspca is included in the kernel. Take a note of this webpage: HCL:Web cameras - openSUSE

Some applications still don't work very well together with the gspca drivers, a workaround is to preload a libv4l-compat library:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <application>
    before starting the respective application, i.e. for kopete you would type:
    Code:
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so kopete
    This compat-library can be found in the package "libv4l", which is available from OSS-Repo or (recommended) from Packman. (see - Additional YaST Package Repositories)

If you have a 64 bit system, you preload the library with:
    Code:
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <application>
    If you want to run a 32 bit application (i.e. skype) on a 64 bit system, you first need to install "libv4l-32bit" (only available in the Packman repository) and run the preload-command used for 32 bit.

If this works for you, you can add the LD_PRELOAD-command to the startup command of your menu entry/desktop shortcut via menu editor or with right-clicking the desktop icon => properties => application => command respectively.

Thanks - But I tried that before I posted - This camera is listed a supported by GSPCA Driver - But not with SUSE 11.4 - Could this be a bug that needs corrected ?

Blog Entries

I just googled this line (from your dmesg output)

Code:
    sonixj: Unknown sensor 0000 - forced to mi0360
    There seem to be a lot of problems across several distros with this Philips device. Several bug reports on this topic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayrudz View Post
    This camera is listed a supported by GSPCA Driver
    Typically webcams are inexpensive. And I've never been happy with webcams that use the gspca driver. I gave away the ones myself had (and our family had) to MS-Windows users. And I replaced them with UVC compatible webcams. UVC is becoming the "defacto" webcam standard for all operating systems, and not just GNU/Linux.

If you have any choice in the matter, my recommendation is to dump your gspaca device for a UVC compatible webcam. For example, the Logitech Webcam C210 (which I purchased for my sister) is UVC compatible and is very inexpensive.

Blog Entries

I agree with oldcpu's practical advice here.

If you would really like to try to get this to work though, then lets have a look at what gspca modules are loaded when you plug in your Philips webcam

Code:
    lsmod |grep gspca
    AFAIU, for your webcam, the 'gspca_sonixj' module should be loaded. If its not loaded, maybe you could try removing any existing 'gspca_***' module(s) with 'modprobe -r <name of module>', then manually load the 'gspca_sonixj' module with

Code:
    modprobe gspca_sonixj
    If you can coax it to work manually, then it should be possible to automate with a suitable udev rule.

Thanks for the suggestions. IT's not that important - It was just annoying me that the stupid thing worked in ubuntu, mepis, mint and other distro's and I couldn't get it to work in SUSE - (the distro I use daily).
    By the way my lsmod mod returns the proper Driver

Penguin:~ # lsmod |grep gspca
    gspca_sonixj 29536 0
    gspca_main 28942 1 gspca_sonixj
    videodev 81448 1 gspca_main
    Penguin:~ #

I'll just chalk this one up as a SUSE bug. Thanks again all