Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: copyright, IP & openSUSE

  1. #1

    Default copyright, IP & openSUSE

    I believe that the USA is in the process of passing a law that would allow sites that aid the infringing of copyright & IP to be filtered out by search engines, ISPs, DNS, etc. I believe that it also includes a provision to ban financial transactions with such sites. While in theory the law would apply in the USA, the USA could unilaterally apply it world wide.

    While I think that the main target it multimedia piracy, ip protection seems to be included.

    Ignoring the possibility trolls claiming bizarre patents such as displaying lizards during boot, what would be the likely affect on openSUSE of the US applying the US law world wide? While I believe that users can purchase licensed applications to process a lot of multimedia, I do not know what other applications may be affected. I assume that the core openSUSE is not affected as it has been US based and it seems to have been careful about licensing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,611

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    Since being taken over by Novell, SUSE has always complied with US law. However, there are no financial transactions involved in distributing openSUSE and openSUSE formally abandoned licensing in the conventional sense some years ago; so it is difficult to envisage that openSUSE's current operations would be significantly affected.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    On 05/28/2011 10:06 AM, john hudson wrote:
    >
    > it is difficult to envisage that openSUSE's
    > current operations would be significantly affected.


    anyway, despite their belief otherwise the USA neither owns nor controls
    The Internet beyond their political borders..

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    vindevienne wrote:
    > While in theory
    > the law would apply in the USA, the USA could unilaterally apply it
    > world wide.
    >

    That is completely ridiculous, there is neither a technical nor a legal
    possibility to do this.

    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

  5. #5

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_helm View Post
    That is completely ridiculous, there is neither a technical nor a legal possibility to do this.
    This view is too simple, one may say: it is wrong. In fact,
    - most important firms w. r. t. internet (Google, Microsoft, ... one may even include the FSF here) have their location in the USA and are thus under the control of this government.
    - most non-US firms worldwide in this field have some part of their business also in the USA and do not want to lose it. Why did even SuSE before 2004 follow the US laws so strictly although it was a German company. (Why was it impossible to have a da** mp3 encoder in the repository?)
    - the USA have control over the top level of the world's DNS servers. This is the most direct control over the world-wide internet in US hand.

    So, in a strict sense you are right (e. g. the internet is theoretically usable without DNS), practically you are wrong.

    With best wishes
    Tronar

    P.S. However, as long as vindevienne only "believes" something like this to happen, we should not be worried too much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    On 2011-05-28 13:16, DenverD wrote:

    > anyway, despite their belief otherwise the USA neither owns nor controls
    > The Internet beyond their political borders..


    They would force google to comply (the search engine), and that could be
    damaging.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    Tronar wrote:

    >
    > martin_helm;2345912 Wrote:
    >> That is completely ridiculous, there is neither a technical nor a legal
    >> possibility to do this.This view is too simple, one may say: it is wrong.
    >> In fact,

    > - most important firms w. r. t. internet (Google, Microsoft, ... one
    > may even include the FSF here) have their location in the USA and are
    > thus under the control of this government.

    Wrong, all this companies are under the control of EVERY government in
    whichs area they want to make money, even Microsoft has to comply to
    european regulations (whenever they did not they were forced to and followed
    the rules after paying a lot of money).

    > - most non-US firms worldwide in this field have some part of their
    > business also in the USA and do not want to lose it. Why did even SuSE
    > before 2004 follow the US laws so strictly although it was a German
    > company. (Why was it impossible to have a da** mp3 encoder in the
    > repository?)

    And vice versa every US company wanting to make money in any area outside
    the USA has strictly to comply to the rules of the area in question, be it
    europe or anything else, otherwise they are out of business.

    > - the USA have control over the top level of the world's DNS servers.
    > This is the most direct control over the world-wide internet in US
    > hand.

    Which is historical, since if they abuse that fact, the top level DNS will
    be at other places or do you think that is a monopoly it is just a question
    of money to quickly set some up.

    >
    > So, in a strict sense you are right (e. g. the internet is
    > theoretically usable without DNS), practically you are wrong.
    >

    That is also just FUD, because DNS does not disappear just because the US
    controls some servers which can easily replaced elsewhere.

    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    On 05/28/2011 03:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    > They would force google to comply (the search engine), and that could be
    > damaging.


    afaik google has server centers all over earth...

    and i think the USA has no means to control or direct how any of those
    are operated...instead, they must follow local laws..

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    On 2011-05-28 16:50, DenverD wrote:
    > On 05/28/2011 03:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >
    >> They would force google to comply (the search engine), and that could be
    >> damaging.

    >
    > afaik google has server centers all over earth...
    >
    > and i think the USA has no means to control or direct how any of those are
    > operated...instead, they must follow local laws..


    There is hope, then :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: copyright, IP & openSUSE

    I believe that if a global bank operates in the US then it must in certain cases apply US law globally or stop trading in the US. As a result I believe that european citizens in european counties have had their bank accounts closed by global but non-US banks for activities outside US that are not illegal for anyone but US citizens and businesses. This is because the bank itself is not allowed by the US law to service that type of transaction. Stopping access to paypal, visa, mastercard, bank accounts could be done if banning financial transactions became law. Also I suspect that filtering out IP addresses in the US would have a significant affect. How many hosting organizations would risk having no visibility in the US just to support a site that infringed some possibly dubious US patent. It is possible that the EU and separately within it the UK, are also looking at similar copyright/patent web filtering

    There is the great firewall of China and other countries have similar systems. It will not be long before western countries have their own great firewalls. In the UK there is currently a clash between the courts banning the publication of things and the same things being splashed all over twitter. Repeated challenges to the legal system will result in changes to how the internet is controlled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •