Thread: Multithreading and dual channel memory

Default Multithreading and dual channel memory

Until now I have been running a single threaded cpu at single channel speed but yesterday I bought a 3.2 gig p4 for 20 bucks. It has hyperthreading and an 800 mhz fsb which supports dual channel speeds on the chipset.

It hasn't arrived yet so I haven't put it in the system but what I would like to know is whether 11.4 work properly with these changes, and will it detect and implement them properly or will I need to reinstall it?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Multithreading and dual channel memory

Until now I have been running a single threaded cpu at single channel speed but yesterday I bought a 3.2 gig p4 for 20 bucks. It has hyperthreading and an 800 mhz fsb which supports dual channel speeds on the chipset.

It hasn't arrived yet so I haven't put it in the system but what I would like to know is whether 11.4 work properly with these changes, and will it detect and implement them properly or will I need to reinstall it?
    The Linux kernel and thus openSUSE will automatically adjust to any change in the CPU type, core count and Intel Hyper-threading (which doubles the actual core count). Anytime you make such a motherboard change, be sure to:

1. Disconnect Power Plug From Wall
    2. Make Sure you are grounded to the computer metal case
    3. Set the CMOS clear/reset before installing the new CPU
    4. Use new thermal compound between CPU and fan. Consider using a new CPU fan
    5. Upon Power Up, go into BIOS setup and Load Optimized Defaults
    6. Change any default back to personnel settings if required
    7. Start openSUSE and go into "My Computer" and see your new core count.

Use the opportunity to clean your computer case internals if it has been a while since it was cleaned. With the case side or top removed, power up the computer carefully and examine every case and CPU fan to make sure they are working. Please be prepared for the CPU swap out before taking your computer down. Even back up important data before you begin. Always consult the motherboard manufacturer to make sure the new CPU is really supported.

Good Luck.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Multithreading and dual channel memory

O.K. Thanks for the information and the tips. I assume that there is no reason it would have any issues with the new dual channel memory configuration I will be using as well then.

Sure is nice to be back in openSUSE again.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Multithreading and dual channel memory

O.K. Thanks for the information and the tips. I assume that there is no reason it would have any issues with the new dual channel memory configuration I will be using as well then.

Dual channel memory is just a way to speed up the CPU memory reads and writes by alternating between the two memory channels (providing a higher effective memory speed) to speed up the CPU and it is transparent to the Operating system though it is possible for software to determine and thus see how fast the memory is operating. Anything that speeds up the CPU will benefit the Linux kernel and thus openSUSE. I guess the i7 triple channel LGA 1136 provides the fastest memory access, but dual memory is still the most common to see. You should be just fine with your memory setup.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Swinyard View Post

You didn't say much about the memory configuration but for hyperthreading your memory must be installed in identical pairs. Best to have them by the same manufacturer as well. Good luck.
    " It wouldn't dare! " - Shaggyman

Quote Originally Posted by difficilus View Post
    You didn't say much about the memory configuration but for hyperthreading your memory must be installed in identical pairs. Best to have them by the same manufacturer as well. Good luck.
    Surely, you must mean for operation in dual-channel rather than hyper-threading?