Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    318

    Default a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    hi to all.in software.opensuse.org site if we serch for a software the result will be like the following

    vlc
    KDE:Unstablelayground/openSUSE_11.4_KDE_Distro_Factory
    This is the stripped version of the VLC media Player. VLC media player
    is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video

    [more]
    1-Click Install
    Manual Package Download
    Go to OBS Project
    i586 vlc-1.1.6.99-1.11.i586.rpm
    src vlc-1.1.6.99-1.11.src.rpm
    x86_64 vlc-1.1.6.99-1.11.x86_64.rpm



    if i like to keep the setup(rpm) of the software which i should chose the above?

  2. #2

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    if you want source code dl the src rpm then compile it to make an executable.
    if you have a 64bit version of OpenSUSE download the x86_64 rpm to install a pre-built executable
    if you have a 32bit version of OpenSUSE download the i586 rpm to intstall a pre-built executable

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    On 2011-05-26 12:06, vike4 wrote:
    > if i like to keep the setup(rpm) of the software which i should chose
    > the above?


    What do you mean? :-?

    All the answers of the search are for RPMs.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    Quote Originally Posted by ed_v View Post
    if you want source code dl the src rpm then compile it to make an executable.
    if you have a 64bit version of OpenSUSE download the x86_64 rpm to install a pre-built executable
    if you have a 32bit version of OpenSUSE download the i586 rpm to intstall a pre-built executable
    hi i alredy try the i586 for my 32bit it is working for some softwares only.eg:chromium

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2011-05-26 12:06, vike4 wrote:
    > if i like to keep the setup(rpm) of the software which i should chose
    > the above?


    What do you mean? :-?

    All the answers of the search are for RPMs.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

    rpm okay i mean that rpm can be used for the full software installation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    On 05/26/2011 12:06 PM, vike4 wrote:
    >
    > Unstablelayground... Factory


    unless you KNOW what you are doing it is very risky to install anything
    from anywhere with these words: Unstable, Factory, Playground or
    Tumbleweed..

    i HIGHLY recommend you have only these four repos enabled: oss, non-oss,
    update and packman....and, then use YaST Software Management to search
    for and install VLC, and all your other needs..

    sure, you can add a lot of other repos, but that will often lead to
    conflict needing resolution which a new to openSUSE user will have
    difficulty with...

    suggestion: read the paragraph here which begins with "IMPORTANT",
    http://tinyurl.com/33qc9vu

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    @DenverD my question is that rpm packages for offline install.anyway thanks for your information.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,798

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    Quote Originally Posted by vike4 View Post
    @DenverD my question is that rpm packages for offline install.anyway thanks for your information.
    But as DenverD says, the RPM on Packman is imho far saver to download then on from a Playground one.

    Poke around in your Packman mirror. E.g. I found http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUS...m.9.1.i586.rpm
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    i think he wants to dl all the dependencies for vlc AND vlc so he can distribute vlc to other pc's without dl'ing over and over again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,798

    Default Re: a doubt about software.opensuse.org

    Quote Originally Posted by ed_v View Post
    i think he wants to dl all the dependencies for vlc AND vlc so he can distribute vlc to other pc's without dl'ing over and over again.
    That is what I understand, but it is still better to do that from Packman then from Playground/Unstable.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •