Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

  1. #1

    Default Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Hey everyone,

    Im having problems booting Opensuse 11.4. Everytime i try and boot the live cd. I get the menu choosing what i want to do and when i click on try live cd or something. I goes to the opensuse logo with that boot bar and then all i get is the snowy screen. And i cant do anything. Can anyone help please?


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,136
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by crash-overr1de View Post
    Im having problems booting Opensuse 11.4. Everytime i try and boot the live cd. I get the menu choosing what i want to do and when i click on try live cd or something. I goes to the opensuse logo with that boot bar and then all i get is the snowy screen. And i cant do anything. Can anyone help please?
    You could also try the boot code 'nomodeset' and if that does not work try the boot code 'x11failsafe', or try the menu item (under F3 I think) 'safe settings' .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ελλάδα(Αθήνα)-Россия (г. Красноярск)
    Posts
    1,711

    Default Απ: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Sorry but I can not understand your problem very clearly. Could you explain us what is wrong, I understand that you have problem with live cd on booting, could you give us more information??
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

  4. #4

    Default Re: Απ: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Im having problems booting Opensuse 11.4. The screen goes all misty/snowy and thats all it does. But the person who replied earlier said to put those commands in at boot. I tried the failsafe menu under F3 and that didnt work. i type in 'Nomodeset' and that seams to sort the problem out. But whats causing this problem? Also in KDE theres no battery icon in the task bar. And the mouse isnt working correctly either. But they work fine in GNOME.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,136
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Απ: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by crash-overr1de View Post
    I tried the failsafe menu under F3 and that didnt work. i type in 'Nomodeset' and that seams to sort the problem out. But whats causing this problem?
    Glad to read that nomodeset works. Using that boot code disables modesetting, and its use is mentioned in the openSUSE-11.4 release notes.

    To be more specific I would need to know more about the graphic hardware on your PC. Can you please type in a terminal/konsole the command:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A3
    and post here the output you get from that command .... ie locate in the output from the /sbin/lspci command the line with the word "VGA" in the line. And then copy that line and the following 3 lines and post that content here in your post/reply to this post.

    That will tell us exactly what graphics your PC has and hopefully enable us to answer your question "whats causing the problem".

    I confess I am surprised that the 'failsafe' menu under F3 did not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by crash-overr1de View Post
    Also in KDE theres no battery icon in the task bar. And the mouse isnt working correctly either. But they work fine in GNOME.
    I recommend you start a new help thread on the question of "battery icon missing from task bar".

  6. #6

    Default Re: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Here is the reply i got from that command:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series [1002:95c4]
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0254]
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx Series] [1002:aa28]
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0254]
    My graphics card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,136
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by crash-overr1de View Post
    Here is the reply i got from that command:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series [1002:95c4]                                                                           
            Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0254]
    OK, thanks.

    Unfortunately the command I asked you to run, in this case, did not indicate the video driver in use, but my guess (based on my having a PC with an AMD Radeon HD 3450 graphics) is that the liveCD, with the 'nomodeset' boot code, booted to the 'radeonhd' driver. I think if when running the liveCD, you were to look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log file you would observe that the 'radeonhd' driver was loaded.

    I wrote a bug report on openSUSE-11.4 in this case, where it fails to boot without 'nomodeset' . This boot (without requiring 'nomodeset' ) worked in openSUSE-11.3 and in 11.4 right up to RC1 where a regression was introduced.

    While I have not installed openSUSE-11.4 on my laptop (with the Radeon HD 3450) I am confident such an install would graphically work with the nomodeset boot code. After installation, I suspect one would still need to use the 'nomodeset' boot code, until one did one of two recommended things:

    1. edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file, removing the " # " in front of the line : Driver "radeon" . Doing so would force the superior (to radeonhd) open source radeon driver to load with the 'nomodeset' boot code. One could then permanently add 'nomodeset' to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file being very precise to insert that code in the correct location , OR
    2. install the proprietary AMD Catalyst (fglrx) video graphic driver. There are guides that one can be pointed to which describe a number of different ways to do this.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Hey,

    sorry for the late reply. I will more likely go for installing the catalyst control centre. Can i ask? How come Opensuse doesent have as much software in the add/remove programs and in repository?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,136
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by crash-overr1de View Post
    Hey,

    sorry for the late reply. I will more likely go for installing the catalyst control centre. Can i ask? How come Opensuse doesent have as much software in the add/remove programs and in repository?
    I concede I do not understand your repository comment. I confess the comment leads me to believe you need to learn more as to how repositories are setup on openSUSE, as there is a LOT of software available in a massive number of different repositories. So much in fact I am on record recommending that users significantly reduce their repositories to only OSS, Non-OSS, and Update (the 3 official repositories) and Packman (the largest 3rd party repository) and to no others (nominally).

    So you will need to explain your question about repositories further in order for me to understand it - because I do not.

    Now since the AMD proprietary Catalyst driver is proprietary and NOT free (as per the Free Software Foundation definition of "free" ) you will NOT find it in an official openSUSE repository. Note the "open" in openSUSE.

    In the case of the AMD proprietary Catalyst driver, one method of installing that driver (and there are multiple different ways to install the driver) is to add a custom AMD proprietary graphic driver repository for openSUSE. That is NOT an official openSUSE repository, because it is NOT consistent with the openSUSE packaging philosophy of mostly free open source software.

    There is a link with guidance here for installing the proprietary AMD Catalyst driver via different methods: SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

    Note also this URL on the 6th thing to try in this page SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE where it notes it may also be necessary to run "yast" (you can run yast in text mode with root permissions if X window not available) and navigate to yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD and change it to "yes". This takes a minute or two to save once changed is submitted. IMHO that is best done BEFORE one installs/builds the proprietary catalyst driver.

    There is a repository method mentioned there in the link I quoted, but I confess I do not use that method. Instead I use the 'manual' method (which once upon a time was called "the hardway (which is not hard) " but the oxymoron nature of that decription lead it to be more accurately called the 'manual' method): SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE - building FGLRX manually

  10. #10

    Default Re: Opensuse 11.4 boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I concede I do not understand your repository comment. I confess the comment leads me to believe you need to learn more as to how repositories are setup on openSUSE, as there is a LOT of software available in a massive number of different repositories. So much in fact I am on record recommending that users significantly reduce their repositories to only OSS, Non-OSS, and Update (the 3 official repositories) and Packman (the largest 3rd party repository) and to no others (nominally).

    So you will need to explain your question about repositories further in order for me to understand it - because I do not.

    Now since the AMD proprietary Catalyst driver is proprietary and NOT free (as per the Free Software Foundation definition of "free" ) you will NOT find it in an official openSUSE repository. Note the "open" in openSUSE.

    In the case of the AMD proprietary Catalyst driver, one method of installing that driver (and there are multiple different ways to install the driver) is to add a custom AMD proprietary graphic driver repository for openSUSE. That is NOT an official openSUSE repository, because it is NOT consistent with the openSUSE packaging philosophy of mostly free open source software.

    There is a link with guidance here for installing the proprietary AMD Catalyst driver via different methods: SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

    Note also this URL on the 6th thing to try in this page SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE where it notes it may also be necessary to run "yast" (you can run yast in text mode with root permissions if X window not available) and navigate to yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD and change it to "yes". This takes a minute or two to save once changed is submitted. IMHO that is best done BEFORE one installs/builds the proprietary catalyst driver.

    There is a repository method mentioned there in the link I quoted, but I confess I do not use that method. Instead I use the 'manual' method (which once upon a time was called "the hardway (which is not hard) " but the oxymoron nature of that decription lead it to be more accurately called the 'manual' method): SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE - building FGLRX manually


    Thanks for that, i will give it ago. How do you enable more software in the repository? Because there doesent seam to be much software in it. Can i ask, which do you use GNOME or KDE?

    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •