Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Linux Kernel Version could be 3.0 (or 2.8) and could be out by this July 2011!

Blog Entries

Smile Next Linux Kernel Version could be 3.0 (or 2.8) and could be out by this July 2011!

Well, if you have not seen this, it seems that there is a chance the next kernel number might jump to 2.8 or even 3.0. Here some articles you might want to read:

Linux 3.0 could be out in July - The H Open Source: News and Features

[Phoronix] The End Of The Road For Linux 2.6 Looks Likely

[Phoronix] Linus Talks Of Linux 2.8 Or Linux 3.0; Ending Linux 2.6

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Next Linux Kernel Version could be 3.0 (or 2.8) and could be out by this July 2011!

from kernel archieves
    mainline: 3.0-rc1 2011-05-30 [Full Source] [Patch] [View Patch]
    [Gitweb] [Changelog]
    Dale
    Computer ntel Next Unit of Computing Kit, Black/Grey BOXDCCP847DYE
    Processor intel celeron 847 @ 1.1 GHz
    Video intel sandybridge mobile

Default Re : Re: Next Linux Kernel Version could be 3.0 (or 2.8) and could be out by this July 2011!

Yep,

it seems the change is already done on the GIT of Linus. So we're heading for a 3.0 release.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Next Linux Kernel Version could be 3.0 (or 2.8) and could be out by this July 2011!

Wow, what a change. I never thought I might see such a thing, but there it is (Kernel 3.0-rc1), http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern....0-rc1.tar.bz2 for everyone to download. Thanks for the heads up dale14846. I do wonder what such a radical kernel version change will do for the many things that might check for the actual kernel version? I guess that we will see.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Next Linux Kernel Version could be 3.0 (or 2.8) and could be out by this July 2011!

Well I downloaded and compiled kernel 3.0, but the most recent nVIDIA driver (and even latest beta) complained that it was not version 2.6, so here we go. I have no idea what else may need an upgrade to use kernel 3.0, just due to the imbedded kernel version. It will kind of be like the year 2000 all over again.

Thank You,

Default Re: Next Linux Kernel Version could be 3.0 (or 2.8) and could be out by this July 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Well I downloaded and compiled kernel 3.0, but the most recent nVIDIA driver (and even latest beta) complained that it was not version 2.6, so here we go. I have no idea what else may need an upgrade to use kernel 3.0, just due to the imbedded kernel version. It will kind of be like the year 2000 all over again.

Thank You,
    Kernel 3.0, Gnome 3 .... and a certain amount of synchronicity! There will be more "kernel version" hiccups, and it makes we wonder if the first 3.0 (-rc1?) might be a "rabbit" (or ... a "bogey" or "buffalo") to help flush out these little things waiting in the field.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.2 x64 + Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Windows 7

Test:: openSUSE 15.3, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

Here it is for you brave souls Index of /repositories/Kernel:/linux-next/standard

I tried it for a few minuts but all my browsers thought I was using a proxy so switched back
    faster boot no time for coffee anymore.
    Dale

Blog Entries

Smile Kernel 3.0 Source Code now Missing in Action!

Well I noticed just today that the mainline at kernel.org is alleged to be kernel 3.0-rc2 yet, no full source code exists for you to download for rc1 or rc2. I did get the source for rc1 when it was online, but now it is all gone. Still no nVIDIA driver I can find that claims to load with kernel 3.0-rc1 either.

So does anyone know what is going on with the lack of source being posted online for kernel 3.0 at kernel.org?

Thank You,

Default Re: Kernel 3.0 Source Code now Missing in Action!

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Well I noticed just today that the mainline at kernel.org is alleged to be kernel 3.0-rc2 yet, no full source code exists for you to download for rc1 or rc2. I did get the source for rc1 when it was online, but now it is all gone. Still no nVIDIA driver I can find that claims to load with kernel 3.0-rc1 either.

So does anyone know what is going on with the lack of source being posted online for kernel 3.0 at kernel.org?

Thank You,
    Index of /repositories/Kernel:/linux-next/standard/src
    Nvidia Installer HOWTO for openSUSE users
    Dale

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Kernel 3.0 Source Code now Missing in Action!

Dale that is the source code to rc1 which I did already download and I know how to install the nVIDIA driver the hard way, but even the latest beta does not like the kernel 3.0 revision number and will not install.

Thank You,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast