Boot panic

Hi, i am not sure if this is the right place, but i post it anyway.

I upgraded to the Nvidia drivers and since, i can’t boot into OpenSUSE anymore.
Normal boot ends with after the first couple lines of the boot, and resets.
If i try to boot with failsafe the same happens.
I even tried to use the DVD and do a rescue, it crashes.
Right now i only can boot into WindowsXP. ???

My hardware seems ok, i assume but i checked my CPU with the intel app and its checked out ok.
I did this, since i got also a crash after boot where i seen a line with CPU 1 where it stopped.

Right now i will try to install perhaps 32bit OpenSUSE and at least recover my datas.

p.s. i run 11.4 x64 KDE.

My question would be, if anyone experienced something similar or if thats been caused by the graphicscard. Altought i would assume that with failsafe there would be not NVidia drivers loaded. I am running out of options.
I even reseted my Bios, but that did not help either.

Hi, i am not sure if this is the right place, but i post it anyway.

I upgraded to the Nvidia drivers and since, i can’t boot into OpenSUSE anymore.
Normal boot ends with after the first couple lines of the boot, and resets.
If i try to boot with failsafe the same happens.
I even tried to use the DVD and do a rescue, it crashes.
Right now i only can boot into WindowsXP. ???

My hardware seems ok, i assume but i checked my CPU with the intel app and its checked out ok.
I did this, since i got also a crash after boot where i seen a line with CPU 1 where it stopped.

Right now i will try to install perhaps 32bit OpenSUSE and at least recover my datas.

p.s. i run 11.4 x64 KDE.

My question would be, if anyone experienced something similar or if thats been caused by the graphicscard. Altought i would assume that with failsafe there would be not NVidia drivers loaded. I am running out of options.
I even reseted my Bios, but that did not help either.

I have had the nVIDIA driver fail when using beta drivers with beta kernels, but never had a problem with stable kernels or drivers. I always reboot my computer and switch to runlevel 3 from the grub menu then load the nVIDIA driver followed by a complete reboot. You should always keep a backup kernel to switch to and I always keep the last good nVIDIA driver to switch back to. I could see that if there was some sort of disk read error, this could corrupt the selected kernel while allowing Windows to still load. If there is no backup kernel, you most likely will need to reinstall openSUSE.

Thank You,

mm… something does not make sense to me.
I thought about the grub menu, or the driver. But i can not even load the install disk since it does the same thing. Reset.
For some reason i think i have a hardware problem. Just a guess.
My windows is 32bit and my Suse is 64bit. I will see if i can load the 32bit suse and go from there. Is that even possible that somehow the 64bit core is damaged? Just try to make sense of it. I am kinda running out of things i can think off.

But thanks anyway.

mm… something does not make sense to me.
I thought about the grub menu, or the driver. But i can not even load the install disk since it does the same thing. Reset.
For some reason i think i have a hardware problem. Just a guess.
My windows is 32bit and my Suse is 64bit. I will see if i can load the 32bit suse and go from there. Is that even possible that somehow the 64bit core is damaged? Just try to make sense of it. I am kinda running out of things i can think off.

But thanks anyway.
Well a system reset by install disk or by openSUSE install does say hardware problem and you can rule out any disk problem as the main cause though disks can become corrupted. If the computer has not been cleaned in a while, it might be time to blow out the cobwebs. I would take the cover off and make sure all fans are working. Problems can be due to 1. over heating from dust buildup or bad fans, 2. bad memory from bad connections or over heating, 3. bad power supply from dust or bad fans or over heating and 4. finally a defective motherboard from all of the above. I have had all of these things happen to me before. Clean the PC and check out all fans first. Next, if you have two or more memory modules, try it with just one or two to see what that does. If memory does not make any difference, I use this as a time to upgrade the power supply if it is a clone or take it to a shop if it is not.

Thank You,

I did a memtest from the DVD and the mem seems to be fine.
If i boot, i see 3 or 4 lines of messages and then it resets. Sometimes i made it till a message saying cpu 1 something (can’t remember anymore) and then it resets.
I even had problems booting in Windows. For some reason i think it may be the graphics cards. Just a guess of course.
The fans are working fine and there is not much dust really.
So now i will get a temp graphics card and see how far that gets me. But its kinda funny that i can boot in Windows and not in my Linux. Not sure why that is. So strange.:\

I discovered that it had to do something with the textmode at boot.
My mode was 0x317 and for some reason it does not work anymore. If i set it to the basic, which is F00, it does work and i can boot into Linux.
What does that tell me? Can it be that my gfx card is defective? I tried my card under Windows with a game and it worked.
I just don’t know and just want to know. :slight_smile:
Well, at least i am in again.

I discovered that it had to do something with the textmode at boot.
My mode was 0x317 and for some reason it does not work anymore. If i set it to the basic, which is F00, it does work and i can boot into Linux.
What does that tell me? Can it be that my gfx card is defective? I tried my card under Windows with a game and it worked.
I just don’t know and just want to know. :slight_smile:
Well, at least i am in again.
Well, if I were to change my Graphics card after I installed openSUSE, I could end up with incorrect graphic modes, but most often Grub will complain and allow you to select a different mode. This does explain a problem with booting from an Install disk however, though surely both could be related to a bad graphics card I suppose. Why not tell me more about this card, when was it installed in relation to openSUSE, how old is it and in what condition is it?

Thank You,

Well, this card is old, perhaps around 3 years and since then it stayed in the pc. It did, however, removed it today for cleaning. Just a little dust in the fan but nothing major.
It is a Evga GT8800 with 1GB of Ram. Pretty good card, but now of course outdated.
Never had any problems really, but i’ll guess i do now.
So if i get it right, if my card is not capable of displaying the textmode in high resolution (1048x768) then it might be the card. Thats what i would conclude. Although it does work right now, but its not the Vesa mode and i think thats whats not working. Windows booted fine and i can play games, but they all are running in different resolutions.
I just try to understand to make sense out of it. Now i might just get the cheapest card i can find. Out of my budget right now. But i am glad i can log in back again.

The nVIDIA 8800 GT is a single slot wide video card (many today take up two slots) with a single 6 pin power plug on the end as I recall. It is a very good video card for openSUSE and handles just about any resolution you could need, particularly with the latest video driver installed. Of course, nothing lasts for ever and one must consider the motherboard in this case as well. So, did this problem just come up when you removed the card to clean it or after? You did pull the power plug from the PC before removing it, right? You know that all newer motherboards are still live, even when off if you do not pull the power plug or turn the power switch off is so equipped. The day the power switch turned in to a momentary push button switch to turn on a PC was the day motherboards stay live all of the time and dangerous to work on, as least for any PC cards plugged in to it.

Thank You,

Actually, this one takes two slots. It has the bigger fan. At the time i bought it, i was a real gamer.
Now i don’t care that much anymore since i do most web/email on it. I will buy a newer pc soon, but it will be smaller and not so powerful.

Yes, powerplug was removed and the problem started before i removed it. I think i installed the Nvidia drivers before and next time nothing worked anymore. Really don’t know why, but i think that my Vesa mode is gone. The rest works still so it might be still good for anything else.

This is the very first time that i really had a hardware problem. For all the time i use a computer, i never had really problems. Well, except for my A500 where one chip burned out. :slight_smile:

I checked in the /var/log/boot.msg and can kind off pin point to the point where my reset happens.

<6>    0.016069] Setting APIC routing to flat
<6>    0.016437] ..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
<6>    0.029451] CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         E8500  @ 3.16GHz stepping 0a
<6>    0.032015] NMI watchdog enabled, takes one hw-pmu counter.
<6>    0.036021] Booting Node   0, Processors  #1

After the last line it resets.
Now, i checked the under Linux my memory, turns out ok. Under Windows i used the Intel Diagnostic tool to check my cpu, which happens to be ok too.
Then i checked with diagnostic tool to see what is with my gfx card, but no errors shown. No overheating.

I am not sure if there was a kernel update (did not pay attention). Right now i only can boot with a different textmode in failsafe in my desktop.
So to what does that lead me. Is it by any change a software problem, or is it really my gfx card. It seems quite random the textmode i choose to get into the desktop. Yesterday it was F00, today this does not work.

I am somewhat convinced that it is the gfx card, but there is still a little doubt too.

To my surprise i found out that everything i was looking for wasn’t the problem at all.
Not the graphicscard, nor motherboard or memory.
It was my wireless keyboard. Not sure if its just the battery or something else. But if i don’t plug it in, everything is booting just fine. Weird, isn’t it.
At least i don’t need to buy another gfx card. :slight_smile:

To my surprise i found out that everything i was looking for wasn’t the problem at all.
Not the graphicscard, nor motherboard or memory.
It was my wireless keyboard. Not sure if its just the battery or something else. But if i don’t plug it in, everything is booting just fine. Weird, isn’t it.
At least i don’t need to buy another gfx card. :slight_smile:

Wow, I have not heard of a keyboard causing this kind of problem. No doubt, I would try a new battery, but if it still was a problem, it would surely be a time for a new keyboard.

Thank You,

Yes, it is strange but true (?).
I think what might happen that a contact got stuck and send an impuls that linux was interpreting as something wrong and collapsed.
I unplugged the usb transmitter for my keyboard and mouse and it all booted up well. The keyboard is fine so far and it was a free keyboard from logitech. Something might gotten inside. The battery is fine btw.
Will try to clean it. So if someone has a simliar problem, check you keyboard. rotfl!