Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot panic

Default Re: Boot panic

I checked in the /var/log/boot.msg and can kind off pin point to the point where my reset happens.

Code:
    <6>[    0.016069] Setting APIC routing to flat
    <6>[    0.016437] ..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
    <6>[    0.029451] CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         E8500  @ 3.16GHz stepping 0a
    <6>[    0.032015] NMI watchdog enabled, takes one hw-pmu counter.
    <6>[    0.036021] Booting Node   0, Processors  #1
    After the last line it resets.
    Now, i checked the under Linux my memory, turns out ok. Under Windows i used the Intel Diagnostic tool to check my cpu, which happens to be ok too.
    Then i checked with diagnostic tool to see what is with my gfx card, but no errors shown. No overheating.

I am not sure if there was a kernel update (did not pay attention). Right now i only can boot with a different textmode in failsafe in my desktop.
    So to what does that lead me. Is it by any change a software problem, or is it really my gfx card. It seems quite random the textmode i choose to get into the desktop. Yesterday it was F00, today this does not work.

I am somewhat convinced that it is the gfx card, but there is still a little doubt too.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

To my surprise i found out that everything i was looking for wasn't the problem at all.
    Not the graphicscard, nor motherboard or memory.
    It was my wireless keyboard. Not sure if its just the battery or something else. But if i don't plug it in, everything is booting just fine. Weird, isn't it.
    At least i don't need to buy another gfx card.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Boot panic

To my surprise i found out that everything i was looking for wasn't the problem at all.
    Not the graphicscard, nor motherboard or memory.
    It was my wireless keyboard. Not sure if its just the battery or something else. But if i don't plug it in, everything is booting just fine. Weird, isn't it.
    At least i don't need to buy another gfx card.
    Wow, I have not heard of a keyboard causing this kind of problem. No doubt, I would try a new battery, but if it still was a problem, it would surely be a time for a new keyboard.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Yes, it is strange but true (?).
    I think what might happen that a contact got stuck and send an impuls that linux was interpreting as something wrong and collapsed.
    I unplugged the usb transmitter for my keyboard and mouse and it all booted up well. The keyboard is fine so far and it was a free keyboard from logitech. Something might gotten inside. The battery is fine btw.
    Will try to clean it. So if someone has a simliar problem, check you keyboard.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12