Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: libreoffice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default libreoffice

    opening the libreoffice -writer and cant save my libreoffice documents, not in home directory or any other place on my drive....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: libreoffice

    On 05/24/2011 02:06 PM, loand wrote:
    >
    > opening the libreoffice -writer and cant save my libreoffice documents,
    > not in home directory or any other place on my drive....
    >
    >

    you shouldn't normally even try to save a document to any place other
    than your own /home

    what is your operating system and version?

    did this libre problem just begin, after working okay for a while?

    how was libre installed? what version of libre are you running?

    what desktop environment are you using? have you logged into it as root?

    please open a terminal and enter this:

    please do this in a user terminal
    Code:
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    and copy/paste the both the output and input back to this thread using
    the instructions here: http://goo.gl/i3wnr

    and, if you have any copy paste the errors also..

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: libreoffice

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 05/24/2011 02:06 PM, loand wrote:
    >
    > opening the libreoffice -writer and cant save my libreoffice documents,
    > not in home directory or any other place on my drive....
    >
    >

    you shouldn't normally even try to save a document to any place other
    than your own /home

    what is your operating system and version?

    did this libre problem just begin, after working okay for a while?

    how was libre installed? what version of libre are you running?

    what desktop environment are you using? have you logged into it as root?

    please open a terminal and enter this:

    please do this in a user terminal
    Code:
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    and copy/paste the both the output and input back to this thread using
    the instructions here: Posting in Code Tags - A Guide

    and, if you have any copy paste the errors also..

    --
    dd CAVEAT: C A V E A T
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255
    Hi DenverD
    thanks for your response and sorry for not accurate details, any way I can not save anywhere on my disk, like I mentioned, not in home, not in Documents not on other partitions, nowhere. I am getting that message "error during writing file Document1 /home/url/ Document1 does not exists"

    I had no problems before with it just today realized that, am running opensuse 11.4 kde with libre 3.3 installed since beginning.

    I think it can be something with user rights so I added my user-name to root group, logged out and logged in but it didnt help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: libreoffice

    On 05/24/2011 05:06 PM, loand wrote:
    >
    > I am getting that message
    > "error during writing file Document1 /home/url/ Document1 does not
    > exists"


    is your user name on the system "url"?

    i ask because that error indicates libre is attempting to write to the
    home directory of the user named "url"!

    if you are not "url" who is? or, how did libre get the idea that there
    is a /home/url


    > I had no problems before with it just today realized that,


    are you saying before today you could save documents in libre, but now
    you can not....or....you never tried it before today and therefore only
    realized today that you could not save..


    > I think it can be something with user rights so I added my user-name to
    > root group, logged out and logged in but it didnt help.


    a default install of openSUSE 11.4 has no group named "root"...did you
    add one?

    whether you did or not, do NOT add your user name to a group named "root"

    you can not solve permissions problems in such a way without dire
    consequences..

    nor can you solve anything by logging into KDE as root--do *not* do
    that, ever.

    finally, please go back to re-read and follow the directions given to
    provide the output of fdisk -l

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: libreoffice


    is your user name on the system "url"?
    I meant url for the "Documents" folder, location where I wanted to save the file...


    are you saying before today you could save documents in libre, but now
    you can not....or....you never tried it before today and therefore only
    realized today that you could not save
    It was problem with groups, I added my user to root group and it works now, however dont know why after adding user to group changes havent happened just after logout?

    any way it works now the solution was to add user/myself to root group so to have rwx rights on the system.

    thanks DenverD and take care!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: libreoffice

    Adding yourself to root is NOT a solution and will lead to more problems later. You haven't done as DD requested and shown the output of 'fdisk -l.' 'ls -l' from your home directory might be informative too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: libreoffice

    On 2011-05-24 19:06, loand wrote:

    > any way it works now the solution was to add user/myself to root group
    > so to have rwx rights on the system.


    That's no solution. It will cause new problems ahead.

    You haven't provided enough info for us to help.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: libreoffice

    On 05/24/2011 07:06 PM, loand wrote:
    >
    > thanks DenverD and take care!


    hopeless time sink.

    -=PLOINK!=-.

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: libreoffice

    yes you are right, adding user to root group is not a solution and I should changed access rights of user to these location from the very beginning,( somehow I was not part of the users group and that was the problem ) thanks you all for that.
    DenverD I should posted what you were asking for but I didnt if you think you wasted time because of reading and posting on these topic sorry to hear that, any way thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •