Thread: Screen Recorder.

Default Screen Recorder.

I searched for a screen recorder and i founded one called "recordMyDesktop".
    After some search on the site i found a link to a packman repository and some mirrors, all of them unavailable, searched on yast and nothing found and in build.opensuse.org i also found information about compatibility but not a link to a download so i downloaded the source to try to compile.
    To be honest i never had successfully compiled a tar.gz or a tar.bz so i once again tried to read carefully the installation instructions.

~$ sh autogen.sh
    ~$ ./configure
    ~$ make
    ~$ sudo make install
    After extracted and changed directory i tried "sh autogen.sh" and just says that the file doesn't exists.
    ./configure apparently worked and did the job but "make" does nothing.
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    I already read three or four tutorials about compiling from the CLI and i don't know what im doing wrong but in a month of linux(two weeks of oSUSE) i never did the trick successfully.

May someone explain where i failed or give a link to a .rpm suitable to openSUSE?

regards

Default Re: Screen Recorder.

For openSUSE 11.4 just add this repository
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...ntrib/standard
    or use the one click installer
    http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/ope...ecordmydesktop
    How do you find something like this?
    Goto http://software.opensuse.org and use the search function.

--
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioxPT View Post
    I searched for a screen recorder and i founded one called "recordMyDesktop".
    After some search on the site i found a link to a packman repository and some mirrors, all of them unavailable, searched on yast and nothing found and in build.opensuse.org i also found information about compatibility but not a link to a download
    Not a link to download?

When I search the opensuse search engine for 'recordmydesktop' I obtain this: software.opensuse.org: Search Results with lots of hits!
    You should be able to download and install recordmydesktop from there.

Having typed that, I believe one can do better than recordmydesktop with the 'ffmpeg' command. We had a discussion on that in this thread: xvidcap not working after update to 11.4

The command I use to capture my desktop (1920x1200) at 15 frames per second, with pulse audio enabled is:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 15 -s 1920x1200 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.avi
    To learn more about the ffmpeg screen capture options read here: How to do Proper Screencasts on Linux Using FFmpeg

Edit - I see now martin_helm's post - that will teach me to start a post, go away for a shower and then come back and finish the post !

Great tip!!!!tks

oldcpu wrote:

> Having typed that, I believe one can do better than recordmydesktop
    > with the 'ffmpeg' command. We had a discussion on that in this thread:
    > 'xvidcap not working after update to 11.4' (http://tinyurl.com/4yjsf7c)
    >

The use of ffmpeg looks very interesting, I was not even aware of that
    possibility. Your posts contain always something from which I can learn.

--
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

Thanks to both.
    I didn't know that software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.4 has a search menu for software in repositories so i used google as usual and that may be explanation to do not found.
    recordMyDesktop has a known problem with frame rates that happened in my desktop and makes the video like 100 times faster than the reality when saved so i gonna give a try to ffmpeg.

Anyway. Thanks for the great tips.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Not a link to download?

When I search the opensuse search engine for 'recordmydesktop' I obtain this: software.opensuse.org: Search Results with lots of hits!
    You should be able to download and install recordmydesktop from there.

Having typed that, I believe one can do better than recordmydesktop with the 'ffmpeg' command. We had a discussion on that in this thread: xvidcap not working after update to 11.4

The command I use to capture my desktop (1920x1200) at 15 frames per second, with pulse audio enabled is:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 15 -s 1920x1200 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.avi
    To learn more about the ffmpeg screen capture options read here: How to do Proper Screencasts on Linux Using FFmpeg

Edit - I see now martin_helm's post - that will teach me to start a post, go away for a shower and then come back and finish the post !
    A link or two were missing, but I did a search on the "How to do Proper..." text and found:
    HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums

This gave great options. Pulse didn't work for me so I deleted "-i pulse" and had to also delete "-vpre lossless_ultrafast" (the preset files seem to be missing in the default 12.1 opensuse install of ffmpeg) - but other than that, it's great - and best of all *reliable.* XVidCap crashes 3/4ths of the time if there are other tasks running.

Thank You OldCPU!!!!
    Patricia

The best screen recorder i've used on 12.3 so far is vokoscreen - https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ge=vokoscreen1

Quote Originally Posted by cra1g321 View Post
    The best screen recorder i've used on 12.3 so far is vokoscreen - https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ge=vokoscreen1
    Not too shabby. I think I like Kaazam a lttile better still .. (though, I haven't used it for a long time, and it didn't work for me out of the box, whereas vokoscreen, for that matter, did). I don't like the three windows vokoscreen opens up on the panel/taskbar ... reminds me of xsane!

Anyway, there was another "recommend desktop capture apps" thread a while back where someone mentioned a couple of others that were pretty good too, but I can't recall them at the moment.

Easy desktop capture sure has come along nicely ... after a bit of a dry streak.

Quote Originally Posted by cra1g321 View Post
    Here is a screencast made with vokoscreen which I also find extremely good openSUSE 13.1 - YouTube
    Dale
    Computer ntel Next Unit of Computing Kit, Black/Grey BOXDCCP847DYE
    Processor intel celeron 847 @ 1.1 GHz
    Video intel sandybridge mobile