Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulse audio how to

Default pulse audio how to

Dear all,
    I have followed the guide here :
    SDBulseaudio - openSUSE
    and I have done everything (double checked).

What I do now know is how to use pulse audio. Is it a service? should I turn off /etc/init.d/alsasound stop?

Do you have a guide?

Regards
    Alex

Blog Entries

Default Re: pulse audio how to

I find it useful to install Pulse Audio Volume Control application (pavucontrol) and use that to better tune pulse audio for EACH multimedia application and for EACH audio device.

My experience is that pulse audio gave a lot of users heartburn initially (in previous openSUSE versions) because it was 'buggy' from upstream, and in particular it gave me some initial heart burn in openSUSE-11.4 because it was 'different' and I was not used to it.

Pulse audio has enabled me to do things with audio in GNU/Linux that I could NOT do before without Pulse audio. Hence I am now becoming a fan of pulse audio.

For example, pulse audio has features for device control that I was not technically able to get working without pulse audio (nor from what I read in our forums were most other users able to get all such features as I list below working).

With pulse audio it is MUCH EASIER for me now to :
    • have multiple multimedia applications playing audio simultaneous to the same sound card/set of speakers
    • have multiple multimedia appilcations playing audio selectively to chosen different sound cards/speakers
    • have multiple multimedia applications recording audio simultaneous from the same Microphone
    • have multiple multimedia applications recording audio simultaneous from different Microphones
    • capture ANY audio that is streamed to my computer from the web by having pulse audio redirect the audio to one or more recording applications
    • have multiple audio streams captured by one recording application

Doing the above without pulse audio was problematic at best, and in most cases I could NOT do most of these functions.

BUT with pulse audio I can. I am finding it very useful where multimedia is a hobby of mine.

For example, I documented my playing with pulse audio in this thread starting in post#4: Looking (maybe) for audio mixer for use with Pulse Audio

So for me, for what I do, pulse audio is proving to be a SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT to GNU/Linux audio.

A proper functioning Pulse Audio has been a LONG TIME coming, and I hope that the bugs that still exist in pulse audio continue to be fixed.

I am mostly 'self taught' with pulse and I CAN NOT point you to any guide. Nor do I know enough to write such a guide.

pulseaudio -k
    E: core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory: Permission denied

a first problem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alaios View Post
    pulseaudio -k
    E: core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory: Permission denied

a first problem
    why is that a problem ? Since you did NOT state if you ran that with root permissions or as a regular user, you leave me no choice but to speculate.

So, ... I speculate you ran that command as a regular user.

Should every user have the permissions to kill pulse ? No! Definitely not. So in that case that makes sence and there is no problem with pulse, but there is a problem with the understanding of pulse. Thats based on my speculation which the lack of information forced me to do (speculate).

Blog Entries

I should also note this from the man page:
    Code:
    -k | --kill Kill an already running PulseAudio daemon of the calling user (Equivalent to sending a SIGTERM).
    Why are you trying to kill pulse? It would seem to me that is contrary to trying to learn about it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I should also note this from the man page:
    Code:
    -k | --kill Kill an already running PulseAudio daemon of the calling user (Equivalent to sending a SIGTERM).
    Why are you trying to kill pulse? It would seem to me that is contrary to trying to learn about it.
    I was playing with parameters and I was noticing that all were failing. I have found that my problem is that my home is a ntfs partition
    thus I should make a new thread to see if I can convert my ntfs to ext4 partition (After backing up etc)

sorry for that failure
    Alex

Blog Entries

I was playing with parameters and I was noticing that all were failing. I have found that my problem is that my home is a ntfs partition
    thus I should make a new thread to see if I can convert my ntfs to ext4 partition (After backing up etc)
    Glad to read you sorted that ! Good luck in setting your /home. It should not be too difficult, although you may wish to backup all data and then create a new ext4 mount point for a /home and then create a new user for your user.

I confess I would never have guessed that a user would use NTFS for /home. That's a 'new one' on me. ... Best wishes in sorting this.

Dear all,
    I have followed the guide here :
    SDBulseaudio - openSUSE
    and I have done everything (double checked).

What I do now know is how to use pulse audio. Is it a service? should I turn off /etc/init.d/alsasound stop?

Do you have a guide?

Regards
    Alex
    That wiki doc/guide to PulseAudio looks somewhat out of date. It mentions some packages (out of date UI tools) obsoleted as documented on the PulseAudio website.

You don't mention your version of openSUSE, and that wiki document shows it was last tested on 11.3 but not yet on 11.4's version of PulseAudio.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    So, ... I speculate you ran that command as a regular user.

Should every user have the permissions to kill pulse ? No! Definitely not. So in that case that makes sence and there is no problem with pulse, but there is a problem with the understanding of pulse. Thats based on my speculation which the lack of information forced me to do (speculate).
    Yes it should have permissions to do it. It's recommended to run PulseAudio daemon per-user (i.e. not as a system-wide instance shared by multiple users), so I assume openSUSE is running a PulseAudio daemon per "regular user". Therefore a normal user can kill (-k | --kill) its running PulseAudio daemon, and then start (--start) the daemon, among other "pulseaudio" command options, without root permissions.

It is true that this guide is for 11.3 . I am running the latest version of opensuse. The idea of having ntfs partition as home is based on my hypothesis that I wanted to have a pure dual-boot system by having a same accessible My Documents and /home partition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast