Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Susie 11.4 network manager doesnt start at bootup

Default Susie 11.4 network manager doesnt start at bootup

Hi All

I am sorry if this is covered in a previous post but having done search I could not find my exact problem.

I am using an Acer Aspire 5536 AMD dual core laptop with a 64bit installation of Susie 11.4. Using 11.2 I had no problems connecting to the wireless router. As soon as 11.4 was installed, clean install, and the laptop rebooted, network manager failed to start, until manually invoked and then enabling networking through the system tray. Even after this it will not connect to a wired or wireless network sometimes for more than 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Default Re: Susie 11.4 network manager doesnt start at bootup

On 05/22/2011 12:36 PM, rowan chattock wrote:

> Susie 11.4.

i know nothing about that distro.

--
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Susie 11.4 network manager doesnt start at bootup

The following examples require that you open up a terminal session and then run the commands listed as shown.

This can be used to reset your internal routing:

Code:
    sudo /sbin/netconfig update -f
    If that does not work, then you could try this:
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state  
    sudo /etc/init.d/network restart
    If that does not work, then you can go for the gold and blank everything in your /home area (This includes saved passwords in kwallat):
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/network stop, requires root password  
    sudo killall -9 kwalletemanager, if running            
    sudo killall -9 knetworkmanager, if running  
    rm -rf ~/.kde4/share/config/networkmanagementrc  
    rm -rf ~/.kde4/share/apps/networkmanagement  
    rm -rf ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc  
    rm -rf ~/.kde4/share/apps/kwallet  
    rm -rf ~/.kde4/share/apps/networkmanager  
    rm ~/.kde4/share/config/networkman*
    For wireless to work in KDE and Network Manager, you must be running Kwallet. You can get an enhanced view using Network Manager Plasmoid if you like by following this advice.

Go to YaST / Software / Software Managerement and search on plasmoid. When you check the package plasmoid-networkmanagment you will get an option to uninstall NetworkManager-kde4 or to not install plasmoid-networkmanagment so elect to delete the package NetworkManager-kde4. If all goes well you need to restart openSUSE to start using the new one.

See if something above might be helpful to you.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Thanks for the advice, option 2 possibly had the most significant effect in that it was immediately able to connect, however at boot Knetworkmanager is still not available in the system tray.

"sudo /etc/init.d/network restart" does remedy the situation and I am then able to force my laptop to connect to the network.

At re-boot networkmanager only appears under hidden icons in the system tray if at all. Clicking on the icon reveals that "enable networking" is not ticked.

Enable networking does not activate the network connection.

Opening a terminal window and typing the following command "sudo /etc/init.d/network restart" changes the networkmanager icon from the blue NM to a black ethernet socket symbol, still no internet connection.
    Disabling and then re-enabling "enable networking" displays the network manager as an active icon clicking on the icon shows the wireless network but still requires manual intervention to activate the network connection.

So the remaining question is why does it not enable or connect automatically as it used to under OpenSuse 11.2.

This penguin may be forced back to the dark side

Blog Entries

So the remaining question is why does it not enable or connect automatically as it used to under OpenSuse 11.2.
    I can say that normally the last step takes care of the problem if you must go that far AND you must not miss the fact you must run Kwallet to store your passphrase when using KDE. Further, the main reason for using Network Manager is to automatically switch between two or more network connections. That means, if you always connect say using wireless, you can disable Network Manager, switch to the Traditional Method using ifup when you go to YaST / Network Devices / Network Settings. You then manually configure your wireless setup and if that does not work, the fault does not appear to be with Network Manager.

Thank You,

I have already tried using ifup and managed to get eth0 to work but that was all.

The facts that are relevant to this issue are:
    This affects all user log ons
    Network manager does not start at boot up
    Both eth0 and WLAN0 are affected
    Kwallet is not being used to store pass phrases I am saving unencrypted.

Could this be that networkmanager is trying to start before the network services are available and if so how can I remedy this?

Blog Entries

I have already tried using ifup and managed to get eth0 to work but that was all.

The facts that are relevant to this issue are:
    This affects all user log ons
    Network manager does not start at boot up
    Both eth0 and WLAN0 are affected
    Kwallet is not being used to store pass phrases I am saving unencrypted.

Could this be that networkmanager is trying to start before the network services are available and if so how can I remedy this?
    Let me just repeat two things here:

1. If you use KDE and Network Manager, you must load Kwallet.

2. If you can't get ifup to work with a single wireless connection, the problem is not with Network Manager.

The problem with ifup is that it can be somewhat cryptic in using it. Further, when things don't work automatically, it can be really frustrating and perhaps we don't have the right clue to send you to the correct solution. I have a bash script that might provide more information about your hardware setup you can get from here and post the text lot provides online. Be aware it can produce a lot of text, not all of which might be relevant and may even need to be posted in two parts due to its size. None the less, we seem to be at an impasse here and so perhaps this will get us over the hump.

netinfo - Read Network & PC Information into a Local Text File

See message #11 for the latest version of the netinfo script.

Thank You,

Hi

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I was all set to run the script you suggested and having noticed that my laptop was taking a long time to boot due to trying to mount NFS point that was not available due to the network not yet connected, so failing. I decided to delete the NFS settings and on re-booting my network connections are immediately available and connect immediately.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance
    Rowan now a happy penguin again.

Blog Entries

Hi

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I was all set to run the script you suggested and having noticed that my laptop was taking a long time to boot due to trying to mount NFS point that was not available due to the network not yet connected, so failing. I decided to delete the NFS settings and on re-booting my network connections are immediately available and connect immediately.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance
    Rowan now a happy penguin again.
    Happy to hear that you did find a problem source. If you would like to put the NFS mount into a script, run at startup, just let me know what your manual mount command might be.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    1. If you use KDE and Network Manager, you must load Kwallet.
    Not true, at least with KDE 4.6.0.

It depends on whether you are using knetworkmanager (which does require Kwallet), of the plasmoid network manager applet (whether to use Kwallet is then configurable).

With the plasmoid, if you click on the network manager icon in the tray, then click on "manage connections", a settings screen comes up. Click on "Other" in the left column of that screen, and then you will find a selection available between

Store connection secrets: Do not store (always prompt); in file (unencrypted); in secure storage (encrypted)

The default is the third of those, which uses Kwallet. But you can select either of the others. I chose to store mine in a file (unencrypted)

The network key is then stored in a file in $HOME/.kde4/share/apps/networkmanagement/connections

(in my case "/home" is an encrypted partition, which I consider secure enough for a WiFi key)
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast