Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

  1. #1

    Default openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    After upgrading from 11.3 the system can not wake up from suspend/hibernate because the power button is not enabled.

    Code:
    > dmesg | grep -i acpi | grep 8.13
    [    8.136013] ACPI: Power Button [PWRB]
    [    8.136462] ACPI: Lid Switch [LID0]
    [    8.136579] ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
    shows that ACPI recognizes power buttons and lid switch
    and their status seems to be valid
    Code:
    > cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/info
    type:                    Lid Switch
    > cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
    state:      open
    > cat /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRB/info
    type:                    Power Button
    > cat /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRF/info
    type:                    Power Button
    Opening and closing the lid twice results in
    Code:
    >  acpi_listen
    button/lid LID0 00000080 00000001
    button/lid LID0 00000080 00000002
    button/lid LID0 00000080 00000003
    button/lid LID0 00000080 00000004
    and pressing the power button very shortly 3 times results in
    Code:
    >  acpi_listen
    button/power PWRF 00000080 00000001
    button/power PWRF 00000080 00000002
    button/power PWRF 00000080 00000003
    The problem may be, that neither PWRF nor LID0 are listed in
    /proc/acpi/wakeup:
    Code:
    > cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Device  S-state   Status   Sysfs node
    P0P2      S4    *disabled
    PEGP      S4    *disabled
    P0P3      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:01.0
    PEGP      S4    *disabled
    P0P1      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1e.0
    PS2K      S3     disabled  pnp:00:07
    PS2M      S3     disabled  pnp:00:08
    EHC1      S3    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.0
    USB1      S3    *disabled
    USB2      S3    *disabled
    USB3      S3    *disabled
    USB4      S3    *disabled
    EHC2      S3    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1a.0
    USB5      S3    *disabled
    USB6      S3    *disabled
    USB7      S3    *disabled
    HDEF      S0    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1b.0
    RP01      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.0
    RP02      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.1
    PXSX      S5    *disabled  pci:0000:03:00.0
    RP03      S4    *disabled
    Probably therefore commands (issues as root) like
    Code:
    > echo PWRF > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    have no effect.

    What to do?


    Hardware:
    HP Pavilion dv6-3011sg
    Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC /144A, BIOS F.26 02/18/2011
    Operating System:
    Kernel: Linux 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop x86_64
    Distribution: openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    So have you visited the KDE menu / Personnel Settings / Hardware Group / Power Management / Power Profiles and configured the Button Events Handler for your selected or default profile?

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So have you ... configured the Button Events Handler for your selected or default profile?
    Thanks for this hint, I re-checked the settings. However, I only find options to get the system into suspend/hibernate mode.
    I do not find any option for wakeup events?

    Thank You

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    Thanks for this hint, I re-checked the settings. However, I only find options to get the system into suspend/hibernate mode.
    I do not find any option for wakeup events?

    Thank You
    The setting of Wake-Up events is done in your BIOS setup though hardware buttons for this can exist as well with Laptops and the real power button should always do something.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  5. #5

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    The setting of Wake-Up events is done in your BIOS setup though hardware buttons for this can exist as well with Laptops and the real power button should always do something.
    ...now, the main power button PWRF and the lid switch LID0 are recognized by acpi as described in the original post.
    Pressing PWRF for 4 seconds e.g. shuts off the computer, as expected.
    But, the buttons are not included in /etc/acpi/wakeup - I think this is the problem:
    How to get them in there?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    Can you run the following command and see what you get?

    Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Mine shows this:

    Code:
    Device  S-state   Status   Sysfs node
    BR20      S3    *disabled  
    EUSB      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.0
    USBE      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1a.0
    PEX0      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.0
    PEX1      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.1
    PEX2      S4    *disabled  
    PEX3      S4    *disabled  
    PEX4      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.4
    PEX5      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.5
    PEX6      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.6
    PEX7      S4    *disabled  
    P0P1      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:01.0
    P0P2      S4    *disabled  
    P0P3      S4    *disabled  
    P0P4      S4    *disabled  
    GBE       S4    *disabled  
    PWRB      S3    *enabled
    I can see that the PWRB is enabled on my computer, but this is a desktop and not a laptop.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  7. #7

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Can you run the following command and see what you get?

    Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Mine shows this:

    Code:
    Device  S-state   Status   Sysfs node
    BR20      S3    *disabled  
    EUSB      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.0
    USBE      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1a.0
    PEX0      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.0
    PEX1      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.1
    PEX2      S4    *disabled  
    PEX3      S4    *disabled  
    PEX4      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.4
    PEX5      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.5
    PEX6      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.6
    PEX7      S4    *disabled  
    P0P1      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:01.0
    P0P2      S4    *disabled  
    P0P3      S4    *disabled  
    P0P4      S4    *disabled  
    GBE       S4    *disabled  
    PWRB      S3    *enabled
    I can see that the PWRB is enabled on my computer, but this is a desktop and not a laptop.
    ...now, unfortunately just such an entry is missing acc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinysuse View Post

    The problem may be, that neither PWRF nor LID0 are listed in
    /proc/acpi/wakeup:
    Code:
    > cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Device  S-state   Status   Sysfs node
    P0P2      S4    *disabled
    PEGP      S4    *disabled
    P0P3      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:01.0
    PEGP      S4    *disabled
    P0P1      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1e.0
    PS2K      S3     disabled  pnp:00:07
    PS2M      S3     disabled  pnp:00:08
    EHC1      S3    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1d.0
    USB1      S3    *disabled
    USB2      S3    *disabled
    USB3      S3    *disabled
    USB4      S3    *disabled
    EHC2      S3    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1a.0
    USB5      S3    *disabled
    USB6      S3    *disabled
    USB7      S3    *disabled
    HDEF      S0    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1b.0
    RP01      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.0
    RP02      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.1
    PXSX      S5    *disabled  pci:0000:03:00.0
    RP03      S4    *disabled
    What to do?
    Thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    So here some more information:

    Code:
    In ACPI there are six power states: S0, S1, S2, S3, S4, and S5. These states are defined as follows:
    
    S0:
    the run state. In this state, the machine is fully running.
    S1:
    the suspend state. In this state, the CPU will suspend activity but retain its contexts.
    S2 and S3:
    sleep  states. In these states, memory contexts are held but CPU contexts are  lost. The differences between S2 and S3 are in CPU re-initialization  done by firmware and device re-initialization.
    S4:
    a sleep state  in which contexts are saved to disk. The context will be restored upon  the return to S0. This is identical to soft-off for hardware. This state  can be implemented by either OS or firmware.
    S5:
    the soft-off state. All activity will stop and all contexts are lost.
    So, in your BIOS setup, what state is it set for? Mine is set for S3 and it would seem that when you put your computer into the "Sleep" mode, the BIOS setting will be important. Now, if you put your computer into Hibernate, this is a totally different animal where the contents of memory are saved to a disk file in SWAP and the actual power button function is not modified in any way, but rather how openSUSE starts up and realizing it was hibernated will restore the session from a file saved on the hard disk.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    I am having the same issue and did not think to look in bios.
    Here is my mine. I t looks like mine is set to Hibernate on both lid and button.
    I am having the same issue and did not think to look in bios. So the idea is that the bios should match?


    ~> cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Device S-state Status Sysfs node
    USB1 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1d.0
    USB3 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1d.2
    USB4 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1a.0
    EHC1 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1d.7
    EHC2 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1a.7
    AZAL S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1b.0
    WLAN S4 *disabled pci:0000:02:00.0
    EXCB S4 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.1
    LAN S4 *disabled pci:0000:00:19.0
    LID S4 *enabled
    PWRB S4 *enabled
    HS87 S4 *disabled
    HS86 S4 *disabled

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: openSUSE 11.4 wakeup power button not enabled

    ...now, unfortunately just such an entry is missing acc.
    pinysuse, I think you need to look at your BIOS settings and see how it is setup. Have you visited your BIOS setup for ACPI to see how it is configured?

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •