Thread: nVIDIA 270.41.19 Driver has Been Released - Have you loaded it Yet?

Blog Entries

Smile nVIDIA 270.41.19 Driver has Been Released - Have you loaded it Yet?

You can get the 64 bit version 270.41.19 of the nVIDIA proprietary Video Driver from this link:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...-270.41.19.run

I have been using the recent kernel 2.6.39 from here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...2.6.39.tar.bz2

And the new video driver from nVIDIA no longer is outputting any error message when it is installed as was the case with 270.41.6. So, it is worth a try I do believe to go with the new version. I have a bash script that can be helpful in installing this driver if you would like to use it. Read about lnvhw from here:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Default Re: nVIDIA 270.41.19 Driver has Been Released - Have you loaded it Yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    You can get the 64 bit version 270.41.19 of the nVIDIA proprietary Video Driver from this link:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...-270.41.19.run
    Thanks for that download link. Unfortunately the main 64-bit link on the nVidia site is still broken so your link is very useful ! I note for the 32-bit it has this to say about the change (on the nvidia site):

• Fixed a bug in the VDPAU presentation queue that could cause 1 second hangs when transitioning from blit-based display to overlay- based display. This would most commonly happen when disabling a compositing manager.
    • Fixed a bug that could cause crashes when capturing SDI video.
    • Fixed a corner-case in which the OpenGL driver could leak resources in applications utilizing fork().
    • Addressed a Linux kernel interface compatibility problem that could lead to ioremap() errors and, potentially, functional and/or stability problems.
    • Fixed a bug that caused SLI initialization to fail on some Intel based systems.
    • Fixed a bug that caused SLI initialization to fail when using recent Linux kernels, such as 2.6.38.
    I'll give the 64-bit driver a try later tonight.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: nVIDIA 270.41.19 Driver has Been Released - Have you loaded it Yet?

Please let me know how the 64 bit version of the nVIDIA video driver works for you. I am updating the kernel and video driver on my Movie viewing computer even as we speak. I have the new movie The Tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp on DVD and will be using Kaffeine/KDE3 to see video on my TV and my 5.1 Sony Receiver to hear the sound. I hope the movie is good for the wife and I to see tonight as I have not read the movie reviews.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

Please let me know how the 64 bit version of the nVIDIA video driver works for you. I am updating the kernel and video driver on my Movie viewing computer even as we speak. I have the new movie The Tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp on DVD and will be using Kaffeine/KDE3 to see video on my TV and my 5.1 Sony Receiver to hear the sound. I hope the movie is good for the wife and I to see tonight as I have not read the movie reviews.
    I installed the 64-bit version of the 270.41.19 nVidia proprietary driver on the 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 KDE4 test partition on my Intel Core i7 920 w/Asua P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard and nVidia GTX 260 PCI-e graphic card. Of course installation was done the manual way (formerly called 'the hardway (which is not hard)'.

Thus far its working well.

I played a youtube video, and an mpeg video with firefox. Special desktop effects are running well.

I'm going to try this updated driver on my openSUSE-11.3 partition on same PC shortly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I'm going to try this updated driver on my openSUSE-11.3 partition on same PC shortly.
    I installed the 270.41.19 on my 64-bit openSUSE-11.3 on same PC (GTX 260 graphics) noted above. Thus far it appears to be running well (youtube videos/mpeg video on hard drive ... etc ... ).

Blog Entries

I installed the 270.41.19 on my 64-bit openSUSE-11.3 on same PC (GTX 260 graphics) noted above. Thus far it appears to be running well (youtube videos/mpeg video on hard drive ... etc ... ).
    That is good to hear oldcpu. My movie computer, I guess it is really called a HTPC (Home Theater Personnel Computer) is working well with the nVIDIA Video Driver 270.41.19 along with kernel 2.6.39 all loaded within openSUSE 11.3. I have the root menu of the movie running right now, awaiting the time for the movie to start tonight. All seems to be working just as I had hoped. I have not yet tried openSUSE 11.4 with its pulseaudio setup though I see you have made some headway in that area. I guess, at least with this PC, I will wait until the time openSUSE 11.3 is no longer supported, before switching to the next version of openSUSE.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

The 270.41.19 does appear to work well on the two 64-bit installs I have tested it on thus far.

I have not yet tried openSUSE 11.4 with its pulseaudio setup though I see you have made some headway in that area. I guess, at least with this PC, I will wait until the time openSUSE 11.3 is no longer supported, before switching to the next version of openSUSE.
    Yes, it took some effort to learn that small amount about a null sink (with pulse audio), but I'm happy with the progress I made in learning.

Pulse audio in openSUSE-11.4 does have some capabilities (in terms of better control over one's audio devices, and also network audio) that I do not have in openSUSE-11.3. I suspect what I am beginning to learn about pulse audio is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of some good capabilities, and I simply hope that the bugs continue to be worked out of it.

Still, I'll likely stay on 11.3 thou for a while longer. I've only had 11.3 on my Core i7 920 PC for less than 5 months (with 11.2 on before then). While I try to install and test as many of the milestone and RC versions of a new openSUSE as I can (on my sandbox pc), I am a lot more conservative on my main home PC. Possibly in the July or August time frame I'll install 11.4 on the main partition of my main PC.

Blog Entries

Just as a totally side note on a mixer. I really did not want to remove or disable Pulseaudio. The pavucontrol seems to have worked well for you. I still miss the alsa mixer which I felt I understood but I have started using the xfce4-mixer which seems to do just what I want, at least for line-in, aux-in and so forth, all while using Pulseaudio. You might look at it if you have not already done so.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

I have the new movie The Tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp on DVD and will be using Kaffeine/KDE3 to see video on my TV and my 5.1 Sony Receiver to hear the sound. I hope the movie is good for the wife and I to see tonight as I have not read the movie reviews.
    Just finished the movie and it was very good and recommended to anyone that likes a good thriller and a love story combined with a surprise ending, so don't ask anyone how the movie ends if you decide to see The Tourist for yourself.

Thank You,