Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: ./configure won't work when installing tar ball programs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    26

    Default ./configure won't work when installing tar ball programs

    Hi I'm trying to install bitcoin onto my computer, and the Linux version only comes in tar.gz, and I can extract it just fine, however when I put in ./configure using the command line...it doesn't work...so I checked the README file and it didn't mention doing that...it simply told me to run either /bin/64/bitcoin
    or to run /bin/32/bitcoin

    However when I try running first one, /bin/64/bitcoin, it simply says something about there not being a shared library...

    But when I try to run /bin/32/bitcoin it simply says "Permission Denied" and yes I tried running as root when I first saw that...didn't do any good. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

  2. #2

    Default Re: ./configure won't work when installing tar ball programs

    Hello AgoristTeen1994,

    Quote Originally Posted by AgoristTeen1994
    Hi I'm trying to install bitcoin onto my computer, and the Linux version only comes in tar.gz, and I can extract it just fine, however when I put in ./configure using the command line...it doesn't work...so I checked the README file and it didn't mention doing that...it simply told me to run either /bin/64/bitcoin
    or to run /bin/32/bitcoin
    The readme is right, there's no need to compile it yourself since the binaries are already built.

    Quote Originally Posted by AgoristTeen1994
    However when I try running first one, /bin/64/bitcoin, it simply says something about there not being a shared library...
    Do you run 64-bit openSUSE or 32-bit?
    The one to choose depends on the one you run.

    Quote Originally Posted by AgoristTeen1994
    But when I try to run /bin/32/bitcoin it simply says "Permission Denied" and yes I tried running as root when I first saw that...didn't do any good. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.
    That's because for some reason the binary hasn't got execute permissions.
    Enter the bin/32/ directory with a filemanager, right click on bitcoin.
    Select the permissions tab and make sure "is executable" is checked.

    Good luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    2,061

    Default Re: ./configure won't work when installing tar ball programs

    ...or

    Code:
    chmod +x /path/to/bitcoin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: ./configure won't work when installing tar ball programs

    Okay thanks for the suggestions.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: ./configure won't work when installing tar ball programs

    AgoristTeen1994 wrote:

    > However when I try running first one, /bin/64/bitcoin, it simply says
    > something about there not being a shared library...
    >

    Post the exact output here (if it is very long post it to susepaste.org and
    give us the link here), maybe you simply need to install something in
    addition.

    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •