video in skype

I have installed skype (from skype website) into Opensuse 11.4 64bit

I followed instructions from SDB:Skype - openSUSE to satisfy dependencies etc.

Skype starts fine and voice is no problem but I cannot get any video working.
When I go to the test option in skype I get a blank/black window and no light on the camera.
Camera works no problem in kopete.
It is a usb logitech webcam

any help would be appreciated. Please let me know what further info is required.

Well there are DOZENS of different Logitech webcams and they do NOT all use the same driver. How about telling us what webcam (to start with).

You can do that by typing (with webcam pluged in):

lsusb 

and post here the line corresponding to that webcam.

Also provide the output of the command:

rpm -qa '*kype*' 

here’s the requested info

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:c52f Logitech, Inc. Wireless Mouse M305
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 046d:08d9 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam IM/Connect

skype-2.2.0.25-suse111.i586

So that is your webcam, a 046d:08d9. There is general webcam guidance here for openSUSE: HCL:Web cameras - openSUSE

It suggests to check what driver one’s webcam uses. When I search the list of webcams that use the UVC driver I do not see your webcam listed. When I search the list of webcams the spca/gspca driver supports I see the 046d:08d9 listed. That tells me that the spca/gspca is your webcam driver.

Please type:

lsmod | grep video 

and confirm the spca/gspca webcam driver is loaded.

Now if you read further in the HCL:Web cameras - openSUSE page (which can be found by the way by a simple google search for “openSUSE webcam” ) you will note there are special instructions for spca/gspca webcams, you will note it states that:

However, some applications still don’t work very well together with the new drivers, a workaround is to preload a libv4l-compat library:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so

before starting the respective application, i.e. for kopete you would type: 
 LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so kopete 

This compat-library can be found in the package “libv4l”, which is available from OSS-Repo or (recommended) from Packman. (see - Additional YaST Package Repositories](http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories))

If you have a 64 bit system, you preload the library with:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <application> 

If you want to run a 32 bit application (i.e. skype) on a 64 bit system, you first need to install “libv4l-32bit” (only available in the Packman repository) and run the preload-command used for 32 bit.

If this works for you, you can add the LD_PRELOAD-command to the startup command of your menu entry/desktop shortcut via menu editor or with right-clicking the desktop icon => properties => application => command respectively.

so try:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

thanks, yes. I just stumbles across the code you note above

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

in a skype forum.

All working now - although must be time for a new camera. Something a little higher spec…

Thanks again.

Glad to read everything is now working.

Reference any new webcam, I recommend you ensure that any webcam you purchase is UVC compatible.