Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: kernel-parameters.txt

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default kernel-parameters.txt

    if you installed the kernel documentation on 11.3 and every 10.x i
    tried, there was a really neat listing of available kernel CLI switches
    at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

    i can't find it on 11.4, is there another place which that long list of
    acpi switches is documented (*for* the kernel i have installed)???

    tia

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: kernel-parameters.txt

    On 05/20/2011 03:46 AM, DenverD wrote:
    > if you installed the kernel documentation on 11.3 and every 10.x i tried, there
    > was a really neat listing of available kernel CLI switches at
    > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
    >
    > i can't find it on 11.4, is there another place which that long list of acpi
    > switches is documented (*for* the kernel i have installed)???


    The file is in the kernel source, which is where you found it earlier. To get it
    for 2.6.37, you need to install that package.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: kernel-parameters.txt

    On 05/20/2011 04:10 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
    > The file is in the kernel source, which is where you found it earlier.
    > To get it for 2.6.37, you need to install that package.


    you are right! it is in source (and not doc, as i had misremembered)..

    thanks!

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: kernel-parameters.txt

    On 05/20/2011 11:13 AM, DenverD wrote:
    > On 05/20/2011 04:10 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
    >> The file is in the kernel source, which is where you found it earlier.
    >> To get it for 2.6.37, you need to install that package.

    >
    > you are right! it is in source (and not doc, as i had misremembered)..


    Anyone that does kernel development gets very used to perusing the information
    in the Documentation tree of the kernel sources.

    One word of caution - driver developers do not always update that file. To see a
    complete list of the parameters that a given driver will accept at load time, do
    a 'grep module_param' on the sources for that driver. For example, b43 handles
    the following options:

    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(bad_frames_preempt,
    modparam_bad_frames_preempt, int, 0444);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_string(fwpostfix,
    modparam_fwpostfix, 16, 0444);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(hwpctl, modparam_hwpctl, int,
    0444);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(nohwcrypt,
    modparam_nohwcrypt, int, 0444);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(hwtkip, modparam_hwtkip, int,
    0444);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(qos, modparam_qos, int, 0444);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(btcoex, modparam_btcoex, int,
    0444);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(verbose,
    b43_modparam_verbose, int, 0644);
    drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c:module_param_named(pio, b43_modparam_pio, int,
    0644);


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: kernel-parameters.txt

    On 2011-05-20 21:08, Larry Finger wrote:

    > One word of caution - driver developers do not always update that file.


    How nice of them...

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: kernel-parameters.txt

    On 05/21/2011 04:48 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > How nice of them...
    >


    yeah, not cool.

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •