View Poll Results: Are you a distro hopper?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i am

20 25.64%
  • No, i am fine with what i am having

58 74.36%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a distro hopper?

Default Are you a distro hopper?

Well, i always wonder why people hop from one distro to another. Today Ubuntu, tomorrow maybe OpenSUSE?
    What makes people jumping around? Are they not happy with the distro they got?

Of course everyone has the choice to try out something different, but sometimes i think that people are looking for something better than they have.

Not sure if am right. I just never felt that way and stick with what i have. I tried Debian (complicated), Ubuntu (easy), Fedora (pain) and OpenSUSE (just right).
    I know some people that swear on Arch. Although i never felt that i need to try it out.

So are you a hopper?
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are you a distro hopper?

I'm not a distro hopper, I'm a distro dancer. (Once saw a sign saying take lessons to distro dance and mistook that for disco dance. )

Anyway I like to keep up with what other distros are doing so I play around a bit, but I stick with one distro for a long time on my main machine if only because it would disrupt my work to change. I also feel that once past the getting to know Linux stage, it's more worthwhile to stick with one distro with all its faults because you learn more that way. If you hop around, you will be constantly unhappy because the next revision may bring about some changes you can't cope with, and then it's off the the forums to whinge about how bad distro X is and leaving for distro Y and what not.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Not really, just use openSUSE, SLED and SLES, I do have three solaris SPARC systems, but guess I need to build a SPARC version of openSUSE.....hmmm
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I do test other distributions and sometimes run them parallel to openSUSE for some time. I have been using Gentoo for two years, Slackware for three, but oS was my first PC-system ever and has always been the main one. These days I also use FreeBSD (since two years), as I find the →different concepts quite interesting - I am not looking for a different system, though, as I am very happy with oS. I am just curious.

I only use one distro. I follow the rule: never change a running system. Therefore even updating to the nexty openSUSE level is not a good idea for me.
    Experience confirms this, not openSUSE strickt as OS, but KDE most of the time let us (specialy my wife) fall down with changed functionality/user interface.
    Henk van Velden

I am not sure what to answer... I answered yes.
    When 11.1 appeared, and 11.3 appeared, both didn't work at all on my laptop(s). In period of waiting for 11.2 (11.4), I was hopping a lot.
    Only ones I liked were: LMDE, Mint and Sabayon
    Emil Beli
    http://www.beli.ws/blog/
    openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE, ATI 5600, i7 dell inspire laptop

Blog Entries

Once I find something that works for me, I stick with it.

I used slackware for a while. Then I went with solaris (for work related reasons). When there was no longer a reason to use solaris, I went with suse/opensuse (since around 2004, though with some overlap with solaris use).
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Yes and no. Have many machines and each has the distro that worked the best for that machine. So I hop hop hop till I get a distro that does install and configure on a particular machine.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

I am all about stability over the longer term. I stay with what works so I don't change distros.

I have a Test box that I do run other distros on as well as the latest stable release of openSUSE. Right now it has Debian stable on it. I tried the most recent version of Ubuntu and it was complete **** so I installed Debian stable. I have a spare drive for that machine that I intend to instal mageia on as soon as they have a stable release.

It pretty much has to be KDE for me. Debian and Ubuntu have been the only exceptions. I really need to much hand holding to do experimentation.
    Tumbleweed

I go to periods of search and stay. In searching period I go out changing distros every 2-3 day until I finally like one of them, then stay period starts. Then after a while, I get bored of my current distro, and search for a new one or go back to some distro I have used some time ago and liked it. I also change distro's when my experimental stupidities ruines my working system. When that happens, I just install the distro which I have install media at hand.
    The only problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes trouble shoots back.
    My blog (in Turkish): http://yasar.serveblog.net

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast