Thread: Help Please: How to force KDE 4 applications to open as a new instance, not new tab?

Default Help Please: How to force KDE 4 applications to open as a new instance, not new tab?

When a new instance of a running KDE 4 application (kwrite, konqueror, etc.) is run under opensuse 11.4 with KDE4 it seems that the default behaviour is to open a new tab in the running instance.

This occurs when the new instance is called from the command line; the start menu; the run dialogue; or a desktop icon, even when called from a separate desktop. In konqueror the menu option <File> <new window> opens a new tab and seems redundant.

How can a user force KDE 4 applications to run a new instance in a separate frame / window when another instance of that application is already running?

Please excuse me if this has already been documented. I have searched this forum, the KDE Community forum and the web, so far without success.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help Please: How to force KDE 4 applications to open as a new instance, not new tab?

I just tried that with "kwrite" and it opened a new window.

Perhaps it depends. In the workspace settings, I have workspace configured as "Desktop". Perhaps it behaves differently if you configure for "netbook"

For konqueror and firefox, I would expect the behavior that you are seeing. That's because of the way that the application is designed. The running browser keeps a lot of status information in its configuration directory. Because of that, you cannot have two independent instances of the application running at once. If you start a second, it checks the configuration directory, sees that the application is already running, and sends a signal to the running application. With firefox, you can still configure it to open a new window rather than a new tab, but it would be a new window for the same instance of the running application. I'm not sure about konqueror settings for that, since I don't use it often.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Default Re: Help Please: How to force KDE 4 applications to open as a newinstance, not new tab?

On Wed, 18 May 2011 07:06:04 +0530, Tallowwood
    <Tallowwood@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    > When a new instance of a running KDE 4 application (kwrite, konqueror,
    > etc.) is run under opensuse 11.4 with KDE4 it seems that the default
    > behaviour is to open a new tab in the running instance.
    >
    > This occurs when the new instance is called from the command line; the
    > start menu; the run dialogue; or a desktop icon, even when called from a
    > separate desktop. In konqueror the menu option <File> <new window> opens
    > a new tab and seems redundant.
    >
    > How can a user force KDE 4 applications to run a new instance in a
    > separate frame / window when another instance of that application is
    > already running?
    >
    > Please excuse me if this has already been documented. I have searched
    > this forum, the KDE Community forum and the web, so far without success.
    >
    >

depends on the application. kwrite, as far as i know, always opens a new
    window. for konqueror, you can define the behavior in it's settings (menu:
    settings -> configure konqueror). by typing <app.name> --help many app.s
    list command line arguments that allow you to modify the default behavior.
    if both, application settings & command line arguments are specified, i
    don't know which option is finally used...

--
    phani.

Default Re: Help Please: How to force KDE 4 applications to open as a new instance, not new tab?

This behaviour can be altered in Settings>Configure Konqueror>General and similar places in other applications.

The only thing that I could think of is that you are using a KDE4 feature called Window Tabbing. Go to 'Systemsettings > Window Behaviour > Window Behaviour > Advanced' and see what your settings are there.

I bet you have "Automatically group similar windows" checked.

ETA: A small screenshot what Window Tabbing looks like:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    The only thing that I could think of is that you are using a KDE4 feature called Window Tabbing. Go to 'Systemsettings > Window Behaviour > Window Behaviour > Advanced' and see what your settings are there. [snip] I bet you have "Automatically group similar windows" checked.
    Thank you, Lord_Emsworth, that has solved this issue for me.

Your analysis is correct, your guidance clear and, yes, you won your bet.
    Last edited by Tallowwood; 20-May-2011 at 20:57. Reason: Solved